Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2019, 07:57   #1
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

Default Worn crank pulley

As from last night (2.0 cdti auto) clattering bad at idle and disappears when moving. Christ the other day was a burning smell from the back now this

I know getting these pulley bolts of is a nightmare but should I get a new belt too as I've no idea how old this one is. Will I also need a water pump and tensioner, if so this will be a hefty bill.
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 08:24   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

With the serpentine belt removed you can check all the other pulleys for roughness and play, and then decide if they want changing or not.

Might be worth doing this before buying any bits as a worn water pump can clatter like a shot crank pulley.

Water pumps and tensioners last far longer on the diesels than petrol engines - my water pump went just shy of 300k miles and the tensioner is on 398k and still going strong.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 22nd June 2019 at 09:06..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 08:43   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Taking the crank pulley bolt out is easy with a Mac BWP151 impact gun, never had one I can’t break loose yet
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 18:31   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Taking the crank pulley bolt out is easy with a Mac BWP151 impact gun, never had one I can’t break loose yet
Mick
Probably cost £300.00 plus though.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 22:45   #5
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
With the serpentine belt removed you can check all the other pulleys for roughness and play, and then decide if they want changing or not.

Might be worth doing this before buying any bits as a worn water pump can clatter like a shot crank pulley.

Water pumps and tensioners last far longer on the diesels than petrol engines - my water pump went just shy of 300k miles and the tensioner is on 398k and still going strong.

Yes I'll get them checked too....I can't believe though it's literally one thing after another

Colvett.... That's about right or second hand 150-2 and god knows if they'll need rebuilt like my S/O does.

Is it safe to drive with it clattering at idle, when out this morning and in traffic had the revs at 1000 as that stopped it. Infact as I'm driving there's no noise only at idle but it's hellish.

Last edited by CCFMJL; 21st June 2019 at 23:23..
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:30   #6
Mickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Probably cost £300.00 plus though.---
I was only raising the point that a quality impact gun would get it off, maybe the OP might be able to borrow one, I’ve lent mine out before to a local for this job, oh and mine cost a lot more than £300 when I bought it new.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

[/SIZE]
Old 22nd June 2019, 08:09   #7
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

I've got a good one but needs rebuilt and don't fancy burgering about with scaffy poles ect.

Can anybody say if it's ok to still drive like this as the guy I use is away for 2 weeks.
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:05   #8
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFMJL View Post
I've got a good one but needs rebuilt and don't fancy burgering about with scaffy poles ect.

Can anybody say if it's ok to still drive like this as the guy I use is away for 2 weeks.
I'm afraid it will get worse and at some point will suddenly fail. That has happened to others. Once the rubber starts tearing it can start to fail even quicker. Two weeks? No way of knowing.

I think you have some mechanical know-how. Maybe get a Corteco pulley and start doing the job yourself - you know, all the prep work - then get a mobile mechanic to come by with a strong impact gun to get the pulley off and the new one secured on. Then you can reassemble everything yourself. Hopefully there is a mobile mechanic who has the special tool for the pulley bolt.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:08   #9
Mickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFMJL View Post

When they eventually fail it will gave way with a very loud bang and chuck the belts off, resulting in loosing power steering, then the alternator light will come on along with the temp gauge hitting the red section as you loose cooling triggering the fan onto high speed.

It’s kind of how long is a piece of string, I’d be changing it ASAP if you can, as you don’t want to be broken down by the side of the road going nowhere.
Mick

[/SIZE]
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:25   #10
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
I'm afraid it will get worse and at some point will suddenly fail. That has happened to others. Once the rubber starts tearing it can start to fail even quicker. Two weeks? No way of knowing.

I think you have some mechanical know-how. Maybe get a Corteco pulley and start doing the job yourself - you know, all the prep work - then get a mobile mechanic to come by with a strong impact gun to get the pulley off and the new one secured on. Then you can reassemble everything yourself. Hopefully there is a mobile mechanic who has the special tool for the pulley bolt.

Cheers,
Glenn
Yea I've got the know how but it's getting the barstd bolt of and don't have a mobile mech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
When they eventually fail it will gave way with a very loud bang and chuck the belts off, resulting in loosing power steering, then the alternator light will come on along with the temp gauge hitting the red section as you loose cooling triggering the fan onto high speed.

It’s kind of how long is a piece of string, I’d be changing it ASAP if you can, as you don’t want to be broken down by the side of the road going nowhere.
Mick
I kind of thought that I guess I better stay off it.