Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th June 2008, 20:33   #31
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

We should put people on the inside who have access to all the governments money, then make it disappear to some far off place...

...my bank account
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 21:16   #32
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by black olive View Post
We are hitting £1.15 a litre for Petrol and £1.31 for diesel in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1.20 a litre. That’s over £5 a gallon!!

Now the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

Sorry but I think it's a stupid idea. (And yes this email has been doing the rounds for over 3 years to my knowledge). Why is fuel more expensive here than in say, Spain? Tax. Remember when diesel was so much cheaper than petrol? Tax has changed that. If you want cheaper fuel, campaign against the current tax regimes (and without getting political, we have to pay tax somewhere - or everywhere - if income tax is not allowed to rise). Many filling stations provide a service in rural areas - and provide convenience goods like milk and newspapers. They employ people. Hurting Esso, BP or Shell in this way would hardly dent their profits (because petrol retailing is not where they make their money) but would hurt local communities. Whilst oil costs have risen, the Govnt's take on VAT has risen too - and that's separate from the fuel tax. I think I heard someone say on the radio that if the oil companies gave us the fuel for free - we'd still be paying around 75p a litre in tax. Rant over.
Robert
(PS I think fuel tax is a fairer system than car tax - and I don't drive a V8! Trouible is we have to pay both!)
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 21:20   #33
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

It's a bit out-of-date. But you'll get the idea...

Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote