Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2021, 19:00   #1
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default waist level window seal/trims

Probably asking in vain but having searched old posts etc. has anyone found a solution/replacement for the inner window trims that goes all crinkly from the clips rusting? mine have gone too far to repair, thanks ,chris.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 19:06   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

front inner waist rails come up now and then on e bay - its the rear ones that seem less common ? Other than that a visit to a scrappy may payoff.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 20:18   #3
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

I have the same problem on my tourer. The front doors are fine. I don't think it is usually rusty clips but the metal beneath the black rubber is aluminium and oxidises and then swells. The problem I found was that it forced the door card off. I cured one by filing off the oxidised part and putting it back again but we need a proper solution.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 21:28   #4
euro44
Avid contributor

I guess its not worth anyone making replacements due to such a small market and there must be tens of thousands differing patterns. Its strange that its only the drivers side rear on my tourer thats affected and that is so bad at the quarterlight region its completely broken up. Agreed its the ali strip thats worse affected but the clips in that area are very rusty. I think the water draining down the glass channel seems to overpower the outer seal allowing contact . Strangely theres no sign of rust anywhere behind the doorcard and all the electrics work fine too. Shielding means no visits to breakers for me yet, so thats a pleasure to look forward to,lol.
Old 25th February 2021, 21:57   #5
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Dmgrs had quite alot made recently and unsurprisingly they sold out very quickly, might be worth dropping them a line to see if they have plans for another run to be made.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 22:06   #6
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Rear Inner waist seals are an issue on both saloons and tourers. Fronts don't seem to suffer very often. You might get a bit more luck looking for limousine inner waist seals as these will fit as well but will need trimming down to fit but i would guess these are also getting scarce new. Breakers are likely to be your best bet.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 22:31   #7
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Rimmers have some LWB ones but they are mega expensive for what they are, not much change from £50 a side !

I did a how to when I fit LWB ones on my own car

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=240851

I once saw a post on a Rover forum from overseas but have no idea where I saw it but I do remember he had a simple and cheap solution by using something like this and when trimmed and fitted it looked quite good, the vertical side goes in the metal clips and the horizontal side across the top of the window, maybe worth a try if yours are very bad and you cant get any

The picture is just to give an idea of what he used you would have to measure up to see what size needed.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 23:48   #8
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Dmgrs had quite alot made recently and unsurprisingly they sold out very quickly, might be worth dropping them a line to see if they have plans for another run to be made.

Hopefully DMGR's will stock again. Alternatively perhaps a company could reverse engineer a batch from an original relatively undamaged part. The issue will always be getting commitment from enough buyers to make it viable.

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppi...rtmentId=68#85

The clips perhaps would also need reproducing or improving in my opinion. They don't hold the door card very well in my opinion. An alternative material choice to reduce the corrosion issue would be a welcome improvement.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 18:42   #9
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks everyone, i will try sourcing some kind of alternative and post if successful ( not likely i know ,but one lives in hope ) lol
Old 28th February 2021, 17:38   #10
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Hi

Maybe I could've saved myself the trouble if I'd searched first. I took the doorcard off expecting all I needed to do was order the trim! Found what appears to be an electrolytic type reaction. It's complete mess and I can't easily remove the spring steel clips. See first thumbnail.

I also had a problem with the centre doorcard clip, in the end as per Haynes pulled the rivets out but still can't remove the door mounted (!) spring steel part from the plastic, doorcard, part. See second thumbnail. Any suggestions?

I had ordered some plastic clips from Fleabay, see third thumbnail, what appears to be original (white), my purchase (red), another nearly right one (grey) and some tat NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.

I reckon the red ones will work although a little shorter or should I order the white ones as the supplier had those as well, I think.

While I've got the doorcard off I'll be doing a search on making the central locking mechanism work!

Thanks for your patience.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote