Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th February 2022, 19:38   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

lidl--------------Cheap and cheer full.---Will do most average things well.

Depends on how great your need is.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 20:32   #12
Bazzateer

I have a 24v Clarke which is great for the big jobs and an 18v Ryobi for more general stuff.
Old 12th February 2022, 16:56   #13
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have the same one and mines never failed! 🤘
I'm glad to read this as I have one too as I intend to purchase a diseasal 75 sooner or later again.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 18:06   #14
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

I had a Clarke cordless impact wrench for a few years but it was not really man enough to undo the wheel nuts when they were very tight. The last time I used it the battery expired right in the middle of replacing some front discs highly inconvenient! When I tried to replace the battery yes you guessed it NLA.

I therefore decided to replace it with an alternative make so I purchased a Kielder KWT - 012 which has a rated torque of 700Nm. It is compact and lightweight but there is no way it reaches anything like 700Nm. I sent it back to Kielder and they issued a report "Torque test carried out at 315Nm on a 22mm fastening and took 2.5 seconds to undo".

I was using it to remove the hub nut on an MG RV8 their explanation was that it was probably wedged on, I don't get that. The recommended tightening torque is 235NmI and even if it had been overtightened I still think it should have removed it. Had to use a breaker bar to remove it in the end. I would have expected an impact wrench rated at 700Nm to have removed it. I think their rated figure is somewhat optimistic. Therefore I am not impressed so my advice would be to avoid this make.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 19:13   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
I had a Clarke cordless impact wrench for a few years but it was not really man enough to undo the wheel nuts when they were very tight. The last time I used it the battery expired right in the middle of replacing some front discs highly inconvenient! When I tried to replace the battery yes you guessed it NLA.

I therefore decided to replace it with an alternative make so I purchased a Kielder KWT - 012 which has a rated torque of 700Nm. It is compact and lightweight but there is no way it reaches anything like 700Nm. I sent it back to Kielder and they issued a report "Torque test carried out at 315Nm on a 22mm fastening and took 2.5 seconds to undo".

I was using it to remove the hub nut on an MG RV8 their explanation was that it was probably wedged on, I don't get that. The recommended tightening torque is 235NmI and even if it had been overtightened I still think it should have removed it. Had to use a breaker bar to remove it in the end. I would have expected an impact wrench rated at 700Nm to have removed it. I think their rated figure is somewhat optimistic. Therefore I am not impressed so my advice would be to avoid this make.

Martin
All manufacturers 'over rate' their wrenches - check out reviews and tests on youtube for them. When they claim 700nm, this could actually mean tightening torque (I think most quote this), and basically this could actually be continually tightening a nut or bolt starting with a full battery until the battery dies! (it is a ridiculous and unfair claim, but not necessarily false unfortunately)

undoing torque figures should also be quoted in the specs, and the majority that I watched seem to be effectively half the advertised torque figures (in real life tests I have watched).

I tried a comparative and very unscientific test. My kielder 002 will undo the wheel nuts after I tightened them (but not driven on) to 150nm (via torque wrench). It did it after about 30 seconds. The parkside (lidl) one did another bolt tightened to the same rate slightly quicker, but quite a bit noisier.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:40   #16
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I have a "Kielder" 1/2" drive on the way. Review to follow. Mike
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:46   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I have a "Kielder" 1/2" drive on the way. Review to follow. Mike
Dont be disheartened at first like I was. Apparently it seems.to take a few uses for it to come.to.full strength when new, this seems.to be the case in my experience.

I would advise ear defenders especially when new, as it may take longer than you expect.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 12:01   #18
roverbarmy
This is my second home

It's a used one and I've just tried it on 5 fully torqued wheel nuts on the Sportage and it worked fine (including re-attaching them), still showing full charge on completion. It's half the weight of the more well known brands so should help my weary joints very well! I doubt that I will be needing crank pulleys off etc., as I would probably get bigger jobs done by someone else now. Verdict is, so far, so good!
Old 25th February 2022, 15:26   #19
roverbarmy
This is my second home

This is the one that I now have:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sV1dGqNhcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlSqjpwZwY

Last edited by roverbarmy; 25th February 2022 at 15:29..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote