Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th February 2022, 15:57   #581
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default A strange affair indeed.

I knew a pair of brothers, Ian and David they were and were close until something happened between them to break that bond. The upshot was that David had to have heart bypass surgery and, after that his personality changed as can happen after that surgery, it's called bypass brain. The small event that was basically nothing was never sorted out and they remained estranged, David went on to have more and more surgery on his fast failing health and got a good few years more. The sad part was that Ian moved house and told no-one where he'd moved to and David died quite suddenly even though his health was poor, Ian didn't get to know for a long time and had a bit of remorse at not knowing nor being at Davids funeral where he was spoken of as being Davids loving brother, no harshness was said and everyone was sad at Ian not being there. In the event, Ian's health was also failing due to kidney problems and he had a heart attack after a session of dialysis, he was revived and taken to hospital where he had three more attacks in short order, his wife agreed to let him go due to the damage his heart had suffered and he was gone, both of them were good people and I attended both funerals, both of them were on their early 60's. It's sad when these sort of things happen.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2022, 13:58   #582
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool In other news……………………..

…………………………. The phone call I got on Wednesday evening came like a shot out of the blue. My niece Laura is now expecting a baby, making me a Great Uncle. Her and her other half Ollie, are going to give up the flat and move back to live with Ollie’s Mum. Then starting looking at house buying. The rent on the flat is £1400 a month, which Ollie has been paying. He works in the computer industry.

Michael is over the moon at the news and that he is going to be a grand dad. Hopefully it will get him into the groove to get the house sorted out. He has had some work done. His last disaster was his chimney falling down. That has been rebuilt along with the other two chimneys.

As some you may know I have had problems regarding the Bear. So far this year I have spent over £1500. My local garage couldn’t get to the bottom of the mis fire. So I brought the car home and contacted Chris Flanagan at Retro Sports Cars. Got the car booked in with him and contacted Shipley about getting the trailered up there. Blake transport and recovery collected the Bear and took her north, a long way north. 322miles in fact.

Whilst the Bear was with Chris I got him to fit a new windscreen bottle, new serpentine belt and give the car the once over. Chris phoned to tell me that the wrong spark plugs were fitted. Wonderful! Anyway he got the other jobs done. I paid the bill over the phone. Then I phoned Blake’s and got them to collect the car and bring her back.
She arrived at 05.50 on Wednesday morning.
Drives like a new car now.

In other news I have been in contact with Elizabeth over in Portugal. Her and family had a great Christmas. And now she is house hunting over there. Her late father’s cars and bikes have been delivered to the house.
Not heard anything from Roger.

We escaped the worst of the storm. No damage at mine but Allen lost most of his guttering plus a few roof tiles. The wind was howling at 78mph.
I stayed in all day Friday. Got a new toy to play with now, a bread maker. First loaf was a total disaster but the rest that I have made have been bloomin’ ‘ansum. Been experimenting with different ingredients.

Waiting on the weather to get a bit better so that I can get out in the garden and start getting it all sorted out. Grass needs cutting front and back.
Got a couple of car meets coming up. I tried to raise interest in a distillery tour. No interest but I did invite the CMGOC and they were keen to join me.
So I went ahead and booked my ticket for the tour. And now the CMGOC have cancelled, so I’m going on my own.

Thanks for reading. Keep safe. Meet up soon.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:48   #583
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Look likes a trip to London……………..

……………………………. Is on the cards following the sad news that I received yesterday. Two friends, not related, have taken the hands of the angels. The scary part is they are both younger than me. Peter was only 55 and Sebastian 58.
Peter dropped dead whilst out walking with his family last weekend. And Seb was in hospital with the big C.

It will be Peters funeral I’ll be attending as Seb lived in Shropshire. I worked with Seb in the Royal Mail. I left in 1993 but Seb stayed on till 2002. Peter I met through my interest in photography. I entered a nationwide competition and Peter was one of the judges. I got a highly commended certificate from Peter at the awards ceremony in the Guildhall in London.

A very posh affair, I had to wear a suit and tie for this. Val came with me, so that cost me a new outfit for her.
At the awards ceremony Peter asked me how I had taken the photo, (I’ll have a look to see if I can find the negative and get reproduced), the original enlarged print is hanging on the wall, or was, in a office in London. I sold the print that night to a chap who who made me a very nice offer.
Peter had asked me where I lived. Turned out he lived in the next road to me but we had never met. He was still living there up to his untimely end.

We are of that age where we can never take things for granted.

Catch up soon.

onen hag oll
Old 11th March 2022, 18:52   #584
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Petrol shortage had stopped me……………

……………………………… going to London for my friend Peter’s funeral. With Banana playing up, again. It would have meant me taking the Bear. So I phoned Peters wife and explained, she said not to worry as there would only be a few family members at the cremation.

On a lighter note, I have turned my hand to baking bread. First loaf made an excellent door stop but after that I have mastered the art. Everything from crusty white, crusty whole meal. Mixed seeds and today’s venture was to make a sourdough loaf. Only trouble is it’s not doing my waistline any good.
But imagine my surprise to find two neighbours who want me to bake them a loaf each.

During the first lockdown a lady in Saltash started making her own bread and now she runs the Saltash Bakery. Makes all her own breads, scones, buns, rolls and something called tear n share.
So there’s hope for me yet.

Last weekend I had a tour of the English Spirit Company Gin Distillery in Tredduick near Launceston. Very knowledgeable young lady took just three of us around. Has given me some extra ideas as I occasionally make my own gin.
I might start hosting a bread and gin evening in the summer.

Elizabeth is back in hospital, in Portugal, with breathing problems. Not thought to be serious but just as precautionary measure. The in laws are looking after the little boy. No news re Roger.
Michael is quite excited at becoming a grand dad. Laura is doing ok. Ollie and her are house hunting.

So all in all life is good.

Catch up soon. Stay safe.

onen hag oll
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:59   #585
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool And on this day……………….

………………………….. 3 years ago I bought my first house. Second best thing I have ever done, the first being my marrying my Val. Still loving it here. Glad I cancelled my trip to London.

The weather is gorgeous at the moment, I have been sitting out in the garden as it’s been so sunny. Today’s temperature hit an amazing 21.5 degrees not bad for March.
Walked into town we and walked home as well. No loss of breath, no stopping either. Found the best route in and out of town with the minimum amount of hills.
Got my haircut for a fiver.

Hoping Banana is all fixed, even after our wee incident on Saturday when the fuel filter separated. Still the AA were amazing. And the garage got it fixed ok on Monday.
No news from Portugal so I’m hoping all is ok. I have left a couple of messages.

So all in all everything is ok here in the land of the pasty.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 15th April 2022, 09:48   #586
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Memories of Good Friday

I can remember being sent to the bakers, Bartons, in the High Street in Barkingside on Good Friday to buy 6 hot cross buns. Had to get there before 11am as the bakers shut then. Then home to have our elevenses, and a buttered hot cross bun. The second bun would be eaten at tea time. If Dad was on a late shift then he would take his bun to have at work. Dad was a travelling supervisor for Post Office Telephones as it was called before the days of BT.

Neither Mum or Dad were religious but they believed in what Easter stood for. So Easter Sunday would be a quiet day. That meant I had to stay in, no going out to play. That was ok as I could get on with any outstanding school work without being disturbed by my mates knocking on the door wanting me to go out to play. And on Easter Sunday we would have a treat for dinner. Roast chicken with all the trimmings and there would be ice cream for afters.

And I would do the washing up afterwards, dry the dishes and put them away. Mum and Dad drummed into me how it was important to learn various skills that would help me in later years. The only jobs I hated was gardening and cutting the grass.

So this morning I have been to the bakers down the Street and bought 4 hot cross buns. Now sitting out on the decking eating one of the buns whilst I admire my colourful garden. And on Sunday I will be having roast chicken with all the trimmings but no ice cream for afters. Because of health issues I try and avoid any dairy products. So no butter or margarine on my buns. Nor do I go for the alternative variations.

Highly unlikely I'll return to London for the foreseeable future. I have absolutely no inclination to return. I know I should as I miss going to the cemetery to visit my Val. But the memories are with me all the time. I talk to Val every day. Last weekend I asked her what horse did she fancy for the Grand National. I scanned the horse names and settled for Leopard Snowqueen, which turned out to be a grey. Val always liked to bet on the greys. That used to be our "thing" on a Saturday. Pick out some horses and Val would go to the bookies to put the bets on.

We never spent more than a fiver each on the horses. Usually it would be 50p each way bets. Naturally we would pick the races that were being televised so we could see how we got on. Then after the last race we would go to the bookies and collect our winnings, if we was lucky. Then pop into the pub on the way home to celebrate our winnings or drown our sorrows. Usually the latter. Most we ever won was when every horse that Val bet on came home in first place. And one was a rank outsider and priced at 50/1.

As for Leopard Snowqueen she was pulled up. I didn't bother to put a bet on anyway. In fact I cannot remember the last time I have been in the bookies. Never visited one whilst I have lived here in Cornwall.

No news from Portugal so I assume all is OK. I did send a Easter Card to Elizabeth. I've never heard from Roger either, last I heard he was in India. No idea why he should be there but no doubt there would be a shady business deal going on.

Banana has been a pain in the wallet. So far this year I have spent £600 on her and with more to come as she is still in the workshop. The Bear keeps me on the straight and narrow, unless you boot it in the wet. Both cars have attended a few meets this year. I done two last weekend. On Saturday we went to Crawfords Porsche coffee morning here in Saltash. Took the Bear. Over 300 cars turned up. 200 of them were Porsche's. But the Bear was well received and had her photo taken a few times.

Sunday I took Banana to the MG meet at the Beachside holiday complex in Hayle, where she left her mark all over the tarmac outside the clubhouse along with clouds of steam. Over 70 MG's attended the event and one lone Rover 75. Got lots of advice on what could be wrong with Banana. I decided to take a chance and drive her home after refilling the radiator. Drove home with no issues. But I still booked her in with the Polyne garage.

Next month the Bear's MOT is due. Once she has passed then I'll be putting her up For Sale. Had my fun, let someone else have some fun. Will I replace her? Well we'll have to see.

Happy Easter, thanks for reading. Keep safe.

onen hag oll
Old 9th May 2022, 18:30   #587
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Mind your own business Bob

So I’m out on the decking where my recycling container is, previous house owner had built box to house the three bags and one tub. When I heard someone say, “Hello, how are you today”. I naturally replied, “Fine”. But I had no idea who I was answering to, so stuck my head over the hedge to see a woman that appeared to be looking through my hedge. So I called out to say, “I’m up here, above you” only for the woman to turn round with her phone to her ear. I ducked back so she didn’t see me. But I heard her say on the phone, “ I’m blooming sure I heard someone say I’m above you”. I kept quiet till she walked off.

We have lost another neighbour to the big C. He was a retired Police Officer. Although I never knew him well it turns out he wasn’t very well liked. Still it’s a shame to lose someone.

We have a party planned in the Keep for the Queens Jubilee. Tables and chairs will be set out. No cars allowed in or out from Noon onwards, plenty of parking in the Mews. Allen & Val have been invited as well. There’s about 40 people invited, so should be fun. Food, falling down water and music. Should be fun.

Back in Barkingside I grew up with my mate Mick. We done everything together for our school days. When we left school I went to East Ham technical college to learn a trade in mechanical and technical engineering. Mick went to work at Reynolds the local Ford dealers. Throughout our working lives me always met up for a beer. We attended motor racing meets and other various functions. We was both interested in photography, model building, beer drinking, pirate radio, CB and reading.

In 1990 Mick had to go into hospital, Bart’s, right next door to where we both were employed by the Royal Mail. Mick had to have the inner bone in one ear removed and a plastic piece inserted. I told various members of staff that he was in hospital to have the slack taken out of his piles. And people believed me. It took Mick weeks to convince people that I had told a porky.

In 2017 Mick pulled up his roots in Barkingside and along with his sister Stella they moved to South Wales to be close to other family members. We have kept in touch and have met up just once in all that time. So on Sunday it came as a shock when Stella phoned me to say Mick was very ill in hospital with a very nasty ear infection. He has had one operation but needs a second, which they are hoping to do next week. I did send him a text wishing him better. He did reply.
So once he is a bit better I’ll drive up and visit him.

Banana is fixed, fingers crossed. But now the Bear is playing up. In the workshop to have the fan relay sorted out, and the handbrake adjusted, the air bag light is on yet again and then it will be MOT time.

Elizabeth is in and out of hospital in Portugal. Her breathing is very irregular. She may have to come back to this country to have a operation on her lungs. I don’t know all the details but I am keeping in touch.

Allen is fully recovered from his heart attack. He has attended the heart rehabilitation unit for 8 weeks and passed all the tests. He has now joined a local leisure centre so he can go swimming three times a week. Plus he has lost nearly 3 stone in weight. Wish I could lose some.

Thanks for reading.

Keep safe.

onen hag oll
Old 8th June 2022, 07:36   #588
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 3 years ago………………

………………………… today that I moved into my new home, which means that next week I have been in Cornwall for 4 years. Wow! How the time has flown, and look what has happened in that time. And I still love it here. No inclination to return to London, I know I should but the closest I have been is Frimley for a breakfast meet.

Well, the Bear has gone to her new home in Oldham. Hoping at some point to see her again. New owner is a Keith Taylor, so if any members living in the Oldham area keep your ears open for the V8 roar. I got the asking price. No plans to get another car as of yet.

Saturday saw me and Banana taking part in the Newquay Jubilee Parade with 10 other MG’s from the CMGOC. We had to follow the floats pulled by vintage tractors through Newquay. It was done in decades starting with the 1950’s. So that meant the MGA followed that. Then it was the 1960’s followed by a Rally MGB and a MGC. The 1970’s was another MGB GT and a MG Midget. 1980’s was a MGB. The 1990’s was a MG RV8 and a MG F. The 2000’s was a MG ZR and MG ZT, us. And the 2021’s was a lonely MG 6. Alas we had no model covering 2022.
Hundreds of people cheered us through. Bananas fan only cut in twice which was a relief.

We had a fabulous Jubilee Party in the Keep, it’s another Cul-de-sac opposite me.
3 Gazebo’s were put up in case it rained. Lots of food and falling down water. I took 6 bottles of my homemade gin over and came home with only three of them. One lady had to be helped home as she had drunk most of one bottle of the Strawberry and Mint.
The sun shone for most of the day. We started at Noon and I finally staggered home at 19.00. I must admit I was 3 parts to the wind.

I’m venturing further and further a field to events with Banana since her electrical issues were sorted. Got another meet this Saturday at Winkleigh in Devon. Then Saturday evening 11 of us are meeting up for a meal at the Sandygate Inn. I have never been there but a few others have and speak highly of it.

Allen has lost three stone through regular exercises, he has joined a gym so that he can go swimming three times a week, wish I could lose the weight. I am being monitored by a nurse but it’s hard work. Every Thursday we have a zoom meeting. We have to submit by email a food diary plus how much liquid we have drank, they mean water but some of the water I have been drinking has hops in it.

Elizabeth is still very unwell but is still in Portugal. The doctors reckon that the shock of a husband to be’s death coupled with the Covid is the reason of her illness. But at least she is the same house with her son and what would have been her future in laws.
Roger? No idea. Last heard in Italy.

Chris65 tell Pam I’m still using my quilt clips. Always think of you two when changing the quilt cover. Remembering the meals at the Millstone in Hinckley.

That’s it for now. Thanks for reading. Keep safe. Meet up at some point.

Keep safe.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th June 2022 at 07:37.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 14th July 2022, 19:48   #589
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Must hone up on my burglary skills.

My neighbour Kelsey, with her fella Dave, went off on holiday abroad somewhere hot. That left me keeping an eye on the place. Kelsey’s mum, Ros, popped in a couple of times to defrost the freezer and finish off any of the housework that needed doing.

A few days later Ros had a day out by train and bus to the Lost Gardens of Heligan. She does drive but it too far for her to go. She had a great day out with friends whom she met down there. Her return journey home was going well till she stepped off of the train at Saltash. She reached into her bag for her car keys, not in her bag nor her pockets. On the key ring was the car keys, her house keys and Kelsey’s keys.

So she got a cab home, but she could not get in as she had lost the keys. She phoned her daughter, who said that their was a spare house key in her house. But how was Ros going to get in? So she knocked on my door and explained what had happened. So my first burglary attempt was to gain access to the back garden. 6’ fence with a gate. Easy to slide the top bolt back but the second bolt was halfway down. So out come my ladder and using my extended grip I reached over the fence to try and free the lower bolt?

It was a lot easier after I toppled over the fence and landed on my feet. Ros called out, “ are you ok Bob?” I replied I was ok. And undid the second bolt. Next door to get open was the one to the conservatory. It was locked but there is a way in with a key, and we had one. It was in the garage, and that door was not locked. So Ros was in and found her spare key. She gave me a great big hug and said “Thank you” and congratulated me on my stunt work.

So I then after clearing everything away I gave Ros, once she had returned from her house, a lift to the station to collect her car. She had spare keys for Kelsey’s house as well.

So that was my good deed for the week.

A few days later I was in A&E with spider bites to my left leg. Allen took me to Liskeard hospital. The bites happened whilst I was gardening, I felt something on my leg but ignored it even after a brushing my leg, I had long trousers on. It was only when I went indoors to investigate the itch on my leg. Oh! Hum! The bites, and there was lots of them started just above my ankle and ended below my knee. My leg was like a map of Africa. Initially I just put some cream on.

But after an uncomfortable night I phoned Allen the next day and asked him to come round and have a look. Hence me ending up in A&E. Antibiotics injection, given tablets and cream and sent on my way. Had they been false widow bites I would have been admitted into hospital. Apparently these bites are quite common in Cornwall. Must be the pasty’s they eat.

So my trip to the Bluebird Memorial Meet in Lincolnshire was back on. But first I had a wedding to attend. Gary and Kelly’s wedding at the Webbington Hotel near Axbridge is a 200 hundred mile round trip. I stayed till the ceremony was over, the speeches were made and the cake was cut. There was an evening bash with a buffet but I left to go home, the leg was aching.

Banana got me to the hotel in Boston on the Friday, although the satnav couldn’t find the hotel. I drove past it three times before I spotted a small sign pointing to the entrance. Travelodge, cheap and cheerful place.
The meet was a great success despite the weather spoiling the day. Back to the hotel via the go go station to top Banana’s tank up.
I set off before 06.00 the next morning home, and went the shorter route. Home by Noon. Banana covered over 620 miles and returned just a shade under 40mpg.

I attended the Powderham Castle Classic Car Show last weekend and got very sunburnt. I didn’t notice it so much on the Saturday but oh boy on the Sunday that was a different matter. The backs of my knees had suffered the most. Loads of After Sun applied, it was so painful that I took some paracetamol.
Monday I hardly couldn’t walk. But I kept on with the cream and the painkillers. With lots of water consumed during the day.
Tuesday it was better, and I had to take Banana into the garage. Allen followed me up and gave me a lift home.

I stayed in for the rest of the day. Plenty of cream on but I cut back on the painkillers. Still, pouring lots of water down my throat. The garage phoned to say Banana was ready but I arranged to collect on on Wednesday, Allen was going out Tuesday late afternoon so it suited us both.
All en came around Wednesday morning and we collected Banana. The mechanic remarked that for her age and mileage she was solid underneath.

Feeling a lot better today. Managed to get my shopping done. And I spent an hour in the garage making up new pots for the strawberries.
I have to go into town tomorrow, but going in early. As the weather is going to get hotter over the weekend. So I won’t be going far.

Thanks for reading. Keep safe.

((There is more to report but I’ll leave that to another day)).

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 14th July 2022 at 19:51.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 16th July 2022, 20:27   #590
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Received a gift today

My neighbour Kelsey’s mum, Ros, knocked on the door today and gave a bag and she said that she hoped she had got it right. Completely caught me off guard, especially as I was not having a good day. And she was gone. In the bag was two bottles of beer, from the St.Austell brewery and a card. The words in the card brought a lump to my throat. Bless her.

In other news.
Elizabeth is being treated in Guys hospital here in London. It appears that it’s not all Covid related. I don’t know what she is being treated for but I fear it maybe the big “C”. Hopefully I have it wrong. Both her in laws and her son are also in London.
Roger and family are back in Brazil. No idea why, and not really interested.

Laura’s baby is expected on the 16th of next month. All is going ok. Laura and Ollie are living with Ollie’s mum.
My brother in law might be coming down to stay with me in September or October.

I’m looking forward to next month as I will get to see my god daughter, Kirra. Her mum, dad, brother and the dog are having a week in a log cabin in St.Mellon. That’s about 5 miles from me. It’s been a few years since I saw them last. I have a strawberry and mint gin infusing for Kirra’s mum.

My mate Mick is out of hospital after his ear infection saga. Caused by excessive sugar in his blood stream, brought on by drinking too much of the local ale. So I hope to travel up next month and meet him at a breakfast meet in Chepstow.

I’ve not had a good day today, I’m blaming the heat. Been asleep most of the day with no appetite whatsoever. Feeling a bit better this evening. Still recovering from being sunburnt last weekend. Backs of the knees are still sore.

Thanks for reading. Keep safe. I’ll catch up soon with some of you.

onen hag oll