Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2022, 16:58   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

As much as we moan about the price if we keep on buying it the price will keep going up. As we all need it to keep out wheels moving unless we find an alternative fuel we have no choice. My wife who has the choice of either working from home or can return to the office has decided she will only go in once a week and I think she wont be on her own if people have the choice.

I am not defending the oil companies but they are selling a product that is going to run out one day and we are inevitably going to use less and less of it as Electric vehicles come along and we go away from using Hydrocarbon based fuel.

I wonder if companies like Esso,Shell and BP will still exist in another 100 years?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 07:58   #12
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
As much as we moan about the price if we keep on buying it the price will keep going up. As we all need it to keep out wheels moving unless we find an alternative fuel we have no choice. My wife who has the choice of either working from home or can return to the office has decided she will only go in once a week and I think she wont be on her own if people have the choice.

I am not defending the oil companies but they are selling a product that is going to run out one day and we are inevitably going to use less and less of it as Electric vehicles come along and we go away from using Hydrocarbon based fuel.

I wonder if companies like Esso,Shell and BP will still exist in another 100 years?

All the major oil companies have been buying up EV charging networks the length & breadth of the EU/UK, I think the Total oil company now owns the biggest EV charging network in London & Shell & BP have made huge inroads in the EV charging network in the UK.
BP rebranded the charging companies it acquired & is now called BP Pulse & Shell now owns the Ubitricity network. https://chargedevs.com/newswire/oil-...es-ubitricity/

They're now on the cusp of profitability with the charging network it seems. https://electrek.co/2022/01/16/bp-cl...han-gas-pumps/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 11:24   #13
Borg Warner

None

I've just been robbed.

£93 it's just cost me to fill up.

It only cost me £70 last time.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 12:48   #14
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
I've just been robbed.

£93 it's just cost me to fill up.

It only cost me £70 last time.
Just cost me £85 to fill the Bear up.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 18:05   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
How can it cost a bit more to get out of the ground once the well has been sunk
it still comes up through the same hole, my brother in law was in the oil business for year and according to him they find oil cap it, then move on to another site then do the same thing.
That is so. But the Opec cartel and the gulf states can reduce or increase. Before 2020 the gulf states tried to keep market share and deny Russia a larger share, hence the price war and the lower price.

I think that when demand went above the low's of 2020 certain countries (such as Saudi Arabia) did not increase their production in line with this and thus created a "tightness in availability" and then countries had to start paying monetary premiums to secure supplies. Simmmples!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 18:43   #16
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's an old parable, but blessings do sometimes come disguised.

Last July I suffered a broken neck and as a result decided to stop driving my beloved 75 for the foreseeable future. The surgery was extensive and I was warned it would be ‘quite some time’ before I could be considered capable enough to resume normal activities.

I regained composure a lot later, on a ward, and the operating surgeon was remarkably chipper, not unlike a dog with two,er, tails.

I surrendered my licence, cancelled the insurance and AA and didn’t renew the MOT. The road tax got cancelled as well. Then, and only then, I actually got my first free bus pass. Oh, what a mixed blessing. So it’s now been 8 months without buying fuel. At last, a plus side.

Add the fuel saving to the insurance etc/etc and it must come to close to around £1000. Substitute two taxis a week to the shops coming to around £150 leaves about £850 to the good. Of course, the loss of Rover amenities, it’s just sitting there – glaring at me, is immeasurable. Intervening reports from various medics are encouraging and hope springs eternal so I’m looking forward to late summer and a new dawn.

It’s a bit of a mixed blessing to tell the truth. Right from my childhood I’ve wanted (and dreamed of) a brass plate with my name on it. Now, I’ve got three of them in the back of my neck and halfway down my back with nineteen left-handed screws and, oh, a scar to end all competition and bragging rights and I can’t even see any of them. It’s an ill wind.....
Old 17th February 2022, 08:33   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
It's an old parable, but blessings do sometimes come disguised.

Last July I suffered a broken neck and as a result decided to stop driving my beloved 75 for the foreseeable future. The surgery was extensive and I was warned it would be ‘quite some time’ before I could be considered capable enough to resume normal activities.

I regained composure a lot later, on a ward, and the operating surgeon was remarkably chipper, not unlike a dog with two,er, tails.

I surrendered my licence, cancelled the insurance and AA and didn’t renew the MOT. The road tax got cancelled as well. Then, and only then, I actually got my first free bus pass. Oh, what a mixed blessing. So it’s now been 8 months without buying fuel. At last, a plus side.

Add the fuel saving to the insurance etc/etc and it must come to close to around £1000. Substitute two taxis a week to the shops coming to around £150 leaves about £850 to the good. Of course, the loss of Rover amenities, it’s just sitting there – glaring at me, is immeasurable. Intervening reports from various medics are encouraging and hope springs eternal so I’m looking forward to late summer and a new dawn.

It’s a bit of a mixed blessing to tell the truth. Right from my childhood I’ve wanted (and dreamed of) a brass plate with my name on it. Now, I’ve got three of them in the back of my neck and halfway down my back with nineteen left-handed screws and, oh, a scar to end all competition and bragging rights and I can’t even see any of them. It’s an ill wind.....
So we are lucky to have you with us, given the seriousness of your injury. 100% to the surgeon and the team who carried out the repairs and 100% Ray for getting through what must have been a very worrying and painful time.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 12:52   #18
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Just been talking to a neighbour across the back who uses filtered used cooking oil in his old Mercedes 200, He's just unloaded 3 x 20ltr containers of new vegetable oil from a cash & carry in Bolton that costs 97p/litre, What's diesel these days £1.56/litre? He said he doesn't need to filter used cooking oil at this price

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 19:17   #19
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Just cost me £85 to fill the Bear up.
I filled my van up on Wednesday night at 151.9 ppl after hearing crude oil had gone up.
Mrs Andy filled the 75 on Thursday morning at 152.9 ppl, cost over £90 for the tank full.

Recon we'll go slightly further than you on a full tank Bob....

The government could easily reduce vat on fuel, seeing as it is proportional to wholesale cost. 20% of £1.20 or 15% of £1.56 it'd be almost the same amount of duty.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 27th February 2022 at 19:20..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 19:42   #20
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post

The government could easily reduce vat on fuel, seeing as it is proportional to wholesale cost. 20% of £1.20 or 15% of £1.56 it'd be almost the same amount of duty.

They could but the government need the money to start paying back all this money they have borrowed over the last couple of years so is unlikely. Also giving the Ukraine weapons is not cheap and unless Boris has a money tree in his back garden this needs paying for.

Sadly we need to get used to higher taxes for the forsealable future. As I have said before we all need these fuels and they know this, in truth even if you do 12k a year the extra cost is going to cost most people less than £4 a week.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote