Notices

Old 15th January 2022, 11:04   #81
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
No Simon. The lorry is causing an obstruction, blocking traffic for an extended period of time whereas the car drivers are the affected party.

Just to reiterate, I am not only critical of lorry driver. When the revolution comes and the list is drawn up for the order in which to send road users to the education/correction facilities, the order will be:

1. Cyclists

2. Car drivers/motorcyclists

3. Van drivers

4. Lorry drivers

This is despite myself belonging to the first 2 groups. But some lorry drivers may move up the list if they are found to be defending or sympathetic towards the practice being discussed. We can not defend the indefensible.

Maybe it's time to hang up your keys and cycle clips Maninder, or, just chill, and think of yourself as being better than the rest.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 11:23   #82
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
It as come apparent you dont like any road user appart from your self. Is there a medical term for this meglamania.....
Phil - I think you do me an injustice. My dislike is not limited just to road users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
The only way to deal with the problem Maninder is to get rid of all human beings except you and me and the world would be perfect(you know it makes sense). Chris.S.
We are on the same wavelength, Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Maybe it's time to hang up your keys and cycle clips Maninder, or, just chill, and think of yourself as being better than the rest.
Come on Fred, my enjoyment of motoring is on the up and yet to reach its peak. As for being better than the rest, I thought that had already been well established!

PS I come from your part of the world. Lived in Cranford until 1986. Cycled every day to Lampton school along the A4 when I was young. Then went to Isleworth Polytechnic and motorcycled the route from Cranford on my Yamaha DT175. These days it's too dangerous to drive the route with all the traffic.

Last edited by MSS; 15th January 2022 at 11:26..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 11:48   #83
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:

Come on Fred, my enjoyment of motoring is on the up and yet to reach its peak. As for being better than the rest, I thought that had already been well established!

PS I come from your part of the world. Lived in Cranford until 1986. Cycled every day to Lampton school along the A4 when I was young. Then went to Isleworth Polytechnic and motorcycled the route from Cranford on my Yamaha DT175. These days it's too dangerous to drive the route with all the traffic.
Then you must have visited the grave of"the blood donor"?

Stay safe.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 11:49   #84
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

And th answer to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxOX4YeEUOc

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 15th January 2022 at 11:55..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 13:47   #85
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post

And th answer to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxOX4YeEUOc

I'm not sure of the relevance of the video. We were born and remain proper working class peasants here. Lampton school was a comprehensive for peasants.
Old 17th January 2022, 15:21   #86
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
Well that's just plain wrong. You may be surprised to know just what difference a speed gap of 2 or 3 mph will make on a long tramp, say from London to Manchester. It can make the difference between arriving at your time-booked destination on time or late (entailing getting put to the back of the queue or even being turned away) or making it there within your 4.5 hour maximum driving time without having to take a 45 minute break en-route.

And if you really think lorry drivers are going to rank up behind the slowest lorry forming a miles-long train of HGV's, l suggest you give your head a prolonged wobble.

That's not to say that there are no bl**dy-minded lorry drivers out there, that won't give way when being overtaken by a slightly faster truck but you have to take the rough with the smooth when vehicles are speed-governed. And when they start speed limiting vans too, you'll be recalling with nostalgia the days when it was just the lorries holding you back.
And the comment on middle lane hoggers is particularly relevant too. Personally, these days when it is so endemic amongst the driving public, l simply pass on the inside without a qualm.
Don't forget that all remote controlled vehicles could be governed!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 00:24   #87
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

No worries, Kev. I shall continue using my classic cars instead of a shiny new Scalextric.

Quote:
No Simon. The lorry is causing an obstruction, blocking traffic for an extended period of time whereas the car drivers are the affected party.

Just to reiterate, I am not only critical of lorry driver. When the revolution comes and the list is drawn up for the order in which to send road users to the education/correction facilities, the order will be:

1. Cyclists

2. Car drivers/motorcyclists

3. Van drivers

4. Lorry drivers

This is despite myself belonging to the first 2 groups. But some lorry drivers may move up the list if they are found to be defending or sympathetic towards the practice being discussed. We can not defend the indefensible.
All vehicles behind said congestion points are affected.

And rather than defending or being sympathetic to HGV drivers exclusively, l am merely recognising the reality of the situation by coming at it not only from the point of view of an HGV (class one) driver of thirty years standing & therefore having a fairly comprehensive grasp of the challenges & travails of driving those vehicles, but also of being a car driver of forty three years, meaning l'm also very familiar with the challenges & travails of driving a car in my personal life too.
You yourself, Maninder can only come at it from the one point of view, & being that the major source of road-occurring challenges/travails of both HGV & car drivers alike is other car drivers anyway, l'm not of a mind to being wholly in agreement with your point of view. And l certainly don't regard an opposing view as coming from an indefensible standpoint, not in the least.
I don't agree with lorry drivers who won't back off slighty to let a (albeit slightly) faster lorry pass on a busy carriageway but l also recognise that (lorry drivers being human notwithstanding) taking into account the way the industry is structured & is run, it's not a practical or reasonable expectation to have the speed of the national HGV fleet, on probably the major part of the country's road network, governed by one of the slower vehicles in that fleet. If remotely-controlled goods vehicles are introduced then that's fine, the industry & drivers will have to adapt but until then we'll all just have to remain as steadfast & tolerant of our fellow roadusers as we always have done.
And those of us who do like the goods we need, essential or not, to be reasonably available, may feel a certain gratitude that there are people who are willing to criss-cross the highways & byways of this great land in order to keep us supplied with them.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 18th January 2022 at 00:27..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 13:33   #88
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Motorways? Boring, featureless, unending, full of bored drivers who can’t wait to get off them and on to normal roads, too many lorries, and again, BORING.

Take the low road and see our beautiful country through every season, with every season having its own changes to marvel at, at a leisurely pace of course.

Not too much time lost either, London to Birmingham takes an hour longer with lots of our wonderful villages, towns and countryside you can actually see. Incidentally the further North you go, via the real country, the more beautiful it gets.

Incidentally if, as a result of another causing a coming-together, it’s at half the speed it would be on a motorway. And, of course in your Rover, ‘tis so much more enjoyable. For longer as well.
Old 18th January 2022, 14:15   #89
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Motorways? Boring, featureless, unending, full of bored drivers who can’t wait to get off them and on to normal roads, too many lorries, and again, BORING.
Couldn't agree more, there's nothing about a motorway that holds your attention and keeps you alert. For a while I worked 12 hour shifts at Motherwell depot about 50 miles away along the M8. More than once driving home after a nightshift I'd slip into "automatic pilot" then realise where I was with no real recollection of the journey prior to that

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 19:42   #90
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

The A5 is an excellent alternative to the M1/M6, which were built to bypass the A5 of course. We went to Ironbridge on a Sunday via A5 a few months back. Breakfast at The Super Sausage up near Towcester set us up nicely for the day. Jack's Hill truckstop is a good alternative too, just out of Towcester.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote