Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th February 2008, 12:03   #1
Fraz

MG ZT 1.8

Default MG ZT 1.8 - Head Gasket/Coolant Level

HI,

Im new to this site, so any information would be greatly received! I have a '53 ZT 1.8 Turbo, and unfortunately the head gasket recently failed. I have received it back from the Rover Garage I took it to, and there are a couple of niggling issues;

1) I'm obviously concerned about it over heating again, so when I checked the coolant level in the reservoir, I couldnt see any! Am I supposed to be able to?

2) Whilst they had the engine in bits, i asked that they change the cam belt/timing belt. Now, when I start it up the starter motor appears to have stuck once or twice, and for the first 30 seconds the engine puthers away (sounds like a slight misfire) as if its hunting around for a good idling spead. Then its as right as rain! They also changed the HT leads, and I was wondering if any of this is linked, or if its ANOTHER problem!

I am quite prepared to go back to the garage, however, I dont want to come down too hard on these people if the things arent related.

I would be grateful of any advice, many thanks.
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:10   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

To the Best 75 and ZT Owners Club around.
There is Plenty to Read, see and do on Here.

Someone more into Petrol Cars will be along shortly to advise.
But the water levels area Critical thing more so on the 1.8 Model.
There is a Level Mark Normally on the Reservoir, check it is filled to the Max.

Something does not sound right about the rest though.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:13   #3
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Ditto with John on the coolant. Presumably there were none of the other problems rearing their heads before you put the car in for repair? Sounds like you do need to get them to sort some things out if not.

Welcome to the club BTW.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:23   #4
Fraz

MG ZT 1.8

Default MG ZT 1.8 - Head Gasket/Coolant Level

Thanks for the help chaps, cracking response time!

No, no problems before, just wondered if I could argue the fact that I didnt have these symptoms before, therefore I shouldn't have them now? Not being technically minded when it comes to cars, I didnt want them fobbing me off saying that things aren't related.

What a great site btw!
Old 14th February 2008, 19:55   #5
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Default Head Gasket/ Coolant Level.

Hi there and welcome. I would ask the garage if they have used the new MLS gasket this is an improved one which should help prevent HGF happening again. on to the second issue the misfire sounds like the garage have not assembled the engine back 100%, might be the HT leads, get the garage to check everything again as i am not sure. ps looked after the 1.8k series is normally reliable and the 75/ZTs build quality is good.
Graham1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 20:55   #6
Yanbanshee
Regular poster

R75 V8

Default Head problems

Dont panic, most garages are ignorant over the K series. You probably had an undetected water leak which led to overheating (a comon K series risk) The engine has a very sophistocated cooling system with small acpacity and unusually located thermostat in the feed circuit. It relies on good maintenance and understanding.
Your original problem was most probably just a heater hose leak. Now due to poor workmanship or diagnosis (it seems) you have additional running problems which are due to timing or other set up errors and your original problem remains. Get them to look again and politely but firmly ask if they fully understand this engine or just the erroneous myths that surround it
Good luck
Old 15th February 2008, 13:54   #7
PYTHON2674
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Tourer , Rover 100 114i

Default Hgf

Hi there,

I have a Freelander 1.8 ES (Only till tomorrow then pick up my new Rover 75 Con SE)

Anyway....About two months ago I noticed the coolant level in the expansion tank was empty!!!

So I topped up and all seem well, Until I picked it up from the garage after having the cam belts changed, MOT and 70K service carried out

The main thing on the 1.8 K Series is to check the water pump especially when changing cam belt as you normally do all aux belts at the same time. The pump needs to be leak free (with no signs) also you need to check the bearing housing for alignment..

Failing that a hose or as I had a very small tear in the HG next to a stretch bolt. No damage and only 2 thou out on the head check

Best bet is to get the garage to double check everything again at least then you are covered by their warranty for the work carried out.

Other than that the K series if looked after is not too bad in a smaller car... not a freelander too under powered...

Best of luck with the outcome..

Carl
PYTHON2674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 15:46   #8
Fraz

MG ZT 1.8

Thanks everyone for all your info/advice. I have it booked in at the garage to have it sorted hopefully! Will post the outcome.