Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th February 2022, 06:32   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have Avon's on all 4 wheels, sorry but I'll never ever buy Avon's again. ALL 4 have cracks all the way round , down in the bottom of the tread. The front two are only a couple of years old, and the rears probably about 4 years. All have lots of tread, but they will all need to be changed before the next MOT. Last MOT, the tested pointed them out to me.
Never had cracking with any set of Avon's that I have had over 12 years+. Might be something quite recent and |I'll know in 2-3 years time as I'm due a set any time now!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2022, 06:34   #22
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Michelins do that, too, now. I had to replace all 4 of my Primacy all-season tires last fall. Lots of tread and all cracked in the grooves. It seems it is being caused in tires made in Europe because of the EU eco rules affecting the manufacturing process and chemicals used.
Hmmm....my Avon's state UK made? However, if they want to export to EU then they would have to comply to their regs.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 10th February 2022 at 06:35.. Reason: missing words
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2022, 19:31   #23
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

From what I gather, tires are made from carbon black, which is itself produced from soot. I understand regulations have stopped them using the materials like they used to. Eco yet again. Now we have tires that fall apart before wearing out.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 19:26   #24
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

I've paid most attention to tyres for my motorcycles, less so for the cars.

Many years ago, Dunlop K70 and they were good but I have found Avon to be the best all round tyre.

I just had to fit a Landsail on the 75 tourer CDTi because that's what they had in 16" without me having to wait for an order to come in. It's been fine so far, and the others are Nexen. I have tended to wear out tyres long before they fail from age.

The ZT-T is, I think, all Pirelli and they stick well.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 10:05   #25
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I had Hankook tires on it when I bought it, and I used them until they were worn out with no sign of any cracks.

I'll be fitting 4 Hankook next time.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 22:02   #26
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I had Hankook tires on it when I bought it, and I used them until they were worn out with no sign of any cracks.

I'll be fitting 4 Hankook next time.
I'm a big fan of Hankook, when I was operating an articulated lorry it was my preferred brand. There's an expression in road transport- "You only fit a Goodyear if you are having a bad year" but I never had any problems with Hankook tyres. They are OEM tyres for the Toyota Corolla in the US and Toyota wouldn't send cars out with inferior tyres.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 10:30   #27
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

There are 2 tyres that I like depending on budget. For mid range a Uniroyal Rainsport 5 is hands down the best tyre for the value, they do wear quick, but they grip really well. If you've got money to burn Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, these are amazing tyres, and grip really well, I can put the 345bhp down on my 535D very easily with them and can even squeeze the throttle on a bend! But they are nearly a grand for a full set for my car
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 22:21   #28
Bazzateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
There are 2 tyres that I like depending on budget. For mid range a Uniroyal Rainsport 5 is hands down the best tyre for the value, they do wear quick, but they grip really well. If you've got money to burn Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, these are amazing tyres, and grip really well, I can put the 345bhp down on my 535D very easily with them and can even squeeze the throttle on a bend! But they are nearly a grand for a full set for my car
I have the PSs on my 530d and agree they're great. They replaced some RSs which again, I agree are great tyres.
Old 15th February 2022, 10:05   #29
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I had 4 Avon's fitted to my ZT-T and they cracked within six thousand miles. I complained to Avon who said they were guaranteed for 6 years and I should contact the retailers for them to be returned. They would then send them back yo them for inspection and if found to be a manufacturing fault the retailer will refund me based on tread left.

They then said that the issue was well known to them and caused by the restrictions placed on them by E.U. regs on the materials they were allowed to use. They hoped they had fixed it but as my tyres were ZV5's so it doesn't look like they have. I purchased Khumos which performed better any way.

As for getting my money back I did from 2 purchased from Black Circles but not for the 2 I got from a local Tyre retailer. They said that their supplier lost them and so Avon would not pay out.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 12:31   #30
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I had 4 Avon's fitted to my ZT-T and they cracked within six thousand miles. I complained to Avon who said they were guaranteed for 6 years and I should contact the retailers for them to be returned. They would then send them back yo them for inspection and if found to be a manufacturing fault the retailer will refund me based on tread left.

They then said that the issue was well known to them and caused by the restrictions placed on them by E.U. regs on the materials they were allowed to use. They hoped they had fixed it but as my tyres were ZV5's so it doesn't look like they have. I purchased Khumos which performed better any way.

As for getting my money back I did from 2 purchased from Black Circles but not for the 2 I got from a local Tyre retailer. They said that their supplier lost them and so Avon would not pay out.
You should identify the local retailer so others will know they cannot be trusted. Avon's honesty and willingness to refund is refreshing.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote