Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th April 2021, 16:08   #1
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Default crankshaft pulley question

can a bad crankshaft pulley cause the gear lever to get stuck in certain gears and/or unable to put it in the gear from time to time?

My cdt is making a noise from the pulleys side, i'm 90% sure it's the crankshaft pulley which is a shame because it was changed 2.5y ago with not even 52.000 km on it (it was a continental one)

Gonna do the water spray test soon to confirm however the more I drive the car, the worse the noise gets (it started from 5 days ago very slowly)

If it's not the crankshaft pulley, what else could it be? Dual mass flywheel? (clutch was replaced 45.000 km ago with a borg&beck clutch kit)
roverbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 16:42   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nope, crank pulley won’t effect gears.

Have a look at the linkage on the gearbox, see if either cable has become detached.
Old 7th April 2021, 18:21   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Is the difficulty getting it into gear only with the engine running?

If it is, you'll need to be looking at the clutch and/or hydraulics (master & slave/CSC).

The dual mass flywheel can make a noise when failing & it will affect the clutch in terms of drive but I've never had a flywheel affect actual gear selection.

A good suggestion by Trikey too about linkage but as you're saying that it only happens from time to time, it may not be this.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 18:30   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbeast75 View Post
If it's not the crankshaft pulley, what else could it be? Dual mass flywheel? (clutch was replaced 45.000 km ago with a borg&beck clutch kit)

A failing water pump can make the same sound as a rattling crank pulley. If you whip the serpentine belt off you will feel play in the water pump pulley if it is shot.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 18:32   #5
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Is the difficulty getting it into gear only with the engine running?

If it is, you'll need to be looking at the clutch and/or hydraulics (master & slave/CSC).

The dual mass flywheel can make a noise when failing & it will affect the clutch in terms of drive but I've never had a flywheel affect actual gear selection.

A good suggestion by Trikey too about linkage but as you're saying that it only happens from time to time, it may not be this.
yes only when the engine is running

but the slave , cover & plate were replaced, would it already need replacing this fast? the master cylinder however i have never replaced

so basically I developed 2 problems at the same time eh? fantastic , will try to figure it out, thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by roverbeast75; 7th April 2021 at 18:43..
Old 7th April 2021, 20:08   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If the crank pully is breaking up water on it will make no difference to the noise it makes.

The gear problem you have seems to be not enough fluid in the master cylinder.--My gear changes were getting to be like yours.--I pumped some fluid into the system from the bleed nipple end.--The problem vanished.---
You'll need a plastic syringe, a length of clear plastic pipe and a couple of spanners---( Oh, and a bit of ingenuity. )---An inch and a half of brake fluid in the pipe to squirt in through the nipple.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 07:52   #7
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Nope, crank pulley won’t effect gears.

Have a look at the linkage on the gearbox, see if either cable has become detached.
I can confirm it is the crankshaft pulley

& it was indeed a gear linkage cable.

The cable is a bit loose but by already fiddling with it the car shifts ok again

Thanks for the help
Old 8th April 2021, 09:12   #8
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbeast75 View Post
I can confirm it is the crankshaft pulley

& it was indeed a gear linkage cable.

The cable is a bit loose but by already fiddling with it the car shifts ok again

Thanks for the help

Good result.

For the water test with the pulley it needs to be squirted up from underneath the car aiming at the rubber bonding between the two pulleys, temporarily lubricating the, what is now, disintegrating bonding, it isn't as pronounced a change in noise as when doing the water test a drive belt but it does work.
Old 8th April 2021, 18:47   #9
350zwelgje
Avid contributor

75 KV6 2.5 3x Rover 75 CDT

The gearshift cables are clipped in a bracket close to, but difficult to access, where they attach to the gearbox. Perhaps one of these cables is not fully home.

Myself use corteco pulleys, but think continental sounds as a good brand as well and should have lasted a long time.

Regards from Bornem
Rob
Old 20th April 2021, 21:37   #10
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Good result.

For the water test with the pulley it needs to be squirted up from underneath the car aiming at the rubber bonding between the two pulleys, temporarily lubricating the, what is now, disintegrating bonding, it isn't as pronounced a change in noise as when doing the water test a drive belt but it does work.
I have read the forums that the Corteco pulley is the way to go, however I notice that DMGRS also sells
a BGA pulley.

Does anyone here have any experience with the BGA one, how are they holding up?