Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th July 2016, 19:31   #21
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Wow !! I completely forgot all about the old BSA bikes and the Tomahawk..
Cheers buddy :-)
Old 9th July 2016, 19:37   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I learned to ride on a tomahawk Lol. that year I got a blue Raleigh boxer and my sister got a Raleigh budgie.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 19:39   #23
neilb740

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I learned to ride on a tomahawk Lol..
they were great for pulling wheelies
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 19:39   #24
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Was the Raleigh boxer the smaller version of the Grifter.
Old 9th July 2016, 19:43   #25
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
My first proper bike was a BSA Javelin. The one in the picture isn't mine but it was identical.
I was taken to the local bike shop to try it for size in September, my mum and dad had been paying for it in instalments.

5 minutes sitting on it then it was whisked away back into the store room until Christmas. Longest 4 months of my life wobbling around on my old second hand Raleigh Tomahawk (remember them!!)

I had it for years until some scumbag nicked it from outside a chippy.

YES! I too had forgotten about BSAs. That Javelin looks very familiar to me, must have had a mate that owned one back in the day
I've actually got a complete Raleigh Tomahawk which I bought a few years ago to restore. I bought it because it was my first ever "bicycle', although it have stabilisers fitted for a while until I learnt how to balance.
I'll have to get around to restoring it, thing is, I don't what to do with it once I've done it as I may be a little too big and heavy to ride it

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 19:46   #26
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
I think it was. I had a Grifter after the Tomahawk, pale metallic blue with Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gears IIRC

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 19:47   #27
johnnyb44

Rover 75

The stabiliser would come in handy though coming home from the pub :-)
Old 9th July 2016, 19:47   #28
neilb740

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
YES! I too had forgotten about BSAs. That Javelin looks very familiar to me, must have had a mate that owned one back in the day
I've actually got a complete Raleigh Tomahawk which I bought a few years ago to restore. I bought it because it was my first ever "bicycle', although it have stabilisers fitted for a while until I learnt how to balance.
I'll have to get around to restoring it, thing is, I don't what to do with it once I've done it as I may be a little too big and heavy to ride it
The Javelin only came in Red or Yellow.

Red ones were 5 speed, Yellow ones were 10 speed.

I remember something about it being law at the time that bikes had to have mud guards, so they used to put those totally pointless tiny ones on to comply with the law. But you still got a muddy stripe up your back whenever it rained
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 20:54   #29
johnnyb44

Rover 75

I used to bike every Sunday morning on my new Peugeot bike to visit my dad who lived about 4 miles from me. I was only about 14 at the time and my parents had just separated. Every Sunday I would go to his bedsit to see him and he would get up to open the door stinking of stale beer from the night before and suffering from a severe hang over and to many fags. He was having a hard time dealing with it all and turned to the drink to get away from all his problems. Every week I tried to steer him away from the pub and encouraged him to spend his weekend with some quality time with me. One weekend I managed to get him to come out on his bike with me. He had a cheap and nasty racer that was a Woolworths home brand and was in pretty dire condition. I thought it was a good idea at the time and choose a route that would take us out of town and up into the Welsh mountains where there were no pubs ..Nice clear air and the country side would him do wonders I thought. After about 3 miles of solid climbing he collapsed on the side of the road coughing and gasping for air. All the months of heavy drinking and smoking had finally caught up with him. He sat there there for the best part of 15 minutes trying to compose himself and told me we will have to turn back home. My dad has always had a lot of pride and he wasn't to impressed that his son was now outpacing him, so when he turned back to go down this 3 mile long steep hill he had to prove he could beat me. As a youngster I was always up for a race and the pair of us went hell for leather down this road. I was in top gear and could not physically pedal and faster. I tucked down behind the handle bars and let gravity take me down this hill as fast as I could. I was well in front of my old man and doing in excess of 40/50 mph. The bike was starting to get very twitchy on the steering but I held my" bottle" and carried on. As we got into town i started to slow my bike up for obvious reasons. My dad though had different ideas. He was determined he was not going to lose this race and flew past me like a bat out of hell. I will never forget the sight. His bike was a death trap. The wheels were buckled , the brakes were shot , and the whole thing was as rusty as a 5 year old Chinese motorbike. As he flew past me doing god knows what speed, his bike was literally shaking apart in front of me. Within a few moments he was gone in the distance and I could not see him any more. When I eventually caught up I was greeted by a giant hole in a hedge to which he was laying the other side in someone's garden. His bike was a right off. The front wheel resembled the crescent of the moon and the forks where pushed back into the frame. After picking himself up and dusting himself down have a guess where we went. ......
You guessed right. ....The pub.
Old 10th July 2016, 21:22   #30
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Yes, it was. Mine was a metallic blue version. My friend had the older yellow one.

I have seen a few Grifters being converted to BMXs in the past, although they weighed a ton!

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote