Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2022, 11:03   #1
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Default 75 vs ZT ride/comfort difference

Help, here's a "how long is a piece of string?" type question.

How does the ride/comfort level differ between a 75 and a ZT?

I've had a number of 75s (two v6, two diesel and a v8 for reference). Now thinking of a ZT to extend the experience. I appreciate there's a variety of subjective terms applicable: wafty and sporty come to mind. However, what I'm interested in is the degree of comfort. I had a Contemporary v6 which was firm yet comfortable, a diesel which was comfortable yet leaden and my v8 can feel a bit hard on occasion.

I don't want to wallow neither do I want to feel every stone on the road. Any experiential assistance welcomed.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 11:06   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I have 75 Tourer and used to use a ZT-T from time to time. 75 = comfort ZT = hard ride with bumps!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 11:22   #3
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

I have had two ZT's both facelift. the first was standard specification and had softer springs that the ZT pre-facelift which was apparently critised for a harsh ride. My second and current is a SE model which was 'uprated' with harder sports springs, so same springs as the original. Its the one thing I dont like about the car as its uncomfortable on anything other than a well surfaced motorway, and we dont have many of them! I dont think the big 18" wheels help either.

If I was buying again I would have a Rover 75 or a ZT facelift, but with the 'standard' springs, smaller wheels - and also avoid any car with a sunroof which has been an absolute pain from day one.
Old 26th February 2022, 12:31   #4
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Had both in various specifications and both good at what they are meant for. Still have a V8 and when back on the road will enjoy it for what it is. Now pressing in on my sixties I would rather have a 75 on crowns as a daily.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 12:43   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

My first ZT was a 260 which I've owned from new. Great and effortless motorway car, but definitely a harsh ride on bad road surfaces. Less compliance equals better road holding I guess. If your local roads are full of potholes, don't buy a V8 and expect comfort. My sunroof began to leak like a sieve after about five years. All water leaks fixed by myself with the tremendous help from this forum, especially Arctic's sunroof drain articles.
The ZTT 190 SE I bought from Rick has grown on me. A softer ride than the V8, still decent performance, and all the bells and whistles including added bling. The estate has come in useful more than I expected, with a very useful load space in the back with the rear seats down. No leaks as yet. 145k on the odometer. A little more exhaust noise and especially a resonance at 1800 revs. Much reduced after removing the S/S sport exhaust (sorry Rick...anyone want one for a ZTT ?) I have a DMGRS back box to fit when I find time to try to reduce the exhaust noise further. Despite this, the ZTT is now my daily driver. Fuel consumption though is pretty much the same as the V8.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 16:10   #6
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

No experience of a ZT, but experience of having 18 inch wheels on the 75.
Don't, put 15 or 16 inch on and wallow
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 16:16   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

4 x 75s and 2 x ZTs here. All the 75s are comfortable, although the Contemporary's seats are the least. My V6 ZT is comfortable and handles superbly (2003), but my ZT diesel (also 2003) is the harshest ride although the alcantara seats are well suited to the suspension set up.

You pays your money and takes your choice - I enjoy all of them, but road conditions and length of journey do dictate which I use when.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 16:29   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Eibach pro lowered springs with 18" wheels, best of both for me 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 21:27   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Same for me, ZT suspension and 18" rims on my 75, nice and firm with comfort of the 75 seats.
Old 26th February 2022, 21:56   #10
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybel View Post
I have had two ZT's both facelift. the first was standard specification and had softer springs that the ZT pre-facelift which was apparently critised for a harsh ride. My second and current is a SE model which was 'uprated' with harder sports springs, so same springs as the original. Its the one thing I dont like about the car as its uncomfortable on anything other than a well surfaced motorway, and we dont have many of them! I dont think the big 18" wheels help either.

If I was buying again I would have a Rover 75 or a ZT facelift, but with the 'standard' springs, smaller wheels - and also avoid any car with a sunroof which has been an absolute pain from day one.
I've had a pre-facelift prior to my facelift ZT SE and I do prefer the slightly softer ride of the Mk2. That was the only thing that I didn't like about the early Mk1 was that it was quite a harsh ride on anything but the smoothest of road, the Mk2 is just about right I think.

Not having driven or ridden in a 75 I can't compare the two though.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote