Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2017, 09:26   #1
xamtex
Regular poster

rover 75cdti/MGZT260

Default td4 starting issue

yesterday my 75 developed a fault it took ages cranking to start then fired up,i drove it back running perfectly(towing a trailer) and when i let it idle i noticed a rattle from the engine mostly on tickover. later it needed easistart to get it running then ran fine.(still rattling).then it would not start even with easistart. i had a similar issue with my freelander a while back and after spending a fortune it was the high pressure regulator seal....so last night i removed the regulator and the seal appears to be ok. then it started but still rattling.there is no black smoke when its running.
im assuming the start issue and the rattle are connected?as they both occured at the same time...im about to do a basic leakback test on the injectors...is there anything im not thinking of?
xamtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 09:38   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

If you've got a really bad injector with leakback that would account for it being difficult to start and starting with easistart The rattle that you describe could well be result of one or more of the injectors not firing properly.

If you search leakback test on here there's a how-to on carrying out a leakback test.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 09:42   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamtex View Post
yesterday my 75 developed a fault it took ages cranking to start then fired up,i drove it back running perfectly(towing a trailer) and when i let it idle i noticed a rattle from the engine mostly on tickover. later it needed easistart to get it running then ran fine.(still rattling).then it would not start even with easistart. i had a similar issue with my freelander a while back and after spending a fortune it was the high pressure regulator seal....so last night i removed the regulator and the seal appears to be ok. then it started but still rattling.there is no black smoke when its running.
im assuming the start issue and the rattle are connected?as they both occured at the same time...im about to do a basic leakback test on the injectors...is there anything im not thinking of?
What fuel pressure are you getting with the ignition switched on to position 2, anything less than 1.2 Bar and the ECM will not allow the engine to start.
Normal is anything over 3.2 Bar. If the underbonnet fuel pump is not efficient enough or just hovering around this pressure then it will give intermittent starting. Hook up T4 or other diagnostics system to determine pressure. Alternatively measure the voltage at the fuel filter housing plug wires with a multi meter. 3.9V or so should be present.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 12:50   #4
xamtex
Regular poster

rover 75cdti/MGZT260

well,rattle is the crank pulley....today its starting ok,dont know why.
low pressure is 350 kpahigh is 20k at tickover goin g to 65k at redline.
is it coincidence both faults came at the same time?did i disturb something when i took the reg off?
Old 25th August 2017, 16:46   #5
xamtex
Regular poster

rover 75cdti/MGZT260

i still wonder why i bought another td4 after the trouble i had with my freelander.
origional pulley failed,needed my mate the mobile tyrefitter with his inch drive gun to undo the bolt...ebay pulley lasted 12 months...bought one from rimmers(britpart)lasted 7 whole days....then got the oem pulley which lasted till i scrapped it.
got oem pulley coming from rimmers tomorrow,i hope this is not a sign of things to come!!!
mind you i managed to undo the bolt with a big hammer and chisel and my h/d air impact gun