Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th April 2022, 15:18   #61
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post

Looking at the photo you have bottomed out the hydraulic part of the splitter so it can't work. Back the T bar right off and then screw the outer thread down fully before screwing the T bar back down.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 16:44   #62
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Looking at the photo you have bottomed out the hydraulic part of the splitter so it can't work. Back the T bar right off and then screw the outer thread down fully before screwing the T bar back down.
Yes thank you for that your quiet correct but i did know lol. Aparently there is 19mm range on that sealy 1.5T ram but im not seeing it might have to measure that later....

The problem is that this sealey hydraulic ram photo'd seems to have design floor for it does not have any flats on it to enable it to be tightened up by spanner so its just hand tight, if it had flats it could be taken to a good tension with a spanner and then ram deployed, im sure it would make a difference like you say. So next move with that is to use mole grips on it with a bit of rag to tension it up before using the hydraulic ram section unless i can find strap type wrench thingy among my stash of tools.

The second problem ive got is the thread of the ball joint exposed is cut down to make the splitter fit and what is left is also threaded and keeps fracturing at the end so i need to tap it again to pop a M22 nut on but dont have the m22 die to hand that thought i had so might have a wait for that as well.. All in all im tryiing not to lose any more of its length or turn it into a rivet so might have to stop till i get a m22 die for it. Hmmmm nice weather thoooo

EDit

Think i meant a M14 for the 22mm spanner size. MY die set goes up to M12 just because lol.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 16th April 2022 at 16:55..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 19:00   #63
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I had this grief a while back even though the arm had only been on just over 12 months. I just used a forked ball joint splitter as the arm was U/S anyway , and just brayed at it until it popped out.
The garage I used about 4 years ago didn't worry about such things as pulling it. They removed it with a torch , rewelded it back together and covered the weld with NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- so it wouldn't show. A different garage changed the o/s arm last week, £280 including the arm and rear bush. Worth every penny.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 19:15   #64
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
The garage I used about 4 years ago didn't worry about such things as pulling it. They removed it with a torch , rewelded it back together and covered the weld with NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- so it wouldn't show. A different garage changed the o/s arm last week, £280 including the arm and rear bush. Worth every penny.

I remember this from earlier, pretty wild cutting the sub frame!

Im sat wondering why i torturer myself like this ide jump at £280 today if it was all in including VAT. Ive got two holes in my hand that i think will need a stitch as well from earlier. Considering this car has just confirmed a failing slave clutch cylinder given the clutch fluid oozing from the bottom of the bell housing as well it might be time to let go, but have spent loads the last year or two anther couple of years with it would be welcome till its bones start shaking again.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Old 16th April 2022, 21:34   #65
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi John.
I am presuming you have got the outer ball joint separated, also the wishbone bush unbolted, if so have you tried a hydraulic bottle jack like the one below.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/bj10...caAiaXEALw_wcB

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 22:07   #66
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Leave the nut on the inner ball joint. Undo it a couple of turns. Fit the splitter and tension it. Hit the splitter at the point it's touching the nut with a 7 lb lump hammer.--This is important because the shock will supply more force than just tightening the splitter.---( Actually will more than double the splitter force. )

Both mine just fell off like this.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 22:56   #67
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

looking at your photo , the first thing i would have done is to remove that rubber gaiter. you need steel to steel contact. second thing was to get some gloves on.....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 22:59   #68
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Leave the nut on the inner ball joint. Undo it a couple of turns. Fit the splitter and tension it. Hit the splitter at the point it's touching the nut with a 7 lb lump hammer.--This is important because the shock will supply more force than just tightening the splitter.---( Actually will more than double the splitter force. )

Both mine just fell off like this.---
agreed. but that shock will not happen due to the rubber absorbing it...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2022, 08:37   #69
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
looking at your photo , the first thing i would have done is to remove that rubber gaiter. you need steel to steel contact. second thing was to get some gloves on.....
With the set up in the photo gaiter removal will not make any difference as the splitter is jacking the tapered bolt and reacting against the subframe , With this set up the best way to cause shock is to hit the subframe adjacent to the taper
Had the splitter been the hammer in taper one i would agree with gaitor removal
I have never had to resort to using a splitter yet to release the taper

Last edited by TourerSteve; 17th April 2022 at 09:45..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2022, 11:38   #70
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi John.
I am presuming you have got the outer ball joint separated, also the wishbone bush unbolted, if so have you tried a hydraulic bottle jack like the one below.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/bj10...caAiaXEALw_wcB

Hi Arctic, the only thing that wont budge is the large ball joint into the subframe. Can lift the car with a 2 ton jack under the stub of it.

I hate to say it but Amazon just knocked on my door to deliver £60 worth of 3 and 2 arm 5 ton hydraulic separator almost identical to the legendary sykes pikavant and it was only ordered last night. Bezos must really hate easter lol

As soon as i finish coffee we will see if Nigel the 135+ ztt will rise again on Easter Sunday. Or at least when something snaps trying resurrect him it will not stick in me or strike me at all!