Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th May 2022, 17:08   #11
Chrismiller2000

MG ZT Saloon

Default Mg ZT

Good evening all (I thought this was in keeping with your current thread)

I have purchased an MG ZT this week 127k automatic, looks well looked after until previous owner potentially....
At some point it was owned by a member of the Rover 75 & MG ZT owners club as can be seen by a banner in the back of the car (top right). I was wondering if anyone knows any history? She drives well. Just needs front and rear suspension arms replacing. I don't have any service history so unsure where to start with this car other than the obvious gearbox oil change and oil and all filters, Underneath she looks well apart from minor sill damage from what I can guess at being lifted by a forklift as there are fresh witness marks. I did buy her from a scrap yard, he was tempted to scrap it but didn't in the end.
Chrismiller2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2022, 18:01   #12
DJD6619

None at the moment

Angry Unnecessary scrapage

It makes me mad, that to many good cars are landing up in scrap yards. Perhaps the forum could organise a rehoming service for 75's and ZT's.
DJD6619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2022, 18:58   #13
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJD6619 View Post
Perhaps the forum could organise a rehoming service for 75's and ZT's.
Nice idea but I suspect the vast majority being scrapped are by owners who have no interest and couldn't care less that there's an owner's club, they're old bangers to be driven into the ground as far as they're concerned.

Where would the "rehomed" 75s and ZTs go? I have seen cars offered here with no takers. Not everyone wants to take on a project and you'll find those with space to accommodate more than one 75/ZT already have more than one and in some cases several.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2022, 07:25   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

And on top of all the above we have a campaign running to persuade us all to scrap whatever internal combustion engined vehicle we have by means of guilt about the environment and ever increasing fuel prices and taxes.

In ten years' time, will a car with an engine be as rare as a cathode ray tube television is now?

Simon
Old 16th May 2022, 19:16   #15
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
In ten years' time, will a car with an engine be as rare as a cathode ray tube television is now?

Simon
i think in ten years time. you'll only see electric cars in cities and the new cars will be hydrogen/hybrid. The companies that will have ditched all their conventional machinery to produce their electric cars will need to spend millions for the tooling req to build the proper future vehicles ie hydrogen. The investors cashing in on the present electric boom will have made their billions and likely moved on to something else!! (just my thoughts )
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2022, 19:38   #16
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
It makes me mad, that to many good cars are landing up in scrap yards. Perhaps the forum could organise a rehoming service for 75's and ZT's.
I guess more like a campaign that the owners club does exist raise awareness that some people may perhaps want the car before it's off to scrap
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2022, 05:57   #17
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Given the price of used cars, there is more chance of a car that would have been scrapped being repaired and put back on the road- if there is a demand for that car...
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2022, 08:44   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

Is that not the 'Cars for Sale' section of the forum?

We need to take a realistic view of things - cars go to scrap because scrap value is the most the owner can achieve. Many are in a terrible state when they do.

With 99+% of cars there comes a time when the car in question is only viable as a donor or scrap vehicle. This is the reality.

My approach is to enjoy a car whilst I have it but recognise that one day ownership will lose viability and perhaps desire to continue owning.