Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2008, 07:27   #1
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Default fuel boycott

Ive received this email this morning- I thought I would post the contents on here to reach a wider audience than forwarding it on via email.

I havent researched the facts- it may be that BP and Esso supply the supermarkets etc. so dont shoot the messenger- also , mods if you feel the post is inappropriate for the forum then feel free to delete

We are hitting £1.15 a litre for Petrol and £1.31 for diesel in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1.20 a litre. That’s over £5 a gallon!!

As a result, everything else is costing more, too.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea, which makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign last year. It was more of an inconvenience to us than a problem for them. BUT, this idea can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send i t to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.. ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

Old 12th June 2008, 07:58   #2
wicksy_64
Avid contributor

Rover 75 connie se

This has done the rounds before. Im afraid people are to apathetic to do things like this .
Even after the last fuel demo where the country ground to a halt fuel prices didnt come down. This country is to small to worry the oil companies.
wicksy_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 08:06   #3
monkeyhanger
Regular poster

rover 75 1.8 classic

i agree that something must be done and be done soon - all of the oil companies are making millions of pounds (dollars) every year and it's us the drivers who are paying.

i have no worries about putting any named company into debt, ok along the line some individuals will suffer- but if things keep on going as they are- those individuals would suffer anyway as more and more motorists stop making the occassional 'day trip' just because the oil companies and the government are taking us all for a ride.....
i have copied the e-mail and sent it to my address book

i fly off to tunisia at the weekend where petrol costs much much less (although wages are minute in comparison) but we are told this is a global problem!!!!!!
monkeyhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 08:28   #4
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

I'm afraid only options are:

earn more money
move closer to work
buy a less greedy car

You aint seen nothing yet...
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 09:25   #5
Per Ardua
Loves to post

ZT-T 190+

Location: Sipping fine port in a drawing room in Sleaford, Lincs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
I'm afraid only options are:

earn more money
move closer to work
buy a less greedy car

You aint seen nothing yet...
you missed "Storm Parliament".

(but we'll pay for the damages, we'll, put them on 'expenses')
Per Ardua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 10:00   #6
Sancho
Loves to post

Mercedes 220SE Coupe, Mitsubishi Delica, Nissan Micra

Or take public transport to work.

Put in the context of their turnover, oil companies actually make very little profit. OPEC are sticking prices up and the government is taxing heavily to get money to fire missiles at camels so there's very little that can be done by boycotting any petrol stations.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 20:25   #7
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Not sure whether this is serious.

The local council where I work is trying to force us to use public transport to work.

They offered to tell me how easy it was to get from home to work and back, using public transport, if I told them what time I start and finish.

So they worked out, if I leave home by taxi, half an hour before I currently do, I can arrive at work an hour and a half late, rather than twenty minutes early like now. So they agreed I had to use my car to get to work.

I can and should use public transport to get home according to them, even though it would take around three hours instead of the current one.

Of course the next morning, having left my car at work, the whole thing falls over somewhat.

They even had the cheek to ring up and ask if the advice was helpful, and if I was using the suggested transport.

And don't try to tell me I'm a one off, I know the large majority of the people I work with are in the same boat.

Unfortunately we don't all live and work in cities with good transport links. Our policy makers, who do spend much of their working lives in one, seem to forget this.

Last edited by Departed; 12th June 2008 at 20:36..
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 21:04   #8
tourerfogey
Banned

And where do you think Sainsbury's, Tescos, Asda, Morrisons etc get their fuel from? Yep, Esso and BP !!

Also, if no-one bought from Esso and BP the other suppliers would not be able to meet demand and would have to source extra supplies from elsewhere...and who do you think would be sitting on a petrol mountain because they hadn't sold any?

So the overall effect will be pretty much zero.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 21:06   #9
tourerfogey
Banned

So they worked out, if I leave home by taxi, half an hour before I currently do, I can arrive at work an hour and a half late, rather than twenty minutes early like now. So they agreed I had to use my car to get to work.

So why does it take a Taxi 2hrs and 20mins longer to travel from your house to work than you do in your own car ?
Old 12th June 2008, 21:07   #10
tourerfogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post

Put in the context of their turnover, oil companies actually make very little profit. OPEC are sticking prices up and the government is taxing heavily to get money to fire missiles at camels so there's very little that can be done by boycotting any petrol stations.
I understand they've got the right hump about that, poor camels.