Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2021, 09:26   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Toaf Android

Think this will generate interest:

Despite yesterday being the 1st of April, a post by an alert Norwegian owner on their local FB group got my interest: Toaf Android Mobile. I heard rumours of an Android app some 2 years back and a quick check of the Polish site confirmed the existence. More here: https://www.facebook.com/TOAFPolska/

Now I’ve got an Xtrons headunit and a wireless OBD that gives me Torque Pro but I’m a bit confused as Marcin Misek the guru, says it only works on the regular Toaf cable with the FTDI chip (at the moment) - so the question is how do I connect the Xtrons?

I do have a USB mini socket on the front, I guess there are adapters but wireless is preferred. And please don’t say remove the unit as it took me ages to get it flush

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:28   #2
LZ0
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI Auto 2003, Rover 75 CDTI Facelift, Rover 416Si K-series 1995

Probably you should connect your regular TOAF cable through a "USB type-C OTG adapter" to your mobile phone? But this is just a guess.
LZ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:23   #3
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ0 View Post
Probably you should connect your regular TOAF cable through a "USB type-C OTG adapter" to your mobile phone? But this is just a guess.
Thanks but not interested in connecting to my mobile phone (which is an iPhone) but rather my Xtrons Android car unit. I've got the programme in my google account ready for download, but it's the physical connection or ideally wireless that confuses me. At the moment I don't even know if the usb socket on the front of the Android is a mini or micro kind - someone with the same unit might know and can perhaps suggest a suitable adapter.

But thanks for the information about OTG adapters as I've never heard of them.

Regards
Old 2nd April 2021, 17:13   #4
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

If the Android application is not created to support Bluetooth kind of connection then you can forget wireless. As I see for now it does not.

This means you need to connect Android unit by cable. However Androind unit need to support OTG functionality. OTG= On The Go. What that means: it means Android unit can read data from that port, for example if you connect USB stick to that port Android device will read all data from it as it is microSD card in the Android device, or as it is its internal memory.

USB stick can be connected if USB stick has mini, micro or C-type connector OR you need to buy adapter which from one side has male mini, micro or C-type connector and from the other side it has female A-type connector (to accept regular A-type USB devices). This cable is called OTG adapter, but depends which type of connector you have on the other side: mini, micro or C-type.

If you make hi resolution close-up shot of the connector we might be able to recognise the type.

However I need to warn you that in this case you are connecting cable over adapter to the Android device. This might not work properly, and Android device might not like cable over adapter. I do not have way to tell if this is going to be or not, but I am speaking from experience. If this happens Android device might need cable without adapter which means FDTI chip on OBD port side but mini, micro or C-type connector on the other side.

There is also possibility that Android device will not speak at all with FTDI cable and in that case that is because how Android system handles that port.

Unfortunatly Android world is different from Microsoft or Linux and especialy from iOS world.

I do not have intention to scare you, just wanted to present all options you might encounter in this try.

I do not have experience with Xtron devices so cannot be of much help on that field.

I also noticed this thread: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=272846

Last edited by Roverlike; 2nd April 2021 at 17:57..
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 18:10   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the reply, I've found a eBay unit similar to mine here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTORADIO...wAAOSwOL9alX14 and you can see the usb socket on the left hand lower side. Perhaps you, or someone else, can identify if it's a mini or micro socket.

As I stated in the opening post Misek says the FTDI cable is the only one it will work with at present. The phrase "at present" sounds encouraging. So I think my best bet will be to try some kind of USB adapter but also have a look through a box of "extra" connectors I've got up in the garage attic from Xtrons & my earlier Win unit, I might even have one for the Xtrons

Thanks for the link.
Old 2nd April 2021, 18:42   #6
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

The one you are referring to looks to be a Mini B socket. If you look at the ebay model and scroll to the rear view image it looks to have a Female Usb Type A end which I think would be more suitable to the obd adapter Usb Male end. Whether it would work I cannot say. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:03   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
The one you are referring to looks to be a Mini B socket. If you look at the ebay model and scroll to the rear view image it looks to have a Female Usb Type A end which I think would be more suitable to the obd adapter Usb Male end. Whether it would work I cannot say. Hope this helps.
I've had another look at the rear of the linked unit, but can't see a USB socket although the No.5 arrow is identified as one (?) OK a possible Mini B socket, thanks.

I daresay I have no option other than remove the Xtrons and have a look, something I really don't look forward to, but on the other hand the cable can then live there until I next want to use it (if it works)

Regards
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:52   #8
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Thanks for the reply, I've found a eBay unit similar to mine here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTORADIO...wAAOSwOL9alX14 and you can see the usb socket on the left hand lower side. Perhaps you, or someone else, can identify if it's a mini or micro socket.
On the link shown on the front side (left bottom corner) you have USB mini-b (5 pin) type of connector.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:46   #9
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
I've had another look at the rear of the linked unit, but can't see a USB socket although the No.5 arrow is identified as one (?)

Regards
No.5 is identified as the usb cable. The unit end of the cable doesn't look to be a usb connector (pink connector end) therefore there would not be a usb port at the rear of unit. Scroll further down to the accessories image.
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:57   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the reply, even the the linked Xtrons is similar to mine it's not exactly the same so I'll probably have to remove it and check. I've also got to climb into the garage attic and see what leads I've got as I know I didn't use all the supplied leads.

Regards