Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2019, 07:47   #1
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Default The future of classic cars?

Without wanting to get into an heated discussion over air pollution etc etc.

I just wonder if there will be a place for classic cars in the future. Will we be allowed to start their engines, let alone actually drive them, and that's if you can get hold of any fuel that they will run on.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 20th September 2019 at 07:50..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 08:09   #2
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

I suspect electric conversions will be the way forward
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 08:35   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordblue75 View Post
I suspect electric conversions will be the way forward

They do an off the shelf EV "V8 crate motor" now!.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 10:17   #4
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Default Electrical sensors will be the issue

I think availability of electrical sensors will be the issue. Older classic cars did not have so many sensors - 90's cars have them everywhere - MAF, MAP, crank, ABS, idle stepper motor, etc.

I have a 90's FIAT and cannot get rear ABS sensors anywhere. Bosch stopped making them and that is that. Commonality with Alfa's of the period has not helped find one.

As the base is larger it maybe better for MG Rover as at least some of these parts are shared with BMW's.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 10:19   #5
RoyalBlue75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, classics got an exemption from the London ULEZ, but not such good news for 'future classics' though .....
RoyalBlue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 10:29   #6
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

It was reported earlier this year that the CEO of Highways England has said that we will not be driving our classic cars in 30 years. It was said he has no authority so how can he say this, but he is in the know and is part of the consultations for future transport planning. He said fuel availability and pollution control will make them unusable and suggested that the EVs now on the road will be the classics of the future.

Electric power conversions will possibly be an alternative for some of the more exotic and valuable models, but the average run of the mill classics that do not have a great value will not be financially viable to convert. The 70s and 80s classics now worth £3000/£5000 that are kept on the road by enthusiasts on a budget, which is most, will never have the conversions done so most will end up scrapped or rusting away in a garage.

Sadly its the future I see for my Triumph Dolomite as the values will eventually fall as the deadline gets closer making it less likely. At least if I'm still around I will be in my late 90s so driving may be a past pleasure. Enjoy them whilst we can.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 11:59   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
I think availability of electrical sensors will be the issue. Older classic cars did not have so many sensors - 90's cars have them everywhere - MAF, MAP, crank, ABS, idle stepper motor, etc.

I have a 90's FIAT and cannot get rear ABS sensors anywhere. Bosch stopped making them and that is that. Commonality with Alfa's of the period has not helped find one.

As the base is larger it maybe better for MG Rover as at least some of these parts are shared with BMW's.
There is always the option of converting it to something else, á la Cuba? LINK and another LINK. Necessity being the mother of invention, it will come down to how much the need is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
It was reported earlier this year that the CEO of Highways England has said that we will not be driving our classic cars in 30 years. It was said he has no authority so how can he say this, but he is in the know and is part of the consultations for future transport planning. He said fuel availability and pollution control will make them unusable and suggested that the EVs now on the road will be the classics of the future.

Electric power conversions will possibly be an alternative for some of the more exotic and valuable models, but the average run of the mill classics that do not have a great value will not be financially viable to convert. The 70s and 80s classics now worth £3000/£5000 that are kept on the road by enthusiasts on a budget, which is most, will never have the conversions done so most will end up scrapped or rusting away in a garage.

Sadly its the future I see for my Triumph Dolomite as the values will eventually fall as the deadline gets closer making it less likely. At least if I'm still around I will be in my late 90s so driving may be a past pleasure. Enjoy them whilst we can.
HERE

I think that some still will be converted. The current (pun intended) principles would still apply. Scrap your current (not intended lol) car and buy a new electric car, and lose the conversion cost in depreciation, or buy a second hand one with someone else's problems (and possibly a failing battery too).

I have read that a target for phasing out fossil fuel sales in some countries
has been as early as 2050, which considering the ban on sales of new ICE cars is 2030 (earlier in some places!) is not that unrealistic really. That seems such a long time away, but when you consider the Mazda MX5 was released 30 years ago, it doesnt seem that long.

As with everything, there will be workarounds, and prices will become more affordable (not necessarily affordable lol, but more affordable). Especially as there will be an increase in scrapped electric cars around.

I personally, would love an electric car, not for the environment or running costs, but simply for the instant torque and smoothness.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 12:26   #8
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have driven a BMW I3, and was left gobsmacked.

I too think the average classics days are numbered.

Best buy a Prius now before they start to rocket in value lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 12:57   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have driven a BMW I3, and was left gobsmacked.

I too think the average classics days are numbered.

Best buy a Prius now before they start to rocket in value lol
In 20 or 30 years we will see classic electric cars. Honda Insight and if you could get find a GM EV1, I reckon will be the first of the 'modern' era of electric cars. I do think though that compatibility will be more of an issue - think along the lines of floppy disc drives, or aging computer software formats and drivers.

Battery powered cars will be taxed I reckon based on how they are constructed - (trying to avoid an environmental discussion lol) - in what gases they produce whilst charging or if they fail, involved in accidents etc. A bit like today with the misinformation of the past of how diesel was best etc. (but lets not go there)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 20th September 2019 at 13:03..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 13:26   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
In 20 or 30 years we will see classic electric cars. Honda Insight and if you could get find a GM EV1, I reckon will be the first of the 'modern' era of electric cars. I do think though that compatibility will be more of an issue - think along the lines of floppy disc drives, or aging computer software formats and drivers.

Battery powered cars will be taxed I reckon based on how they are constructed - (trying to avoid an environmental discussion lol) - in what gases they produce whilst charging or if they fail, involved in accidents etc. A bit like today with the misinformation of the past of how diesel was best etc. (but lets not go there)
No please let’s NOT go there

Like all things technology only leaps forward when there is a need. Old adage now but remember the first cell phones? Size of a brick with batteries that came in a suitcase.

In a decade I expect there to have been a couple of technological leaps and the electric vehicles we will have by 2029 will be vast improvements over what we have now
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote