Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2020, 13:46   #1
c-j2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T Diesel

Default Non-MG - Recommendations for stop/start EFB battery

Hi folks,
Caution - non-MG content - hope ok...Always been grateful for the good advice here so hope that someone can help...

My non MG annoyingly has stop start (which myself and the previous owner disable each trip) - and therefore an Enhanced Floating Battery (EFB). Despite this, at 6 years old the battery is showing signs of failing. £100-£150 to replace!

Maybe 6 years is considered decent these days - however my previous standard batteries in MGs etc have lasted 10-16 years! Bosch and Varta.

Any recommended makes that perform well in EFB guise? Having usually bought from Tayna, this time I'm considering a Halfords one mainly due to the 5year warranty, and hopefully easy of return - and partly as I think they are/were actually made by Yuasa? (Is that latter bit correct?)

Anyone with experience/understanding of these EFB batteries, advice much appreciated on which should have the best life.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by c-j2; 13th June 2020 at 13:49.. Reason: More info
c-j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 07:49   #2
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I believe you're right about Halfrauds batteries being made by Yuasa.

People will have plenty of opinion which battery is best, but I've had good experience with Yuasa.

Strangely my quickest failing battery was a Bosch. I do think some of their products now are suffering from poor quality and unfortunately like most other companies are being produced in eastern countries with substandard techniques.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 08:45   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

First time I encountered Stop/Start was in a hire car on holiday in Italy.

When it's 30 degrees, you're in a traffic jam and the car suddenly just stops running it's a bit awkward and causes more than a little panic! It gets worse 'cus the air con goes off . Don't like it at all as I tend to keep cars for many years and can't get the wear and tear on starter motors/batteries etc. out of my mind.

I've had nothing but good service/price from Tayna having been put on to them from folks on here.

I'm guessing they don't have an option for the 5 year warranty as you're asking the question. Maybe give them a call?

Bosch & Varta seem to be reliable choices. Had lots of Yuasa on bikes and they were decent until replaced with a Odyssey which was awesome but pricey.

Good luck with the search.

Andy.

PS. Saw this a few days ago - might be a help?

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=305247

Last edited by AndyN01; 14th June 2020 at 08:56..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 09:10   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

One of the things putting me off many modern cars is the stop start technology.

When test driving a new Mini earlier in the year, I asked the salesman if this could be turned into defaulting to the off mode, and turned on when desired rather than having to switch it off every time the ignition is cycled.........no was the answer, and why would you want that in any case?

Of course I know this can be deleted with third party tools, however I suspect this would invalidate a manufacturer warranty in double quick time, so it became a deal breaker.

It might help the OP to state the model of the non MGR car, it's not a lynch mob if you own a non MGR product

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 10:50   #5
cossie dunc
I really should get out more.......

rover 75 contemporary se cdti + rover 75 connie cdti work horse

Like Brian, this is one of the things that has stopped me buying mrs cd a “modern car” , much to her disappointment I must add

Don’t get me started on electronic handbrakes

When I’m replacing customers stop start batteries I have used Yussa with good results. Have a look online for a company called nappa they also offer a 5 year warranty and are a little less pricey

Scotland's rover 75/mg zt service,repair & enthusiast centre

Used parts.....servicing.......mechanical repairs.......modifications

Call Duncan 07415 251 705
cossie dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 13:23   #6
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Stop / Start, not for me.

You seem to be very fortunate compared to us here in OZ.

A local member mentioned that one of those large European SUV/4WD with stop / start “enhancement” requires a battery that in local currency cost AUD $800.00.

And to rub salt into the wound, where is that largish battery positioned? If you said under the drivers seat, you would be correct. With all the electronics, removal of said seat from the vehicle then reinstallation the owner was in for a shock. I heard that with dealership labour costs the bill was well in excess of AUD $1,000.00.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 18:23   #7
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
You seem to be very fortunate compared to us here in OZ.

A local member mentioned that one of those large European SUV/4WD with stop / start “enhancement” requires a battery that in local currency cost AUD $800.00.

And to rub salt into the wound, where is that largish battery positioned? If you said under the drivers seat, you would be correct. With all the electronics, removal of said seat from the vehicle then reinstallation the owner was in for a shock. I heard that with dealership labour costs the bill was well in excess of AUD $1,000.00.

Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 20:59   #8
c-j2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T Diesel

Cheers all - really appreciate the suggestions so far, especially re others using Yuasa. Not heard of Napa - but now found their website and will take a look.

Re warranty, there are some with Tayna at 4 years, and probably a 5 year option if I search enough. However it is more a case of presumably non of them will be dead simple to action if needed - however Halfords will probably be easier to return to, or at least get them to load test. Returning others by post will be a pain. Fingers crossed the next battery lasts what I consider to be decent number of years and no returning will be required! Strategy now is to buy something decent and hope never to need to purchase again. For a laugh I looked at the base ECP price - approx £450 - even with a discount that is £200!

The car in question is late Mk4 Mondeo with a whopping 1.6 diesel. To be fair it does all the family stuff fine. Bought from a family member selling their company car - and at the time my MG was at 222k mls, but had a couple of issues - and the Mondeo was cheaper than a divorce.

I put stop/start in the category of 'solving a problem that doesn't exist'. In the Mondeo I don't just get 'stop/start', I also get 'smart changing' thrown in for free! It may charge at 14.8 v or 14.4 or 13.something, or not at all!!! In other vehicles I've used a cigarette lighter cheapie plug-in to monitor voltage whilst driving and check that the alternator charging voltage is constant - in the Mondeo I can look at the same plug-in - and because it fluctuates anyway, it doesn't help me!

To make things slightly more complicated, some sources suggest that the vehicle 'might' need to be 'told it has received a new battery'. Other sources suggest not required. Anyone know? At least with Halfords I could swap in their carpark, and pop back in with an embarrassed expression if I can't swap a battery on my own (madness). I've had the old one out today - removal is a bit of a faff until the contortionist technique for removing the air-box was mastered. Only required 4 different tools too.

Rant over. Electrickery is not my strong point. Please keep the suggestions going, much appreciated.

Last edited by c-j2; 15th June 2020 at 08:20.. Reason: Correct typos / clarity
c-j2 is offline   Reply With Quote