Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2024, 11:59   #1
womble12
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Tourer Rear Shocks

Hi all,

Just had a new set of tyres fitted a week or two ago and whilst the rear wheels were off I noticed that the big cup washer at the top of one of the rear shocks looked a bit odd.

It looks like the internal hole in the washer has worn/corroded into an oval and now is loose and hanging off. For reference, I checked the other side and found that one is missing the washer entirely (presumably rusted away and fallen off).

(Click for larger image) - N/S

(Click for larger image) - O/S

Looks like the washer is still available from Rimmers - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RPY100100 , so no big issue there.

However on inspection I did also note that the yellow foam damper thing (technical term) was pretty loose on the shock strut on the N/S - is that normal?
The other side was a pretty tight fit.

Both rear shocks were changed last year by Tom Force.

Thanks in advance!

Click below for video:
womble12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 23:22   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble12 View Post
Hi all,

Just had a new set of tyres fitted a week or two ago and whilst the rear wheels were off I noticed that the big cup washer at the top of one of the rear shocks looked a bit odd.

It looks like the internal hole in the washer has worn/corroded into an oval and now is loose and hanging off. For reference, I checked the other side and found that one is missing the washer entirely (presumably rusted away and fallen off).

(Click for larger image) - N/S

(Click for larger image) - O/S

Looks like the washer is still available from Rimmers - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RPY100100 , so no big issue there.

However on inspection I did also note that the yellow foam damper thing (technical term) was pretty loose on the shock strut on the N/S - is that normal?
The other side was a pretty tight fit.

Quote:
Both rear shocks were changed last year by Tom Force.

Thanks in advance!

Click below for video:
Hi Chris.
Those could not have been new shocks surely, i would contact fitter and ask, looks to me poor used items that have failed.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:30   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

It looks like the foam bump stop and dust shield had been contaminated by the old shock leaking oil onto it.

They should always be changed when they have been contaminated, as it causes them to be loose and slide down the damper rod.

They're failsafe washers, not fitting them or replacing them is a very dangerous practice, you're relying on the bond of the metal tube insert within the rubber top mount to hopefully not give way.

If it were to do so it could cause a serious accident.

It doesn't look like the other washer was fitted at all, I can't see that it would have rotted away completely

A couple of new washers and a pair of new bump stops and hopefully that will sort it out properly.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 22nd January 2024 at 17:09..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2024, 15:33   #4
womble12
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Chris.
Those could not have been new shocks surely, i would contact fitter and ask, looks to me poor used items that have failed.
I bought the shocks new from DMGRS but were supplied simply as per the image on the advert. No replacement foam part or metal washer came with them. I was planning to replace them myself, but then my ZT-T went into Tom Force for some other work and I asked him to whack them on while it was there to save me the job.

I guess the fact that I technically supplied the parts means that he did what was asked - fit the parts supplied. Maybe he would have changed the other bits if I'd bought through him - who knows.

Russ, thanks for your input too. I guess I'll get two washers and a foam bump stop on order!
Old 25th January 2024, 12:00   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

The washers and bump stops are available on rimmer bros if you cannot find them. Washers are £6.00 each on there ... not too bad for those ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 20:40   #6
womble12
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
The washers and bump stops are available on rimmer bros if you cannot find them. Washers are £6.00 each on there ... not too bad for those ...

Thanks - I had seen them on Rimmers but managed to order the washers and the foam air springs through DMGRS for a slightly lower price than Rimmers. And hopefully a free Maoam with them too...