Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd October 2019, 12:13   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Speeding Fine on Dutch trip

I have been issued a speeding fine of £45 Euro from the French for 3.7 mph over the speed limit. I can't believe this! Everyone was overtaking me!
clocked at 96 kmh in a 90 kmh. I've only ever had one speeding fine before this and that was in Sheffield 20 years ago 37 mph in a 30 mph!
To say that I'm annoyed is an understatement - 3.7 mph over is ridiculous! I won't ever be travelling to France ever again!
: devil:

Last edited by robbrooks; 2nd October 2019 at 12:24..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:25   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

You are a very naughty boy! Roll on Brexit!
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:26   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Are you sure that it's genuine Rob and not a scam? I'd be inclined to ignore it and see what happens. After a holiday in Italy some years ago I was in a similar situation. I didn't respond and absolutely nothing happened.

Simon
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:42   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I'd be tempted to ignore it too, what can they do in reality?

Brian

P.S. that reminds me I must change my digital speedo back to MPH
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:45   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

is this from the journey to boxtel or the return journey home?

whenever i was leading any convoy on the way there, and when I was leading all of the cars on the way home I ensured I was sticking to all speed limits, most of the journey i was about 5km below the limit and on the 130km stretches I was only going up to around 115km max.

And like yourself, I found a lot of cars overtaking at most times at quite a lot faster speed than what I was doing, especially in France.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:45   #6
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I traveled Europe as a driver for many years before retiring, many EU countries share data with each other including the DVLA.

In the UK as a rule of thumb we are allowed 10% + 3 mph depending on the police force area.

In many EU countries there are no such allowances, if you are caught you pay up and that's that, if you contest it you may have to go to France to attend court or risk being caught if you return.

I used to overnight in a small Belgian town called Meldert, the owner of local company I delivered to was once caught by a speed gun at just 2 KM over the posted limit of 20 kmh, close to a school and during school hours.

The French are one of the countries that will actively chase you, non payment could mean that if you go to France again your passport would be flagged by customs, as you know they know who you are now.

The price will go up for non payment so personally I would pay it ... and yes I have had to pay quite a few in the past.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:41   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I had the same thing last year in France, I got clobbered twice within a few miles for similar small amounts.

I was told the problem with not paying is that if you do visit France in the same car as you enter the country you will stopped and not only have to pay the fine but any fine they feel fit for the late payment. Non payment will mean they will impound your car.

As much as it grieved me I felt rather that ruin my next holiday I thought it wiser to pay. I will be more careful the next time I am in France.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 16:52   #8
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
is this from the journey to boxtel or the return journey home?

whenever i was leading any convoy on the way there, and when I was leading all of the cars on the way home I ensured I was sticking to all speed limits, most of the journey i was about 5km below the limit and on the 130km stretches I was only going up to around 115km max.

And like yourself, I found a lot of cars overtaking at most times at quite a lot faster speed than what I was doing, especially in France.
Was on the return not far from Calais as it was timed at 1349 - we arrived about 2 hours before the departure of the shuttle. All looks genuine, so its not a scam. I have until 25 November to pay the reduced fine. It goes up to 180 Euro if I don't pay on time. But this is after the 25th December.. Nice of them to make it Christmas day eh! There must be quite a few people getting fines in France as I'm no speed merchant - never have been. What with the breakdown and now this I feel luck wasn't on my side!

Last edited by robbrooks; 2nd October 2019 at 16:56..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 17:10   #9
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I’ve posted the link below, perhaps reading through it will give you the information you need, a good friend of mine sent it over to me as he has had issues like this in the past apparently it’s a cross-border directive, he was going to refuse to pay the fine, however at a later stage he received a more threatening letter saying the fine would increase and increase

https://etsc.eu/faq-eu-cross-border-...ent-directive/

I hope this helps
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 17:21   #10
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

You could look upon it as cheaper than the UK? Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote