Old 6th April 2022, 07:28   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default EDF Energy

This really is a moment.

Email to EDF Energy
When is Cottam Power station due to be demolished?

Reply from EDF

EDF Energy Account Number.
Thank you for your email dated 4th of April and sharing the details. I have cross checked the details and would like to inform that in this email support, we can only assist for the residential to a residential account. If you are referring to any residential account, then kindly share the full property address with post code, so that we can assist you accordingly.

No idea what details they are referring to and cannot, no matter how I try, get their reply to have any bearing on the question.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 08:18   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

That's a reasonable response because a consumer service agent will not be aware of company policy and plans nor authorised to comment on such matters.

You should email the public relations office at EDF with a question such as yours.
Old 6th April 2022, 08:52   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
That's a reasonable response because a consumer service agent will not be aware of company policy and plans nor authorised to comment on such matters.

You should email the public relations office at EDF with a question such as yours.
Without doubt you and I have a different opinion on customer service. Lets go with your train of thought and I emailed the wrong team. The correct reply in my opinion would be something along the lines of "we are the wrong department but we have forwarded your email to the correct team which are blah blah blah" or, wrong department on not, they find out and respond.

I tried the media centre via their web site, after many options I got to talk to someone, they did not understand the question.

Anyway me being me emailed the CEO, the response is and I have shortened the reply, no idea when it will be demolished but may take 2-3 years from start. They have nearly finished the decommissioning

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 6th April 2022 at 09:02..
Old 6th April 2022, 09:09   #4
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Without doubt you and I have a different opinion on customer service. Lets go with your train of thought and I emailed the wrong team. The correct reply in my opinion would be something along the lines of "we are the wrong department but we have forwarded your email to the correct team which are blah blah blah" or, wrong department on not, they find out and respond.

I tried the media centre via their web site, after many options I got to talk to someone, they did not understand the question.

Anyway me being me emailed the CEO, the response is and I have shortened the reply, no idea when it will be demolished but may take 2-3 years from start. They have nearly finished the decommissioning

macafee2
You could try to elicit some info from the County Council.

What type of power station is this?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 09:37   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Bassetlaw District Council is the relevant local authority.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 09:54   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

You should think in regulatory terms and apply your knowledge of BT from your pre-retirement days to this situation. The generating arm of EDF will be operating almost like a separate company from the consumer arm. Similar to Openreach and BT Consumer. A consumer agent in BT could never give out info on Openreach plans or forward emails etc. on ad-hoc basis. It all has to be done via regulated mechanisms within regulatory allowable interactions. Equivalence of Opportunity rules these days.

These days it is wrong to assume that there is a single customer service function within a large company. The regulatory regimes often prevent one part of a utility company from openly sharing information with another part. The people we vote in every 4-5 years have decided this is how it should work, not the companies cocerned.

Last edited by MSS; 6th April 2022 at 09:56..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 10:05   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
You could try to elicit some info from the County Council.

What type of power station is this?

Kev
What type of power station is this? Defunct

primary was coal with oil as secondary.

closed before we bought our house and I hope they do not bring it back into service. We can see the chimneys and perhaps because they were already there, we do not find them an eyesore but we are a couple of miles from them

macafee2
Old 6th April 2022, 10:19   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
You should think in regulatory terms and apply your knowledge of BT from your pre-retirement days to this situation. The generating arm of EDF will be operating almost like a separate company from the consumer arm. Similar to Openreach and BT Consumer. A consumer agent in BT could never give out info on Openreach plans or forward emails etc. on ad-hoc basis. It all has to be done via regulated mechanisms within regulatory allowable interactions. Equivalence of Opportunity rules these days.

These days it is wrong to assume that there is a single customer service function within a large company. The regulatory regimes often prevent one part of a utility company from openly sharing information with another part. The people we vote in every 4-5 years have decided this is how it should work, not the companies concerned.
fully accept what you say but you are missing a very important point, what ever company you work for, you direct the "customer" to the correct contact point be that an individual or another company. If you do not know, find out.
As you can see from a previous reply of mine, the answer was within EDF.

As for BT, dont go there, their CEO received an email from me last week because I was lied to by a customer services agent. They told me I needed windows 10 or 11 to load the new anti virus Norton but I'd already loaded it onto a windows 8 machine so I knew that was not true.

I have worked in customer services for Openreach and if I did not know the answer I'd just go up the management chain until I got the answer or they accepted responsibility for finding out.
I have listened to customer service agents talk to customers and it made me cringe, computer says no, not my job etc etc. JFDI

macafee2
Old 6th April 2022, 11:01   #9
MSS
This is my second home

I have been involved in the design of agent systems as well as spent many hours listening into their calls and meeting senior managers. The problem is that people only want to pay £22.99 for the broadband including line rental (as an example). This means that every agent conversation is timed and those that last longer than a set threshold reviewed. Average agent call handling time is scrutinised as this is a key part of the cost of service provision.

We simply get what we are willing to pay for.

This is the reason I am always extremely polite to service agents, no matter what the service or company, as their behaviour and response is almost always governed by financial policies and imperatives of the company or the regulatory regime.

The agents are just ordinary humans trying to earn a living so there is nothing to be gained from adding a little more misery to their working life.

Last edited by MSS; 6th April 2022 at 11:03..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 12:09   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
I have been involved in the design of agent systems as well as spent many hours listening into their calls and meeting senior managers. The problem is that people only want to pay £22.99 for the broadband including line rental (as an example). This means that every agent conversation is timed and those that last longer than a set threshold reviewed. Average agent call handling time is scrutinised as this is a key part of the cost of service provision.

We simply get what we are willing to pay for.

This is the reason I am always extremely polite to service agents, no matter what the service or company, as their behaviour and response is almost always governed by financial policies and imperatives of the company or the regulatory regime.

The agents are just ordinary humans trying to earn a living so there is nothing to be gained from adding a little more misery to their working life.
By all means be polite but what do you do when you are lied to or receive poor customer service? Poor service could result in customers leaving the company and then not just that agent loses their job but so do others and that does not seem fair on the others, just train or get rid of the bad one. How will a company know they have a problem if customers stay quiet?

macafee2