Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st August 2009, 16:18   #1
Sosban
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8+

Smile Catalyst error code

Whilst out driving today, the engine management light came on. When I checked the error code it came up P0420, which according to my list means "Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)".

I reset the code and drove another 20 miles or so without the warning light coming back on. Does anyone know the significance of this error, and what I need to do to correct it?

Thanks in advance.
Sosban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 18:29   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It means the catalyst is not performing to the specifiction set down. The 1.8 turbos are particularly prone to this due to the ceramic matrix coming loose and rattling. It eventually wears away as shown here:

Some of the later OEM catalysts supplied by Xpart also under perform, giving rise to the same fault indication. Changing the lambda sensor is unlikely to make any difference. Soon be time for a replacement I suspect.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 20:05   #3
Sosban
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8+

Thanks T-Cut, looks like I'll have to start looking for a replacement then!
Old 22nd August 2009, 05:44   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Do you have a code reader or scan tool? If it reads data you need to check the voltages of both oxygen sensors.
Upstream should move between about 0.2v and 0.8v
downstream should flat line around 0.4-0.5 volts
If the downstream is fluctuating it's the catalyst

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:40   #5
Sosban
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8+

I use a Scangauge II. It doesn't read values from the oxygen sensors by default, and I don't have the knowledge to program the unit to scan these sensors. Thanks for the info.
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:27   #6
eskezz
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon

My car had a new cat fitted 1 year and 6K miles ago and still gets code 0420 when the EML comes on. I just reset the light and as the car has passed 2 MOT's since fitting I am reasonably happy that all is OK. However I could be wrong. Have an emission test and see what shows up-should indicate the condition of the cat.
eskezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:23   #7
Sosban
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8+

Had my MOT only last month, with no probs. ECU warning light hasn't come on again, so I think I'll wait a while to see what happens.
Old 8th April 2019, 13:05   #8
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I recently had some problems with an exhaust valve fixed. Engine runs as smooth as you like, but now the P0420-code spoils the fun. Is it unwise to keep on driving with this problem (just because the valve problem wasn't solved cheaply )?
Greccehus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 13:33   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greccehus1 View Post
I recently had some problems with an exhaust valve fixed. Engine runs as smooth as you like, but now the P0420-code spoils the fun. Is it unwise to keep on driving with this problem (just because the valve problem wasn't solved cheaply )?
Hi,

Well, the answers are above - catalytic converter or oxygen sensor. Get the code reset and see if it comes back. Run a tank of good fuel with a bottle of catalytic converter cleaner something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Granville-1.../dp/B005OW0WJI . That might prolong the life of the cat and might even help clean the O2 sensors. Bad O2 sensors will cause bad gas mileage and damage the cat, but OK to drive until you get it fixed (don't take a year to do it!).

What engine is it and what's the story on the exhaust valve - burned, for how long?

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 16:24   #10
Greccehus1
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Glenn,

thanks for your quick reply. The burned valve problem started mid January I think (misfire). The check engine light came on and first thing my garage did was replace the coil. This helped for two days or so and then the light came on again. I tried loads of things among which changing the plugs, changing coils again (some people on the Dutch Rover forum told me that Rover 75's can be particular when it comes to brands (Beru only), cleaning the stepper motor and using Wynn's cleaner products for injectors, valves, petrol system and cat. All to no avail. Another garage told me after checking compression that cylinder two had none. They didn't want to open the engine since they had no experience with the 1.8 turbo engine. I found a Rover garage who found out about the valve. 1.5 week later I was loads of Euro's poorer and as mentioned above a smoothly running engine richer. However, this morning I was unpleasantly surprised to see the light coming on again. Checking with TOAF showed the P0420-code AND even more irritating: I now seem toexperience trouble starting it; it takes a moment or two to pick up revs (are these two symptoms related?)
The engine is like I said above a 1.8 turbo.

Cheers,

Jasper
Greccehus1 is offline   Reply With Quote