Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2022, 10:07   #231
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I have a confession to make. I don’t want to spend what’s left of my life crawling under the stairs to see how much ‘energy’ I’m using. Taking and supplying a reading is one thing but trying to work out how much I can’t pay for is quite another. We are not stupid - we know when we are cold and when we need hot water. After all, that’s what the thermostat and programmer are for.

It’s only smart, for the supplier, because it allows them to avoid the trouble of taking those unable to pay the exorbitant rates to court before they can gain access to your home for a termination of supply. Of course, it also allows the unbroken stream of profit and huge salaries. So, the meter can be turned off remotely with absolutely no fuss or palaver. That’s not very smart for the customer.

Now, if we had a recovery from this madness of responding to activists with new world fantasies and being held to ransom by the likes of Russia et al for oil and gas, and returned to using our own vast resources once again, we might regain some independence. We could even export it. Only to worthy customers, of course. Talk about sitting on a gold mine...

Doesn't it seem a bit odd, after all that hype about electric cars being the way out of a looming Doomsday, that they are now seen as rather poor value? Talk about sitting on another gold mine.
I agree i dont want to scrawl around looking at th meter or send meter readings. Iv had th meter read in th past and its been incorrect causing chaos for weeks. So for me its a help. Th smart meter can be placed anywere at your convenience. No need to send meter reads. As iv said its a bonus when its saved us money, whilst living in comfort.. Iv also not heard of th providers turning off supplies remotely. I thought there was a procedure for this and decided in court. Maybe someone who works in this matter could clarify? I wouldnt worry about been cut off as buying and paying for stuff is usual commerce.

I have a dislike for big brother but i way up th positives and negs and so it suits us.
Old 5th March 2022, 14:09   #232
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

My Brother had a smart meter fitted a couple of years ago, immediately his bills doubled so he complained and asked for it to be checked. They did and was told his old meter must have been under reading. He turned his heating down, only switched lights on when in a room and still the bills were a lot higher. As an experiment he switched everything off and the meter was still showing energy usage so he managed to get another check and the second engineer agreed there was a problem.

It was replaced but he still does not trust it. The crazy part he had to get a solicitor involved to get a refund.

I will be sticking with the old meter as long as I can.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2022, 18:53   #233
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

A tangent maybe, but relevant.

The subject of a sum of money being paid to us all to ‘help with financial difficulty’ (whether you want it or not) and to be repaid at a later date could have unintended consequences. This payment may well have a contingency of being, under certain situations, a debt of your estate.

Consider what could happen in the event of the early demise of the recipient before any repayment is made. Claims against the estate of the deceased? Could there be a court case with a legal judgement? Then there could be the ensuing question of ‘costs’ of HMGOV lawyers? If so, what a way to shuffle off the mortal coil to have it replaced by a stranglehold on your survivors? What about a possible challenge to your will? How much credibility can be attached to glib promises of a bright new yonder?

Why is the cause of the current malady being ignored, namely absolutely uncontrolled largesse and impecunious habits of HM Treasury? If that is the measure of HM Treasury and a model of financial responsibility heaven help us all.
Or am I missing something?
Old 6th March 2022, 04:26   #234
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
A tangent maybe, but relevant.

The subject of a sum of money being paid to us all to ‘help with financial difficulty’ (whether you want it or not) and to be repaid at a later date could have unintended consequences. This payment may well have a contingency of being, under certain situations, a debt of your estate.

Consider what could happen in the event of the early demise of the recipient before any repayment is made. Claims against the estate of the deceased? Could there be a court case with a legal judgement? Then there could be the ensuing question of ‘costs’ of HMGOV lawyers? If so, what a way to shuffle off the mortal coil to have it replaced by a stranglehold on your survivors? What about a possible challenge to your will? How much credibility can be attached to glib promises of a bright new yonder?

Why is the cause of the current malady being ignored, namely absolutely uncontrolled largesse and impecunious habits of HM Treasury? If that is the measure of HM Treasury and a model of financial responsibility heaven help us all.
Or am I missing something?
Good morning Ray, a scary scenario. Is it hypothetical or real about the government loan? I know of a member who is a consultant for HM Inland Revenue, perhaps he could give an opinion, or maybe not.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2022, 13:36   #235
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Having no inside info, it's hypothetical. Maybe it's no more than merely my paranoia which has developed in leaps and bounds over the years Phil.

Obviously, there has been no info available of a technical nature so far and I suspect there won't be. There definitely will be many who will be glad of a bit of relief at the time and I sympathise with that predicament.

It’s just that to my eyes, those who get to decide what’s good for us are a curious blend of a travelling Wild West medicine man and Fagin.

As an aside, I wonder why National Assistance was renamed Social Services? A tad too close to the mark, maybe?

A reference from such a person on the inside you mention would be welcome. It’s hypo, until it isn’t.

After many years in the financial world, entirely devoid of any financial investments in the lottery that is the share market, I retain a deep lack of trust in 'the market'. For HMGOV to rely on suspect future growth is irresponsible if not fraudulent. Oh, and I refuse to 'borrow'.
Old 6th March 2022, 15:29   #236
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Having no inside info, it's hypothetical. Maybe it's no more than merely my paranoia which has developed in leaps and bounds over the years Phil.

Obviously, there has been no info available of a technical nature so far and I suspect there won't be. There definitely will be many who will be glad of a bit of relief at the time and I sympathise with that predicament.

It’s just that to my eyes, those who get to decide what’s good for us are a curious blend of a travelling Wild West medicine man and Fagin.

As an aside, I wonder why National Assistance was renamed Social Services? A tad too close to the mark, maybe?

A reference from such a person on the inside you mention would be welcome. It’s hypo, until it isn’t.

After many years in the financial world, entirely devoid of any financial investments in the lottery that is the share market, I retain a deep lack of trust in 'the market'. For HMGOV to rely on suspect future growth is irresponsible if not fraudulent. Oh, and I refuse to 'borrow'.
Re the "I refuse to borrow" bit. Many years ago someone said to my wife and I only fools have mortgages and they were going to save up an buy their home for cash. Now at 56 they still live at home with mummy, waiting for her to die so they can inherit her house.
I'm with you, don't borrow but there are a couple of exceptions, mortgage being one

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2022, 16:30   #237
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

'Only fools and horses have mortgages' sounds like it comes from a mouth with a spoon in it. A motto of my secondary school, 1952, maths teacher sticks in my mind to this day:

Nary a borrower nor a lender be
Save thy fate shall surely be
A life in hell
And there ye shall dwell
‘till bloodless, hopeless and... free?
Old 8th March 2022, 11:15   #238
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:

Hello Ray,

I have never known the member I referred to ever become involved in any discussions other than car related posts. On seeing him at a meet he did give me some knowledgeable free advice pertaining to inland revenue and inheritance.

I think it’s useful being a bit paranoid when it comes to government and what do they really know?

Several years ago, I was asked to do an urgent Medi Vac from St Petersburg in Russia. I had no time to get a visa, so when I rang up the duty officer at the Foreign Office, he said “you will have to buy your way into the country if you have no visa. He added, whatever you do, don’t fly into Moscow without a visa. If you do, you will be deported”.

His information was spot on. Based on facts and not paranoia.

Here in Kenya it pays to be careful/paranoid in particular when writing on social media. I have known foreigners to be deported for writing anti government views on Facebook etc,
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2022, 11:52   #239
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
........... I have known foreigners to be deported for writing anti government views on Facebook etc,

Exactly why I am always pro-monarchy on the forum. I like it here in Suffolk!
Old 8th March 2022, 15:22   #240
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I realised long ago that to post absolutely anything on so-called 'social' media is ultimately and too often anything but. As I have no personal or direct experience of 'it' though, I'll the first to admit it's irrational of me. So, call me Refusenick. Or indeed, Tolpuddle.