Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2021, 02:27   #1
paul odwyer

Rover75

Default rover 75 2005 diesel auto washer bottle removal

G'Day Guys , Before I attempt the removal of washer bottle I was hoping to get the inside story from those of you whom have done this job. Ive got no constant flow of water out of jets despite pump running. I get a short 1 second burst of water followed by pump operation noise but no water from jets . There appears to be NO leaks from the few hoses I can see. Water level in bottle is staying full so I presume there are NO leaks. No puddles forming on garage floor either. Ive tried a pin in the jets. The fault feels like the pump effeciency is gone. Like its spinning its wheels getting no where. So Im going to pull the bottle out in the hope that the pump will be located in there somewhere and go from there . But i would appreciate the heads up on any problems I may encounter or comments about the fault I describe. Rover 75 diesel auto connoisseur 2005. PAUL
paul odwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:16   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Probably just the filter needs cleaning. Driver's side wheel off, behind wheel arch liner, filter is near the bottom next to the pump. Remove and clean.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:37   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Or a blocked T piece where the two washer jets join under the bonnet.
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:46   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Possibly a build up of gunk in the bottom of the tank. Remove the filter as above to drain the tank then flush the tank several times with hand hot water with a mild bleach solution. Rinse with copious amounts of clean water, refit the filter (after cleaning it) and refill.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:51   #5
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

This is also a job for me this weekend!

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:44   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Removing the bumper 15 minutes makes cleaning and inspecting the washer bottle easy, as above most likely the little black filter in the bottom of the bottle is clogged up with slime.

Once you have the bottle exposed you can remove the pump.

Do this by pulling it upwards, expect quite a lot of water flow.

2a

Then remove the little black filter, and wash it under the hot tap in the sink.

Washing it will clean out the perforated holes of the filter.

Wash the bottle out as above with diluted bleach water, swill it out at least 4 times after cleaning, then then refit the filter and pump, top up the bottle that is the bottle sorted out.

It could be the T piece where the two washer jets join under the bonnet cover.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd April 2021 at 13:51..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:43   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Had exactly the same symptoms on my car

I've done it a couple of times on my MK 1 just by taking off the couple of screws from the plastic shield in front of the drivers front wheel and folding it back ( with the wheel still on but it would give more space with it off obviously). I didn't have to lift out or remove the whole bottle, it stayed in place when I did it.

The pump can be lifted out of the washer bottle and the filter cleaned out, bacterial growth forms into a sort of jellied gloop which blocks the filter. While the pump and little rubber filter are out run a hose or just a couple of jugs full of clean water into the water bottle top to flush out the gloop lying in the bottom of the reservoir which just flushes out of the hole left by the removed pump onto the ground, otherwise you will find the pump blocked up again in no time even the next day.

( I stupidly just cleaned out the filter without flushing the reservoir the first twice I did it until I realised that it was pointless without flushing out the rest of the gloop that must have been lying on the bottom of the tank because the rest of it just blocked up the filter again in no time) The filter hasn't blocked again for about 18 months since doing this.

This is what I did to sort my problem out successfully but I don't want to contradict anything the experts have laid out here as they know a lot more than me about these things.

I'm a complete strapper and won't attempt anything even remotely complicated in case of disaster but found this operation fairly easy if not a little fiddly. If the pump requires replacing then obviously it is just as easy to do as the old pump is already out and a new one just needs to be popped back in its place.

Last edited by bendrick; 2nd April 2021 at 10:56..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:49   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Had exactly the same symptoms on my car

I've done it a couple of times on my MK 1 just by taking off the couple of screws from the plastic shield in front of the drivers front wheel and folding it back ( with the wheel still on but it would give more space with it off obviously). I didn't have to lift out or remove the whole bottle, it stayed in place when I did it.

The pump can be lifted out of the washer bottle and the filter cleaned out, bacterial growth forms into a sort of jellied gloop which blocks the filter. While the pump and little rubber filter are out run a hose or just a couple of jugs full of clean water into the water bottle top to flush out the gloop lying in the bottom of the reservoir which just flushes out of the hole left by the removed pump onto the ground, otherwise you will find the pump blocked up again in no time even the next day.

( I stupidly just cleaned out the filter without flushing the reservoir the first twice I did it until I realised that it was pointless without flushing out the rest of the gloop that must have been lying on the bottom of the tank because the rest of it just blocked up the filter again in no time) The filter hasn't blocked again for about 18 months since doing this.

Quote:
This is what I did to sort my problem out successfully but I don't want to contradict anything the experts have laid out here as they know a lot more than me about these things.

I'm a complete strapper and won't attempt anything even remotely complicated in case of disaster but found this operation fairly easy if not a little fiddly. If the pump requires replacing then obviously it is just as easy to do as the old pump is already out and a new one just needs to be popped back in its place.
Hi Kevin.
No experts on a job like this, just a bit of common sense needed, you can do it as you say by removing the brake caliper cooler quadrant tray and the a couple of screws/bolts from the wheel arch liner and peel if back a little to gain access that way.

Sometimes you may have to check the headlight washer pump as well, so bumper off is best. Here you can see a blank i fitted while i sorted out then hose on the bumper.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd April 2021 at 14:23..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 00:47   #9
paul odwyer

Rover75

Default Rover 75 diesel auto washer bottle issue

G'Day Guys , Thanks very much for your replys to my post . I really appreciate your assistance . Its great to have such knowledgeable people on tap like this . This car was a private import into west aust . Previous owner must have loved it to bring it to Australia. My wife found this car whilst looking for a Jag and fell in love with it. Low K's , all options, excelent condition , she treats it better than she treats me ...ha ha . So we want to keep it in top condition with a view to keeping it for a long time. Over here in Aussie its a rare car and people regulary comment about it . Mainly because they have never seen one ,secondly because its a good looking car aand third due to its like new condition. So Im forever indebted to this club and its members . Thanks to all members . Paul
paul odwyer is offline   Reply With Quote