Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th January 2022, 21:27   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Belt faliure is not unique to our cars, a friend with an Audi TT had a new belt replaced at the recomended time by an Audi dealer, after less than a 1000 miles it snapped and the engine was toast. Luckily Audi covered all the costs and a new engine was fitted as she covered less than 6000 miles.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 08:02   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Belt faliure is not unique to our cars ...
Just to keep this in perspective, timing belt failure is extremely rare. In fact I can't remember ever reading a first hand account of it happening to a 1.8 engine and the instances with the KV6 can be counted on one hand. I don't believe that this justifies the stream of scare stories which always follow such infrequent reports.

There is always an explanation waiting to be discovered but sadly it usually remains that way. So over to you Bob!

Simon
Old 13th February 2022, 08:38   #13
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default V6 Cambelt Faliure-Update

Dear All
Just popped into the garage to see the state of my engine after its cambelt issue. They have discouvered the water pump was seized up and is probaly the cause of my car's sad demise!! This was replaced, along with the belts 18 months ago. The heads havent been taken off yet!! Big Russ suggested that the replacements are not as robust as the orginals, anyone else had issues with these pumps on a V6?

Missing my car, I have been driving around in my son's ZR, all the students at school now think I am a boy racer!!
Very best wishes to all,
Bob Walker
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 09:19   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
Dear All
Just popped into the garage to see the state of my engine after its cambelt issue.
Quote:
They have discouvered the water pump was seized up and is probaly the cause of my car's sad demise!! This was replaced, along with the belts 18 months ago.
The heads havent been taken off yet!! Big Russ suggested that the replacements are not as robust as the orginals, anyone else had issues with these pumps on a V6?

Missing my car, I have been driving around in my son's ZR, all the students at school now think I am a boy racer!!
Very best wishes to all,
Bob Walker
HI Bob.
What make was the water pump, and belts, purchased from where ? you maybe able to get some recourse.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 18:43   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
... the water pump was seized up ... This was replaced, along with the belts 18 months ago.
Thanks very much for this update Bob. I'm fairly sure, from memory, that you're not the first to experience this although it's not a common occurrence. I've always been cautious about preventative replacements, preferring to stick with the less popular idea that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I'm sorry to hear that you've had such bad, and expensive, luck.

Simon
Old 13th February 2022, 19:19   #16
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

By an odd co-incidence, Russell Walsh (the chap who sorted my piston slap issue) has just posted on his Facebook page regarding a KV6 rebuild he has just completed. It had also suffered a snapped cambelt, which was caused by a seized water pump.

I'm starting to think the old approach of always replacing the pump at belt time may not always be best practice - particularly if mileage is reasonable.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 19:32   #17
VickersVC10

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
By an odd co-incidence, Russell Walsh (the chap who sorted my piston slap issue) has just posted on his Facebook page regarding a KV6 rebuild he has just completed. It had also suffered a snapped cambelt, which was caused by a seized water pump.

I'm starting to think the old approach of always replacing the pump at belt time may not always be best practice - particularly if mileage is reasonable.

Cliff
I think a visual inspection of the pump for leaks and also play in the bearing is key, along with buying a decent quality water pump.

It's all well and good saying' if it's not broken don't fix it, but if the water pump begins to leak after the belts have been changed, its twice the labour costs.
VickersVC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 19:45   #18
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

what make and where are these pumps coming from. ? i will be doing my belts again soon and i am thinking of a pump replacement. i have a rimmers top priced pump and one from dmgrs which was half the price. both could be very good replacements , but i still need to choose , as they look pretty much identical. i was lucky enough to find a new old stock kv6 pump , which is still doing the business. it seems a gamble not to change it and again if i do. i would not be so concerned if i had off road or garage facilities in my favour, but i dont unfortunately. ... weather and no off road work areas are real issues.....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 20:04   #19
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickersVC10 View Post
I think a visual inspection of the pump for leaks and also play in the bearing is key, along with buying a decent quality water pump.

It's all well and good saying' if it's not broken don't fix it, but if the water pump begins to leak after the belts have been changed, its twice the labour costs.
Sensible advice .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 20:10   #20
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I always try and get a pump with a metal impellor as opposed to the plastic ones.