Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2022, 12:20   #191
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

If the BBC news on now is to be believed, then the Russian army really is not up to a war where the foot solider is key. Non working equipment, unreliable equipment.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 12:23   #192
Twisterboy
Loves to post

75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
If the BBC news on now is to be believed, then the Russian army really is not up to a war where the foot solider is key. Non working equipment, unreliable equipment.

macafee2
I seen that last night with the Russians having 40 year old medical supplies??

2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

51 of 118 Rover 75s to come off the production line on 21st July 2004

71 of only 235 British Racing Green diesel face lift Connoisseur SE saloons with Sandstone Beige Interiors produced worldwide

Mileage April 2022: 120225 or 2914 in my custody
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 18:32   #193
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I hear that the NHS has many containers full of Covid stuff ( face masks etc). Could we donate them to the Russians who need medical help as a balance to supplying missiles to the Ukrainians? Just a thought!
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 18:45   #194
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

It appears what Putin wanted to stop is actually happening:

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/nato...-deter-russia/

NATO really needs to be so careful over the coming days. Any slip up could very quickly have disasterous consequences and play into Putin's hands even more.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Lossimouth and Coningsby QRAs tested a little more.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 20:14   #195
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
I hear that the NHS has many containers full of Covid stuff ( face masks etc). Could we donate them to the Russians who need medical help as a balance to supplying missiles to the Ukrainians? Just a thought!
Was this supposed to be in the humour section? The reason I ask is if the Russians hadnt had blown up the hospitals in Ukraine, they may have had access to local supplies

The supply of missiles and other military equipment IS balance to the reduction in military equipment owned by Ukraine over the years especially since 1997, when they renounced nuclear weapons (as well as others).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 22:48   #196
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I was listening to Nick Ferrari on LBC the other morning,a journalist I have great respect for,and he made a very interesting comment.He said,"If the unthinkable should happen and a nuclear strike was launched against the UK we are confident our missile defense systems will hold up but one may still get through".I'm not sure if he is privvy to things not known to the rest of us but is this realistic in light of the Russian nuclear arsenal? Should we be reassured or is what he said unrealistic? I know the US spent a lot of time on Star Wars but was it ever put in place?

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2022, 05:54   #197
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I was listening to Nick Ferrari on LBC the other morning,a journalist I have great respect for,and he made a very interesting comment.He said,"If the unthinkable should happen and a nuclear strike was launched against the UK we are confident our missile defense systems will hold up but one may still get through".I'm not sure if he is privvy to things not known to the rest of us but is this realistic in light of the Russian nuclear arsenal? Should we be reassured or is what he said unrealistic? I know the US spent a lot of time on Star Wars but was it ever put in place?
I didn't know we had a anti-missile defence

It would only take 4 nukes to disable the UK and these could be contained in one ICBM MIRV cluster. With an ICBM having up to 24 of the blighters then the payload could be programmed to jettison 6 MIRV's to each target at different angles and times.

Oh yes, one is bound to get through.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2022, 08:51   #198
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I didn't know we had a anti-missile defence

It would only take 4 nukes to disable the UK and these could be contained in one ICBM MIRV cluster. With an ICBM having up to 24 of the blighters then the payload could be programmed to jettison 6 MIRV's to each target at different angles and times.

Oh yes, one is bound to get through.

Kev
I don't know either whether we have anti missile defense systems,and let's hope we never find out for sure.I was just asking the question following a comment by a well informed broadcaster.Is it possible to shoot these things down in space before they start lobbing warheads in every direction

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2022, 11:05   #199
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

Russia's military doctrine is very different to that of the West. Their defence spending is 1/15 that of NATO countries which means that they could never hope to survive a 'traditional' war with NATO or even a sub-set of NATO. They have to rely of asymetric weapons - much of their defence spending goes into missile and nuclear technology. This is also the reason that they have a different threshold for the use of nuclear weapons i.e. their doctrine involves the use of tactical nuclear weapons in limited theaters of war. This is also why the US and UK have traditionally had a different posture against the USSR/Russia than the Europeans because a limited nuclear war would be fought on mainland Europe.

It is only in the past 10ish years that the Russians have really tried to modernise their army, its tactics and equipment.
Old 25th March 2022, 12:33   #200
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I don't know either whether we have anti missile defense systems,and let's hope we never find out for sure.I was just asking the question following a comment by a well informed broadcaster.Is it possible to shoot these things down in space before they start lobbing warheads in every direction
Yes it is possible to shoot-'em down. When this became possible they developed the MIRV cluster - harder to hit all targets and more anti-missiles would be needed. Only the Americans at the time invested in the "hit 'em in space" technology and unless we have "purchased a few sets" we would need to roll over for a tickle!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote