Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2019, 14:37   #31
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Bosal is a major muffler manufacturer (not saying it is equal, better or worse than Klarius), so why not just put it on since you have it. If it was meant for your car then the inlet size should match your pipe.

Cheers,
Glenn
Well, I bought the Klarius and I can't get it to fit inside the Bosal without opening out the latter's split section. At the moment the Klarius is roughly half a millimetre too big.

Klarius O/D - 56.92mm
Bosal I/D - 56.37mm

Hmm, not sure what to do. I don't want to open the split and put a kink in it.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 18:57   #32
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Well, I bought the Klarius and I can't get it to fit inside the Bosal without opening out the latter's split section. At the moment the Klarius is roughly half a millimetre too big.

Klarius O/D - 56.92mm
Bosal I/D - 56.37mm

Hmm, not sure what to do. I don't want to open the split and put a kink in it.

Take the new Klarius to an exhaust shop and have them stretch the inlet to the OUTSIDE diameter of the exhaust pipe so that will fit INSIDE the new Klarius.

That's what I would do. Actually, I would buy the exhaust pipe expander tool and a big hammer, cut a couple of slots in the Klarius AWAY from the slots in the pipe and make it bigger myself. It feels really good to hit something with a big hammer sometimes. A little muffler cement will then help it fit together and ensure no leaks.

Edit: Hmmm, looks like the newer ones have taken away the hammer fun. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/o...-1250045p.html

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2

Last edited by slovcan; 16th June 2019 at 19:00..
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 11:17   #33
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Take the new Klarius to an exhaust shop and have them stretch the inlet to the OUTSIDE diameter of the exhaust pipe so that will fit INSIDE the new Klarius.

That's what I would do. Actually, I would buy the exhaust pipe expander tool and a big hammer, cut a couple of slots in the Klarius AWAY from the slots in the pipe and make it bigger myself. It feels really good to hit something with a big hammer sometimes. A little muffler cement will then help it fit together and ensure no leaks.

Edit: Hmmm, looks like the newer ones have taken away the hammer fun. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/o...-1250045p.html

Cheers,
Glenn
I don't think the exhaust centres over here would want to do the stretching/expanding work - they'd rather sell me one of their own systems.

That expander tool might work, although it's got some pretty mixed reviews (not strong enough etc) - here it is on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Ex.../dp/B002R33Q9K

Even if it is strong enough, there's a good chance the expander will tear the pipe open. The Klarius has two slots cut into the inlet pipe (similar to the slots visible in this pic). Expanding the pipe by force is likely to cause a tear starting at the closed end of each slot - that will just make matters worse. I found some videos online showing the expander tool in action - none of them show it being used on a pipe with slots. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ax2UbCst2Q

Edit: Here's one but I can see any difference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWtducrohA

Last edited by Blink; 17th June 2019 at 12:03..
Old 17th June 2019, 13:07   #34
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
I don't think the exhaust centres over here would want to do the stretching/expanding work - they'd rather sell me one of their own systems.

That expander tool might work, although it's got some pretty mixed reviews (not strong enough etc) - here it is on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Ex.../dp/B002R33Q9K

Even if it is strong enough, there's a good chance the expander will tear the pipe open. The Klarius has two slots cut into the inlet pipe (similar to the slots visible in this pic). Expanding the pipe by force is likely to cause a tear starting at the closed end of each slot - that will just make matters worse. I found some videos online showing the expander tool in action - none of them show it being used on a pipe with slots. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ax2UbCst2Q

Edit: Here's one but I can see any difference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWtducrohA
Do what the guy in the last video did. It will work. It won't split the pipe. If it doesn't stretch quite enough or easily for your liking maybe heat the pipe with a propane or butane torch and continue.

Old 17th June 2019, 14:16   #35
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Do what the guy in the last video did. It will work. It won't split the pipe. If it doesn't stretch quite enough or easily for your liking maybe heat the pipe with a propane or butane torch and continue.
I need to expand it by 0.55mm plus a bit for clearance - let's say 0.75mm total (0.03 inches). I suppose it's worth a shot. Heating it would definitely help as long as I don't grab hold of the hot bit by mistake - ouch! (look where his left hand is at 2m 42s).

Last edited by Blink; 19th June 2019 at 16:04.. Reason: Typo
Old 17th June 2019, 18:50   #36
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
I need to expand it by 0.55mm plus a bit for clearance - let's say 0.75mm total (0.03 inches). I suppose it's worth a shot. Heating it would definitely help as long as I don't grab hold of the hot bit by mistake - ouch! (look where is left hand is at 2m 42s).
Once burned, twice shy! I predict a successful installation.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 18th June 2019, 12:29   #37
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Once burned, twice shy! I predict a successful installation.
I'm more inclined to the "if it can go wrong it will go wrong" approach.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:29   #38
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I predict a successful installation.

Cheers,
Glenn
You were right Glenn (much as I hate to admit it ). The pipe expander worked a treat even without provocation from a blowgun.

I've expanded the Bosal pipe by about 1.0mm - it' would probably go to +1.50mm quite easily but there's enough clearance as it is, so I think I'll leave it there.

Now for this little lot.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:48   #39
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
You were right Glenn (much as I hate to admit it ). The pipe expander worked a treat even without provocation from a blowgun.

I've expanded the Bosal pipe by about 1.0mm - it' would probably go to +1.50mm quite easily but there's enough clearance as it is, so I think I'll leave it there.

Now for this little lot.
Excellent! Nothing like a happy ending .

With the advice of TC and the others I'm sure your next job will go fine, too.