Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2022, 12:49   #21
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
We read these statistics daily and whilst we truly feel for so many people in difficulty we have to ask the questions, why is this happening, who is responsible, who is affected, how is it being addressed, how is this going to be resolved. The policy makers are clueless, the politicians lie and confuse the public, the lack of accountability in public life is criminal etc etc. The public need to decide once and for all, are they going to accept the status quo or are they going to be more demanding from those elected. In my opinion Britain is now in terminal decline, and will continue down this path, whilst the rich ruling class enjoy life, unless the public wake up from the deep sleep, unfortunately this is not going to happen.
Sorry but this post is just a rant. You only have to follow the news to see the causes of our current problems. Inflation is being driven by supply chain issues from China (fewer goods therefore more expensive). A post Covid surge in economies increasing demand for gas and oil that could not be met - more demand than supply - prices rise. He situation only made worse by the ghastly Russians being unneighbourly to the Ukrainians with little prospect that things will improve anytime soon. Finally you have Russia and Ukraine being amongst the World’s largest exporters of grain that has now stopped - less supplies higher prices for that remaining. It gets worse when you also see Russia is a major exporter of fertilizer so farm yields for grain producers outside Russia and the Ukraine will fall - which will lead (you guessed it!) to higher prices. We could well be in for a pretty crumby time over the next few years but always remember the Ukrainians will be having it far worse and (hopefully!) so will be the Russians.

The good news is the Chinese who inflicted Covid on the rest of the World with their poor laboratory controls are the still suffering with huge lockdowns - first in last out - their is some natural justice in this World!

The Americans can smile as they have become gas and oil self sufficient by ignore all the Green nonsense that has stymied Europe (and I include the UK!). They are also entirely self sufficient in food production as well!
Old 12th May 2022, 13:45   #22
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Your last paragraph.Flawed? I lived through the last war. The thrifty fifties. The raving 60s. The mundane 70s and so forth.Started work 1955 as an apprentice .Apart from two instances of long absence from work because of illness, 2 and a half years in all, I have managed to keep my head above water, so not to bad. Throughout my life, I have noticed that some people work, and others chose to be unemployed. Those that have decided on the later, seem to have not fared to badly. They seem to achieve TVs, cars , latest mobile phones, computers for the children, holidays abroad, and two I knew of managed caravans to tow around the country with their children. The state now provides almost everything these people want. Now as a pensioner, they are as well off, and in some instances, better off than I am after working almost all my life, and many hours of overtime when I could.Those are the people who are now holding back this country from doing better.Another thing is that it seems to me that over the last thirty years or so, everything my generation, and before, achieved in negotiation at work for better conditions and wages, has been renaged on.I am afraid that until the ‘working classes’ get their act together, things will only get worse. A saying my grandmother used, was:- The working class will always be working class because the will not stick together. Over a lifetime that saying has proved to be very true.
I'm in general agreement. A united front is required but it has to be on sensible issues. The remark by Harold Wilson that "one man's pay rise, is another man's price rise" is, in reality true. We no longer have a vehicle manufacturing base of any note now thanks to many reasons, one of which was constant united fronts under Red Robbo.

Do you remember food banks in the 50's? I personally don't. The very needy in those days might have had to ask for recourse from the Church or the Salvation Army as there were less avenues for help. My experience of one saw that people would move heaven and earth to rebuff help in which they would see as charity.

Perceptions always change but now we have different forces arrayed against the likes of independent people or sections of society. It's become big money and many organizations have sprung up to "service" the needs of anyone with a gripe. You're not the only one that feels bitter that getting up at 04:30 hrs and doing 12 hours for months on end to ensure I personally would not fall into debt only to see the needy having better lifestyles. It has meant no TV, computer, smart phone and many other consumable goods to ensure this. My parents would spin in their graves if I got my priorities wrong.

I personally don't think any type of government will ever be able to "level up" as every human is different and has different aspirations.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 12th May 2022 at 13:50.. Reason: spelling/grammer
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 14:51   #23
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The problem with the English, is that they do not know how to complain. A lot of them think you have to act like a gorilla, and go round thumping their chest or anyone else’s chest, or other regions. The shenanigans that take place in so called government (Parliament) every day, between all sides, but mostly two, is a symptom of the problem.
Old 12th May 2022, 16:16   #24
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
As Queen Victoria said ‘Let them eat cake. 🥶🤥🥴

Not her old fruit, different monarch another century - unless you mean a Victoria Sponge?
Old 13th May 2022, 12:18   #25
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]As Queen Victoria said ‘Let them eat cake. ������

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Not her old fruit, different monarch another century - unless you mean a Victoria Sponge?[/QUOTE
]

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

I doubt you would even be able to live on cake now it's too expensive, only people like ( Marie Antoinette ) and maybe the lords, and MP's apparently the working class cannot cook.

Time to get this moved to the social forum, MODS

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 13:33   #26
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Yes "baught cake" is expensive, my wife makes fruit cake regularly and she says its much cheaper and its certainly popular with our family-its a fact that many people choose to buy factory made foods and they cost more for obvious reasons. Laziness is the prime one and that may be they havent the skill or havent bothered to develop the skill. Its work not magic The evidence is there in the growth of the "takeaway" industry. And yes there were no "food banks" in previous years and people had far less disposable income, but we managed, went without took two/three jobs etc etc. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 13:37   #27
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
............ And yes there were no "food banks" in previous years and people had far less disposable income, but we managed, went without took two/three jobs etc etc. Chris.S.

Chris, I think you could be one of us Indians in disguise!

I've just bought a huge cauliflower from the local co-op for 99p. It's cauliflower bhaji and Naans from Asda for me and the Mrs for the next 3 days.

Last edited by MSS; 13th May 2022 at 13:40..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 16:50   #28
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Last night's Secret Spenders again illustrated what folks spend on takeaways. £100s every month. Shameful, not only for their bank accounts but also their health.

Popped to the local tip today. In the landfill skip were two nice looking 15 pane wooden doors complete with glass, brass handles and locks. Easily worth £20 maybe £30 on well known selling sites.

We are so wasteful as a society.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 16:56   #29
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
The problem with the English, is that they do not know how to complain. A lot of them think you have to act like a gorilla, and go round thumping their chest or anyone else’s chest, or other regions. The shenanigans that take place in so called government (Parliament) every day, between all sides, but mostly two, is a symptom of the problem.

As a nation though we certainly know how to moan. We used to be known as a nation of shopkeepers. More like a nation of moaners now.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 18:51   #30
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's fascinating to me how social habits and mores dictate behaviour. Today I queued in the chippie for my evening 'tea', a Friday favourite (Celia can't eat anything cooked in the same oil that fish is cooked in for fear of DEATH).

Outside were no less than five delivery guys waiting with their huge insulated bags. The one in front of me collected four orders for delivery. I should think the last call was, well, coolish.

It struck me that possibly the bone idle customers had all modernised their kitchens with hugely expensive appliances. Therein lies the problem. Too much money spent on keeping up with whoever. I don't suppose the plush leather couch had anything to do with it?