Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th May 2008, 14:45   #1
gippa
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+135 in x-power grey

Default Mg News!!! New Tf!!!

I know its not strictly for this forum but at least it a positive step and it look decent enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new mgf.jpg (66.7 KB, 125 views)
gippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 15:16   #2
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Looks well smart that! Nice engine choice too, but not available until around 2010.

Robbed from Auto Distress site:

It's the roadster revival of the decade! Auto Express can exclusively take the wraps off the car that’s sure to get British fans hot under the collar: the new MG TF.

Emerging from the ashes of the famous company, the roadster is the first sign that the spirit of MG is alive and well, even though the brand is in the hands of Chinese owners.

This stunning model is set to replace the existing TF – production of which is back on track at MG Rover’s old home of Longbridge in the West Midlands – and will go on sale around 2010. And there’s not only a convert*ible planned, but a coupé, too!

The new TF is based around the Roewe 550 compact hatch, which made its debut at the Beijing Motor Show (Issue 1,009). It will feature a rear-wheel-drive version of that model’s platform – and this should ensure it has plenty of appeal for enthusiasts.

Although it will be slightly bigger than the Mazda MX-5, the MG will be targeting the Japanese convertible, as it’s likely to carry a similar price tag. However, also in its sights are the likes of the Alfa Romeo Spider, Audi TT Roadster and Volkswagen Eos.

If it looks a little familiar, that’s because the new TF takes some of its styling inspiration from the MG SV supercar and X80 concept. Those models were both based on the Mangusta – a sports car from Italian maker Qvale, which MG Rover bought in 2001.

As you can see from our pictures, produced using insider information, the new TF updates that shape with a striking front end incorporating a deep-set four-piece radiator grille and quad headlamps. At the rear, the curvy tail completes the look.

Under the skin, the TF features a chassis based on a design that was created by MG Rover – one which would have underpinned a replacement for the 45/ZS, had the company not gone into receivership.

When Shanghai Automobile Corporation (SAIC) bought the rights to the 25 and 75, it also acquired projects such as the unfinished 45. It has since produced the Roewe 550 and the 75-based Roewe 750.

There has always been the desire within SAIC to build a replacement for the TF, but with rival Nanjing Automobile Corpor*ation (NAC) owning the rights to the MG badge, there was never any chance of it wearing the famous octagon emblem – until the two Chinese giants joined forces.

Featuring a rear-wheel-drive platform dev*eloped in conjunction with British engineering expert Ricardo, plus MG Rover-based engines – including a 1.8-litre turbo and 2.5-litre V6 – the TF will deliver a great driving experience. And as SAIC-NAC are looking to form a UK Roewe dealer network in 2010, the stage is set for the TF’s comeback.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 15:22   #3
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Great news - if its true.

Unfortunately AE do not have a good track record on printing true stories.

Still, they have to be right sometimes, I suppose. Lets hope they are on this occasion.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 15:24   #4
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

I like it. The headlamps give it almost an Afla Romeo look!

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 17:35   #5
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

That's a photoshop job, I guarantee it.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:41   #6
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippa View Post
I know its not strictly for this forum but at least it a positive step and it look decent enough.
No worries. Moved to the NAC Forum.

Last edited by Simon; 7th May 2008 at 19:24..
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:03   #7
Westfield or 75
Banned

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Classic SE and Westfield 1600i Sport

Wont ever see the light of day, its a photoshop from Auto distress !
550 platform is too heavy to be a sports car (same weight asa 75!) and cannot be adapted to suit rear wheel drive !!

I doubt it is being developed with Ricardo and Roewe is not being sold as a brand outside China, so thats shot that article down !
Westfield or 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:09   #8
payner75t
Gets stuck in

Saab 900 convertible,Ford Mondeo zetec tdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield or 75 View Post
Wont ever see the light of day, its a photoshop from Auto distress !
550 platform is too heavy to be a sports car (same weight asa 75!) and cannot be adapted to suit rear wheel drive !!

I doubt it is being developed with Ricardo and Roewe is not being sold as a brand outside China, so thats shot that article down !
not true!!!
saic have already confirmed it will be built and on sale in 2010!!!
the chassis is a development of the roewe 550 not the same chassis.
payner75t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:22   #9
Westfield or 75
Banned

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Classic SE and Westfield 1600i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by payner75t View Post
not true!!!
saic have already confirmed it will be built and on sale in 2010!!!
the chassis is a development of the roewe 550 not the same chassis.

Where have SAIC said it will be built and on sale in 2010, i must have missed that article!

I thought the 550 Chassis was the same as 75/ZT? The only way it could be rear wheel drive is if the chassis was the same as ZT260.
Westfield or 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:40   #10
payner75t
Gets stuck in

Saab 900 convertible,Ford Mondeo zetec tdci

it was a couple of weeks ago on a chinese website !!
i don't know the chassis details but this is how it was related in several places!!
just realised that when the head of saic was here last week he also confimed it as well as three other models to be built at longbridge

Last edited by payner75t; 7th May 2008 at 19:42.. Reason: forgot something!!
payner75t is offline   Reply With Quote