Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th June 2019, 03:54   #11
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

When did you move from BC Glen? Do you know John Stevenson from St. John's. He's another 75 owner.
There are lots of options for testing here now but they all have their pros and cons. When I imported my first MGF in from the UK in 2011 I had the test done at a tire shop, and guess what? They failed the tires and sold me a DOT marked set. The second MGF came from Japan and I took it to the shop I mentioned above which is mainly a lube and tune shop. They were recommended by a rather shady friend who brought several cars over from Japan and the car passed with no issues. I'm hoping I am as lucky with this one!
The ZT was previously registered in the Yukon so hopefully they won't be as thorough as in international import. My pal has two 75's that need testing so he will be watching with interest.
Old 20th June 2019, 08:16   #12
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
That sounds like a great solution!
Where can I get TOAF? (sounds kinda shady!)
Here: http://toaf.roverki.eu/index.php/en/

Not shady, but a godsend to folks outside UK where there are few T4s and even fewer people that know how to use them.

As there was a lot of hostility here a lot of the early pioneers headed over to MG/Rover Org. If you search their stickies, there are pages of useful information about installing and using Toaf.

Once you've got it up and running then there is the option of choosing when you want the automatic headlights to activate, eg. when engine is running, or at ignition on.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 15:03   #13
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
When did you move from BC Glen? Do you know John Stevenson from St. John's. He's another 75 owner.
There are lots of options for testing here now but they all have their pros and cons. When I imported my first MGF in from the UK in 2011 I had the test done at a tire shop, and guess what? They failed the tires and sold me a DOT marked set. The second MGF came from Japan and I took it to the shop I mentioned above which is mainly a lube and tune shop. They were recommended by a rather shady friend who brought several cars over from Japan and the car passed with no issues. I'm hoping I am as lucky with this one!
The ZT was previously registered in the Yukon so hopefully they won't be as thorough as in international import. My pal has two 75's that need testing so he will be watching with interest.
Hi Rich,

We moved here to NS in the summer of 2016. Big mistake - should have continued the extra 5000 kms. No, I don't know John Stevenson, but I am from Nfld (not St. John's). I did know someone there had a 75, though. How did your ZT get through the Federal inspection in the Yukon without DRLs? They've been the law for many years. Maybe that guy did a relay thing to get through. If it has already been registered in Canada, then you just need a BC safety inspection, right? Good to have friends with small shops. I had a friend from the old Yugoslavia whose family had a shop downtown. They did a lot of high end vehicle work. It was common to see a Ferrari or Rolls Royce in there.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 00:23   #14
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Glenn,
That's right, just the provincial safety then I should be good to go.
John is a good guy to know if you have a modern MG or Rover in Canada.
He has a big collection of MGs, Rovers and other British cars and is very knowledgeable and helpful. He also quite close to you (Canada wise that is!)
You may want to check out the Canadian Modern MG Rover Car Club site. You can find John there. They are mostly a internet club and are a good group of guys.
https://cmmgrcc.com
Old 3rd July 2019, 03:43   #15
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Vitesse, Slovcan Sewerman and Jon...It's good news from me!
I downloaded TOAF and picked up a BMW lead, which didn't quite work. (It communicated but I got error messages)
Then I sprung another 15 bucks for a VAG lead off Amazon and soldered pins 7 and 8 as directed, and, Success!
It took a bit of faffing about but I was able to enable 30% DRLs without losing my sidelights as warned. Note: with the DRLs at 100% power there were no front sidelights but with 30% power the sidelights came on. It turned out that I was only able to change one thing at a time but in the end they worked.
I was also able to clear a pesky airbag code that may have caught the tester's attention.
I'm not messing with TOAF any more until the test is done but I do want to clear the service reminders next.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 3rd July 2019 at 03:45..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:44   #16
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

For some reason my "thanks" is not working so I'll do it the old fashioned way and say thanks for your post, not just the happy outcome but the fact that you got back to the forum with the solution.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote