Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th April 2022, 10:18   #41
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Are we going to cooperate on aerospace projects with our EU neighbours still? Euro fighter must be halfway through its life now, are we going alone? We do need to keep expertise but only if we need what they are producing. The UK needs to be realistic with regard to its current position in the world. It doesn’t really help BoJo pretending to be Churchill.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 10:50   #42
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This gives the correct perspective on defence spending and therefore military capability.

Source: 2022 edition of "The Military Balance" from the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS)

All those who think the Uk is not a significant military power take note.

RankCountrySpending
(US$ bn) 1 United States 738.0 2 China 193.3 3 India 64.1 4 United Kingdom 61.5 5 Russia 60.6 6 France 56.8 7 Germany 51.3 8 Japan 49.7 9 Saudi Arabia 48.5 10 South Korea40.4
Old 13th April 2022, 10:57   #43
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I always find it strange that we immigrants are so proud of the UK's capabilities and ways and the contributions we make to them yet the natives often seem not!

We humans are strange animals.
Old 13th April 2022, 11:28   #44
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
yet the natives often seem not!

Not all..

Although i may be a lil biased i think what we may lack in numbers in some fields we by far make up for that with the professionalism of our services.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 13:46   #45
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ae-2021-09-29/

There was a rather expensive project which looked at installing CATOBAR on the QE class carriers. An angled flight deck as well as new catapult system would be required. It was deemed too expensive and would most likely have resulted in only on carrier being built and used.

So no navalised 'Phoons, F35Cs or less than useless French Rafael's.

God bless the Royal Navy.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 14:10   #46
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post

There was a rather expensive project which looked at installing CATOBAR on the QE class carriers. An angled flight deck as well as new catapult system would be required. It was deemed too expensive and would most likely have resulted in only on carrier being built and used.

Believe it or not, I used to have a pint with one of the team on that project. He confirmed to me that it was still doable at that particular stage of construction of the QE. If is was given the go ahead, those two carriers could have accommodated US naval attack groups (as we would not have the forces necessary).

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 13th April 2022 at 14:12.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 14:16   #47
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

The first casualty of any war is truth, I'm x forces and we punch well above our weight, Should we fear Russia, no, their military are over hyped, corruption is rife and their equipment is not as well maintained as it should be, 90 % of their budget gets stolen,
As regards those murdering scum, who delight in killing unarmed people, lets see how well they come out against well trained disciplined troops, killing un armed people is easy, its not so easy when your the target of an army bent on revenge against you,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 14:29   #48
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Believe it or not, I used to have a pint with one of the team on that project. He confirmed to me that it was still doable at that particular stage of construction of the QE. If is was given the go ahead, those two carriers could have accommodated US naval attack groups (as we would not have the forces necessary).

Kev

The Rafale can use a Ramp - as can the F18 and the Mig29k despite being conventional take-off aircraft. They are on offer to India for the new carriers.
Old 13th April 2022, 15:36   #49
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
The first casualty of any war is truth, I'm x forces and we punch well above our weight, Should we fear Russia, no, their military are over hyped, corruption is rife and their equipment is not as well maintained as it should be, 90 % of their budget gets stolen,
As regards those murdering scum, who delight in killing unarmed people, lets see how well they come out against well trained disciplined troops, killing un armed people is easy, its not so easy when your the target of an army bent on revenge against you,

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment about truth being a casualty in wars, Martin. It would be useful to have your views on something that hasn't really been the subject of comment anywhere. In the early days of the invasion we saw assault rifles being handed out by the Ukranian military to civilians and civilians making molotov cocktails to use against the Russians. I have to confess to having misgivings at the time, wondering whether the acts could make civilians in possession of such things legitimate targets. What's your view as ex-military?
Old 13th April 2022, 17:02   #50
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment about truth being a casualty in wars, Martin. It would be useful to have your views on something that hasn't really been the subject of comment anywhere. In the early days of the invasion we saw assault rifles being handed out by the Ukranian military to civilians and civilians making molotov cocktails to use against the Russians. I have to confess to having misgivings at the time, wondering whether the acts could make civilians in possession of such things legitimate targets. What's your view as ex-military?
My view is this, its lawful to shoot someone who is trying to kill you, but once they are unarmed, they are no longer combatants, and should not pose a threat, you should as quick as is possible move them away from the combat zone and then to a holding camp, its not lawful to tie their hands, blindfold them and kill them, that's breaking military law as I certainly would understand it,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote