Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd March 2022, 16:22   #41
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
Hi Steve After our good friend Macafee2 took a look at my photos, he informed me that my compensator required changing, and that you carried a stock of Stainless compensators. If that's the case may I purchase one from you, would you be good enough to either PM with details or post on forum...Many thanks Caskin
Hi Derek , you will need to contact Steve by PM, he goes by the name of Artic on here. if your not sure how to do it , click on user cp, scroll down to new private message, and follow the instructions from there.
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:31   #42
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for prompt reply, looks like I will be changing compensator after all!!Although I'm still puzzled as to how the handbrake worked so well until my mucky paws touched it!!
How do I go about ordering one from Arctic?
As you say whilst I'm there might as well do it ,its not as if it difficult!!! thanks to help from forum/
Quote:
Hi Steve After our good friend Macafee2 took a look at my photos, he informed me that my compensator required changing, and that you carried a stock of Stainless compensators. If that's the case may I purchase one from you, would you be good enough to either PM with details or post on forum...Many thanks Caskin
HI Derek.
I will send you a PM or you send me one which ever is easier for you, yes the compensator as stretched, once you fit the new one you should only have to adjust at the front cable i will also put a black clip in the compensator when i send it to you just in case the other one snaps or gets lost

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:50   #43
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
I said what? Damn these busses are heavy
Now I'm going to worry incase the compensator is fine.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:55   #44
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I said what? Damn these busses are heavy
Now I'm going to worry incase the compensator is fine.

macafee2
Your going to worry, what do you think Im going to do!!

No seriously, only too pleased for your experience to spot what I could not. Arctic confirms your findings so all's well with the world!! and my compensator!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:17   #45
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Thanks again,only water around at the moment is outside of the car which I have been kneeling in to get this problem over and done with. Compensator ordered via Arctic,so hopefully fitting it will cure my rover blues!!Appreciate fitting tips will bear in mind as time arrives.
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:39   #46
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Thanks again,only water around at the moment is outside of the car which I have been kneeling in to get this problem over and done with.
Quote:
Compensator ordered via Arctic,so hopefully fitting it will cure my rover blues!!Appreciate fitting tips will bear in mind as time arrives.
Hi Derek.
Packed and ready to post out in he morning for you, once it arrives seeing as you have cut the carpet all you need to do is at the front handbrake adjustment is back off the 13mm nut to the end of the thread.

Then with the metal cover removed at the rear, remove the black clip, by pressing in the ends, then pop out the front cable, remove the compensator from the rear cables.

fit the new one to the front cable first, add the black spring clip, then pop in the two rear cables, reach between the front seat and pull the handbrake up one click or two.

Replace the metal cover, replace the torn /cut carpet lower the console, then from the passenger side tighten up the front adjuster nut, so that there is 25mm or less maybe 23mm of thread showing from off the top of the nut.

you should have an handbrake that will hold on three clicks solid, as you have already adjusted the the rear drums with the old compensator.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2022, 14:26   #47
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Derek.
Packed and ready to post out in he morning for you, once it arrives seeing as you have cut the carpet all you need to do is at the front handbrake adjustment is back off the 13mm nut to the end of the thread.

Then with the metal cover removed at the rear, remove the black clip, by pressing in the ends, then pop out the front cable, remove the compensator from the rear cables.

fit the new one to the front cable first, add the black spring clip, then pop in the two rear cables, reach between the front seat and pull the handbrake up one click or two.

Replace the metal cover, replace the torn /cut carpet lower the console, then from the passenger side tighten up the front adjuster nut, so that there is 25mm or less maybe 23mm of thread showing from off the top of the nut.

you should have an handbrake that will hold on three clicks solid, as you have already adjusted the the rear drums with the old compensator.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526
HI Steve All done and dusted,3 clicks and handbrake holding just fine. Cannot thank you enough, plus the other forum members that assisted in getting me out of this hole!
I have included a few pics,the first one to show the incredible difference between your supplied compensator, and my original one! It might just bring home to other members what a stretched compensator looks like,as I certainly had no idea.
Ive also included some photo's of the carpet now back in position mainly clamped down by the console. As can be seen, cut marks are very slight . Once the copydex arrives even they will be a thing of the past.I look at it this way,our cars are priceless to us, but on the market, especially now almost worthless, so time becomes precious and short cuts done properly causes very few problems. One other slight change I had to make, was the replacement of the passenger side console screw,with the seat forward I was finding it nigh on impossible to get the thread to bite ,so I moved seat back as far as possible, which allowed just enough room to start the screw by hand, the seat was then moved forward as much as possible and screw was screwed in very easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1021.jpg (136.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1022.jpg (131.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (136.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 4th March 2022, 16:09   #48
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
HI Steve All done and dusted,3 clicks and handbrake holding just fine. Cannot thank you enough, plus the other forum members that assisted in getting me out of this hole!
I have included a few pics,the first one to show the incredible difference between your supplied compensator, and my original one! It might just bring home to other members what a stretched compensator looks like,as I certainly had no idea.
Ive also included some photo's of the carpet now back in position mainly clamped down by the console. As can be seen, cut marks are very slight . Once the copydex arrives even they will be a thing of the past.I look at it this way,our cars are priceless to us, but on the market, especially now almost worthless, so time becomes precious and short cuts done properly causes very few problems. One other slight change I had to make, was the replacement of the passenger side console screw,with the seat forward I was finding it nigh on impossible to get the thread to bite ,so I moved seat back as far as possible, which allowed just enough room to start the screw by hand, the seat was then moved forward as much as possible and screw was screwed in very easily.

I can breath a sigh of relief now

glad it is all sorted

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2022, 16:36   #49
Bazzateer

Jeez!

What were those made of, cheese?
Old 4th March 2022, 16:39   #50
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I can breath a sigh of relief now

glad it is all sorted

macafee2
Thanks....Ive just started breathing again!!!