Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2022, 21:58   #1
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Default Timing belt age (not Rover specific)

I have just acquired a 1999 Renault Megane Cabriolet which is in practically mint condition so thinking I might have some summer fun. The timing belt was changed 6k miles ago in 2012, so I decided it must be renewed.

I bought a new belt from ECP, when it arrived it was dated 2016, after an argument their customer service agent accepted that, if fitted, it would be beyond the recommended Renault's 5 year timescale and agreed to send a replacement. That arrived today dated 2015, I gave up and have agreed a refund after ECP said they couldn't check dates before despatch.

Just wondering what views members have on the viability of fitting a belt that's been 'on the shelf' for 6 years? Due to the likely low volume sales of this item I wouldn't expect to have a belt newly manufactured and up to 2 years old is I think acceptable. I am now going to shop local so I can check belt before buying, meanwhile the job is not getting done!
I would welcome opinions.
Thanks Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2022, 05:09   #2
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

I would suspect that this is one of those rare occasions when a trip to a main dealer might be the way to go, I would imagine, rightly or wrongly, that they would try to mitigate running the risk of a warranty claim on belts they fit themselves so would exercise some type of stock control here.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:55   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

There are a lot of motor factors about and most will deal with you. You can examine the item while there, most will get a fresh one for you if available.

The problem could be these are made in batches.

If the belt has been stored in a plastic bag in a box will not have degraded but if hung on a hook in the sunlight it is best avoided.

On a similar note one of the members of the local classic car club purchased a set of new tyres for his Capri, on closer inspection they were 4 years old even though they were purchased from a tyre dealer, when he returned they were not interested in sorting it out.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2022, 07:08   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Have you tried to see what other makes use the same engine ?

Link below may help ?

https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/car-...belt-set/11490

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:24   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Just wondering what views members have on the viability of fitting a belt that's been 'on the shelf' for 6 years?
Provided that it's been stored properly Tony, it's absolutely no problem. My timing belts were in service for 19 years and when removed were in perfect condition (and I'm not the only one either).

Simon
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:07   #6
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
There are a lot of motor factors about and most will deal with you. You can examine the item while there, most will get a fresh one for you if available.

The problem could be these are made in batches.

If the belt has been stored in a plastic bag in a box will not have degraded but if hung on a hook in the sunlight it is best avoided.

On a similar note one of the members of the local classic car club purchased a set of new tyres for his Capri, on closer inspection they were 4 years old even though they were purchased from a tyre dealer, when he returned they were not interested in sorting it out.
Thanks, I've done just that, my local factors have agreed to order one in and let me check date first before purchase. However they have a hunch that due to age of vehicle the belt that arrives could also be aged as its likely no recent production runs.
Southern Star's suggestion is probably the only route to find recent dated production.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:15   #7
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Have you tried to see what other makes use the same engine ?

Link below may help ?

https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/car-...belt-set/11490
Thanks Steve, I've gone to my local GSF to see what they come up with. ECP offered Dayco but Contitechs turned up each time, (apparently same firm) so make would have been ok.
I suspect that because of the lack of demand no-one will carry the item in stock that can be checked. The engine is the economy 8 valve variant which also seems less common but on the plus side is a much more straightforward swap.
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:29   #8
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Provided that it's been stored properly Tony, it's absolutely no problem. My timing belts were in service for 19 years and when removed were in perfect condition (and I'm not the only one either).

Simon
Thanks Simon, it's an interesting topic, I think you are probably right. I wonder how many people actually look at date, I was only made aware few years back when I bought a VW belt which clearly stated (iirc) a fit by date, same principle with tyres.
The 6 year old belt is certainly newer than the 10 year old that's fitted and that's only done 1000mls since it was due for changing on an age basis. As the car has always been kept in a dry airy garage I suspect that the belt that's fitted will still look new. It will be interesting to have a look under the cover to see if the belt shows a date and if so how old it was when it was fitted.
I'll see what my local factors come up with and go from there.
Old 24th March 2022, 17:59   #9
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Default The Outcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Thanks Simon, it's an interesting topic, I think you are probably right. I wonder how many people actually look at date, I was only made aware few years back when I bought a VW belt which clearly stated (iirc) a fit by date, same principle with tyres.
The 6 year old belt is certainly newer than the 10 year old that's fitted and that's only done 1000mls since it was due for changing on an age basis. As the car has always been kept in a dry airy garage I suspect that the belt that's fitted will still look new. It will be interesting to have a look under the cover to see if the belt shows a date and if so how old it was when it was fitted.
I'll see what my local factors come up with and go from there.
The belt that my local factor sourced was a Hutchinson, made in France, and had no dates that I could decipher anywhere indicating a production/fit by date. On the basis that the box was fairly pristine and fresh looking I will fbe fitting it

Not very scientific but best logic I can come up with. LOL