Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2021, 08:36   #1
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

Default End of Life Permits and used car parts

Having 'spoken' with Matt (Cable Tie) SW Region, on his advice I am making the PM I sent him open to all the Club.
Just a heads up on some new rules being brought in on ebay regarding Environmental Permitting Rules.
If you are selling used parts on any platform, it appears you now have to have a environmental disposal licence, ie a breakers licence.
Basically if you are not a licenced breaker, you are not not allowed to strip cars and sell the parts. To enforce this, the environment dept has found a back door way to enforce, by getting ebay to take down any used parts listings that do not disclose that the cars are stripped on a licenced premise.
This will affect a lot of sellers of used car parts, and could also mean that it will be harder to get hold of used parts apart from buying from a breaker. I am not sure how this will effect some of us here on the Forum, but any of the traders who are selling used parts without a licence may fall foul of the law.
Upshot is, MG Rover parts will be become even harder to get, as most breakers do not strip them but put them straight into the bailer.
As an Ebay parts seller with a business shop we had a direct message from ebay regarding this. Fortunately, having read all the rules on ebay and also the government website, we have found a legal way around this as 80% of our parts are obtained from two licenced car breakers. If you sell on ebay you can check this out yourself on the section about this on ebays rules.
I would add that as a bona fide garage, we have a duty of care when it comes to waste management etc, so we did not consider we were 'breaking any rules' but it appears the environment dept now think differently, so we are having to rethink how we obtain used parts in the future.
In our opinion, we think this is an underhand way of getting the older cars off the road and forcing drivers into electric cars. If there are no used parts to keep these older cars going, then they will all have to be scrapped.
It will be interesting to see how Ebay do actually respond to this and if they will target private individuals as well as business sellers. They will lose a lot of revenue if they remove the non compliant used parts sellers, as the used parts platform is massive on their site.
Watch this space.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:02   #2
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Very interesting, and probably quite worrying.

If this becomes reality (I only say this because of MGR's last paragraph) then the obvious next step would be the "monitoring" of sales of spares amongst smaller communities, such as this club.

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2021, 09:18   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR South Devon View Post
Quote:
Having 'spoken' with Matt (Cable Tie) SW Region, on his advice I am making the PM I sent him open to all the Club.
Just a heads up on some new rules being brought in on ebay regarding Environmental Permitting Rules.
If you are selling used parts on any platform, it appears you now have to have a environmental disposal licence, ie a breakers licence.
Basically if you are not a licenced breaker, you are not not allowed to strip cars and sell the parts. To enforce this, the environment dept has found a back door way to enforce, by getting ebay to take down any used parts listings that do not disclose that the cars are stripped on a licenced premise.
This will affect a lot of sellers of used car parts, and could also mean that it will be harder to get hold of used parts apart from buying from a breaker. I am not sure how this will effect some of us here on the Forum, but any of the traders who are selling used parts without a licence may fall foul of the law.
Upshot is, MG Rover parts will be become even harder to get, as most breakers do not strip them but put them straight into the bailer.
As an Ebay parts seller with a business shop we had a direct message from ebay regarding this. Fortunately, having read all the rules on ebay and also the government website, we have found a legal way around this as 80% of our parts are obtained from two licenced car breakers. If you sell on ebay you can check this out yourself on the section about this on ebays rules.
I would add that as a bona fide garage, we have a duty of care when it comes to waste management etc, so we did not consider we were 'breaking any rules' but it appears the environment dept now think differently, so we are having to rethink how we obtain used parts in the future.
In our opinion, we think this is an underhand way of getting the older cars off the road and forcing drivers into electric cars. If there are no used parts to keep these older cars going, then they will all have to be scrapped.
It will be interesting to see how Ebay do actually respond to this and if they will target private individuals as well as business sellers. They will lose a lot of revenue if they remove the non compliant used parts sellers, as the used parts platform is massive on their site.
Watch this space.

Hi Lynn
Why did you go to Matt (Cable tie ) first why not just make it public? if i am reading this right this means any of us that are even thinking of purchasing a donna car for ourselves for spare parts can not take those parts of the car legally.

Therefore the the wanted section on here is no good or is the section below.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/f...splay.php?f=70

What about a part that was bought from a breakers yard and then not used, is that not allowed to be passed on ? as you say another way of getting old cars of the road.

PS does that mean that your parts are therefore third party parts, you source them from a breaker then sell them on, which makes you a middle man ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 18th June 2021 at 09:28..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2021, 12:04   #4
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Ebay is transforming a lot of things - for traders both commercial and private. They now stop you selling (private) if you do not accept payment direct through them rather than paypal. That means they require your bank details. Not a chance in Hades!
Old 18th June 2021, 12:12   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Yes, heard about this a few days ago, definately going to make life more difficult for any older car owner

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2021, 12:15   #6
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

I PM Matt first as we only found out about this a week ago, and wanted some input from him before we posted on public forum. I also PM Reebes to let him know.
As far as parts sourced and bought from a breakers, you should have an invoice with their licence no on. You can resell these parts on as long as you quote the licence no of the breakers or licenced site you acquired them from. In our case, 80% of our parts were sourced from our two local breakers, and we have put their nos on our ebay business details which now makes us legal with ebay.
We can no longer keep or break cars on site for parts, although I believe we can keep cars for restoration as long as they have not had parts removed.
I am not sure what the situation is if you buy a car in for donor parts. As yet I think they are targeting business sellers, but not sure how or if they will deal with private sellers of used parts. I think they will need an army to carry out environmental checks on everybody!
I had a conversation with a garage customer in Cornwall this morning who restores 2CV's. He had a visit from environment and as a result had a final warning and had to get rid of all the cars he was breaking for donor parts. A big MG TF seller up country had this happen to them back in January and when they applied for the licence, they were made to dispose of thousands of pounds of parts they had previously taken off as they were deemed 'illegal' parts.
I believe that whole cars being kept for restoration are safe at the moment, as long as parts have not been taken from them.
This is all very new to us and we are not sure yet how it will pan out. We await with baited breath for a visit from environment.
We will keep you all posted with any information we find out.
We will endeavour to keep going, legally, if we can, so we can continue to supply MG Rover parts to keep the cars on the road. (Which of course we know Gov and Environment don't want!!!!)
I think questions need to be asked as to why this is happening, especially by everyone who runs or deals with classic cars. We all know quality used parts are vital for keeping these cars on the road. But who do we get on side. That is the big question.

Ebay are not driving this, the environmental dept are forcing ebay to take action.
Old 18th June 2021, 13:02   #7
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

So the classic car industry / community is at least 6 months into this, and it seems that only now is it becoming known about.

I don't know if it has been in any of the magazines, as I stopped buying them ages ago.

Regarding who to get on your / our side; possibly Goodwood or Beaulieu venues, might both have Lords, with a vested interest.
Also, a long shot might be to offer the new GBNews an interview, or an item for their regional reporters (Sussex & Hants., respectively)

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2021, 13:16   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Underhanded way of getting rid of older cars, ahh well, all the bits I sell will be from my own cars as ‘I’ve just replaced it for a newer part’
Old 18th June 2021, 15:30   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

So much for looking after the environment by “recycling “
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2021, 17:14   #10
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I don't suppose 'they' have realised the inglorious push for electric cars, including the end of int-comb-eng, instead of Hydrogen, is about to fizzle out?