Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2019, 16:36   #1
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default HCCI Engines

Is anyone else interested in this petrol engine compression ignition technology?
With all of the hype with electric vehicles it seems that this been given a serious lack of publicity.

If it proves itself, it has to be a major leap forward for petrol engine technology, probably, the most significant in decades.

Mazda are scheduled to launch their “Skyactive-X” engine in the near future.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/under-skin-how-mazda-changing-internal-combustion

It claims to have a cleaner burn, greatly improved engine efficiency and power, with diesel type fuel consumption from a petrol engine.

Quite impressive!

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 17:41   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The big question is, does the world need a leap forward in petrol engine technology? Seems a bit too late.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 17:49   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

How about a leap forward with electric cars? Like, 600/700 miles per charge. Not having to start paying through the nose for using a charger when going to Cornwall from Birmingham.I wonder how many cars you will see abandoned by the side of the road because the battery has packed up suddenly? Aaahhhh the good old days.I think it is pathetic that electric cars are being pushed onto the public at exorbitant prices. The idea is doomed. Wait and see.
Old 20th May 2019, 17:54   #4
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

What practical difference will these HCCI engines make?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 18:06   #5
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
How about a leap forward with electric cars? Like, 600/700 miles per charge. Not having to start paying through the nose for using a charger when going to Cornwall from Birmingham.I wonder how many cars you will see abandoned by the side of the road because the battery has packed up suddenly? Aaahhhh the good old days.I think it is pathetic that electric cars are being pushed onto the public at exorbitant prices. The idea is doomed. Wait and see.
The sheep have drunk the koolaid. How about making the batteries without producing producing tons of greenhouse gases? How about making batteries that cost less than the value of the car when they need replacing in 10 years? Or, how about finding safe ways to dispose of all those old batteries?

If all things are considered, our existing gas and diesel cars are greener than the electric ones.

Now, hydrogen is a different story. That's the road the world should have taken.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 18:55   #6
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
They've already done pretty good in terms increasing range. Look at them now and compare them to 20 years ago. They've come on leaps and bounds.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 16:41   #7
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I can’t see electrically powered airliners, ships and heavy vehicles (essential for our worldwide transport and agriculture) happening, any time soon.
As long as that is the position, there will be a market for petrol.

Refining crude oil creates generates products in pretty fixed ratios of which petroleum is around 47%. We can blame science for that.
We will still need the other products, such as diesel, aviation fuel, asphalt, plastics etc etc. So the refining will continue.

Should we no longer require petrol, because we are all using electric vehicles, then petrol will become a waste product.
We then have a disposal problem.
Should we burn it?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote