Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2008, 18:02   #1
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Default Electric Seat Wiring Help

Hi,

I know there are bits of info scattered around on this but I could do with some more detailed help if anybody could oblige?

I am fitting electric seats and there is no socket as I'd hoped so need to wire back from the glove box.

Someone mentioned there was a 12v switched and 12v permanent available from the fuse box under the glove compartment. Can anyone give me an idea how I go about finding this and how to wire a cable up to it? Do I need to unbolt the fuse box itself?

The other thing is the seats themselves. Unfortunatley I ended up with mermory seats so need to bypass that on the drivers side so I can just get the motors working through the switches and obviously wire up the passenger side as well.

I have managed to test the motors directly with a live and earth from the cigar lighter but have not yet managed to test it through the switch. Does anybody have a wiring diagram which might help work out what is going on.

The passenger side (which is the easy one) has two thick wires, one black one orange which I took to be live and neutral, and two smaller wires which I guess are switch links. As I dont have the socket already attached I can't work out how these link up when using just a live and neutral.

The drivers side is much more complicated, with more motors and more wires, if anybody has a quick work around to just get the seat control working it would help.

Does'nt help that my tester is 40 miles away at work and I'm not in until Tuesday! I am basically a bit out of my depth with this so any tips would be really appreciated.

Remember I need to sort this with just a live and earth, chock blocks, solder and crimps.

I will post photos of the plugs if that helps?

Edit: I should explain I am talking about the black rectangle connections. I am aware the blue and yellow ones are airbag\seatbelt and a seperate thing.

Last edited by efreeti; 7th February 2008 at 18:14..
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 20:43   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreeti View Post
Edit: I should explain I am talking about the black rectangle connections. I am aware the blue and yellow ones are airbag\seatbelt and a seperate thing.
So coming out of the carpet, have you got a big black rectangular connector???
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 21:15   #3
efreeti
Gets stuck in

No, as I said there is no socket so need to put new wiring in back to the glove box.

Basically I could do with someone to tell me where to wire to in the fuse box area to get a 12v and then how to wire up to the black conections on the bottom of the seats. I imagine I will need to cut the black rectangular plugs off the seats and do some chock blocking \ crimping. I tried earlier today on the passenger side presuming that the orange and black thick wires were live and neutral. Gave them live and neutral but nothing happened which makes me think the smaller wires must be switch wires and are maybe also need some power to them (or maybe bridging?) but I have no reference point to work it out from at there is no socket pre-installed in the car.

I have had the motor running by giving it live and neutral direct to the motor contacts themselves so I know they are not faulty but obviously I need to get it working with the switches.

Just not really sure what to wire to what. A few people on here have said it is really simple and you just need to give the seats live and neutral but after a couple of hours messing around I still havn't worked it out.

So please feel free to state the bloomin obvious
Old 7th February 2008, 21:17   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

I think, I may have a spare loom in the shed, if not probably the connectors.

BUT I won't be able to get to it until Saturday........I suppose it depends how desperate you are to get them installed.......
Old 7th February 2008, 21:31   #5
efreeti
Gets stuck in

Sounds like a plan, I could just put the manuals back in for a few days. If you have one for both sides I would be more than happy to send some cash your way!

Where does the seat loom connect though? Does it need to go back to the glove box or will there be a spur connection somewhere of the main front to back loom?
Old 8th February 2008, 03:34   #6
Greeners

MG-ZTT

From taking out the SatNav(s), the drivers side loom runs down the sill, then up and round the back of the dash into the fuse box. The passenger side runs down the sill into the fuse box.

Let me see what I've got as I started putting bits together for heated seats which shares the same loom. I may even have a diagram or two.....
Old 8th February 2008, 06:07   #7
keith52
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

I'm afraid you won't be able to use the memory seat switch if you intend bypassing the ecu,so you have to get hold of a non memory switch Still available for approx £40 .
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 08:33   #8
efreeti
Gets stuck in

Keith, did you ger yours working or go with the new switch?
Old 8th February 2008, 18:55   #9
keith52
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

I was lucky to get a brand new switch off ebay for less than half the price of a new one, the connection to the switch is the same as the memory switch with the exception of live and earth which can be fitted .pin numbers 2 + 9 ( i'll have to check that to be sure )

I've tried to get the memory switch to work but with no luck, i even bought a new memory switch so i could takethe original switch apart to see how it worked
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 10:55   #10
efreeti
Gets stuck in

So Keith, can you confirm then that the only way to get these working is to bypass the under seat ECU which requires me to get hold of a standard switch?

It would also match up with advice Raykay has given me on PM.

I don't suppose you ever got round to writing up a How To did you? This is becoming much more difficult than I imagined.

I hoped I would just be able to re-wire the switch directly to the motors.

If anybody has manual front leather seats or even just basic electric and fancies the upgrade to memory, please do PM me and we can do a straight swap! In the meantime I will start looking for a switch. Off to the for sale section now...