Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2009, 17:33   #1
Lotus7

MG ZT 1.8T

Default MG ZT 1.8T coolant loss

Help please. I have a 2003 MG ZT 1.8T which has decided to lose coolant once engine is turned off. Cooling system appears to be over pressurizing and the cooling fan appears to not come in anymore.
Car has had 3 HGF tests all of which were negative. 2 garrages have had 6 looks at the problem with both saying they cannot get the car to replicate leak and or get the engine hot enough to have cooling fan cut in!!
The casr was perfect until it had service 6 months ago when the MGR garage flushed out cooling system as part of service. It has leaked ever since.
I am going nuts...............Please help if possible.

Lotus7
Lotus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 17:39   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

One favourite leaky spot is the plastic T-piece just behind the radiator at the top. Check the pipe dropping down to the PRT. You'll see pink staining if the joints are leaking. If so, replace the silly clips with Jubilees and retighten carefully. If that don't work think about commisssioning a GerryTee.

As to the fan, what year is the car?

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 18:03   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Welcome to the forums David,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Where about in the country are you located as few have some good garages and members around the place that could offer some help.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 18:30   #4
Lotus7

MG ZT 1.8T

Thanks, coolant appears to leak from 3 areas depending on length of drive. Short drive = t - piece/ little pipe running down from it. Medium drive (10 miles +) = from T piece and the top hose as it goes into the top of the radiator. Long drive (Motorway) = from t-piece, top of radiator and I think from the expansion tank as a couple of times I have seen coolant on the air box cover.
The amount of coolant loss is minimal, maybe 1/2 litre (max) a week (car is used daily).

The car is an 03 plate.

Also, where is the temperature sensor for the fan/temp gauge so I can check/clean terminals to see if this makes fan cut in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
One favourite leaky spot is the plastic T-piece just behind the radiator at the top. Check the pipe dropping down to the PRT. You'll see pink staining if the joints are leaking. If so, replace the silly clips with Jubilees and retighten carefully. If that don't work think about commisssioning a GerryTee.

As to the fan, what year is the car?

Old 8th February 2009, 18:30   #5
Lotus7

MG ZT 1.8T

Chelmsford in Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyman View Post
Welcome to the forums David,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Where about in the country are you located as few have some good garages and members around the place that could offer some help.
Old 8th February 2009, 19:32   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The temp sensor is on an alluminun housing on the right hand front corner of the cylinder head as you look under the bonnet. If the connector is disconnected with the ignition on the fan should run - keep you hands well away from the fan :lol:

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 19:42   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Thanks, coolant appears to leak from 3 areas depending on length of drive. Short drive = t - piece/ little pipe running down from it. Medium drive (10 miles +) = from T piece and the top hose as it goes into the top of the radiator. Long drive (Motorway) = from t-piece, top of radiator
Clearly all the connections to the plastic T-piece are leaking. Try a new Jubilee clip on each and tighten judiciously to avoid distorting the thing. If that's not completely successful, I'd go for the custom built steel one. Details under 'gerry' postings.

Quote:
I think from the expansion tank as a couple of times I have seen coolant on the air box cover.
The cap may be releasing coolant due to an over-heat developing when the fan isn't effective. The cap may be weak and need replacing.

Quote:
The amount of coolant loss is minimal, maybe 1/2 litre (max) a week (car is used daily).
That's too much to ignore. You cannot afford leaks on that scale without risking head gasket failure. You should fix them asap.

Quote:
The car is an 03 plate.
Difficult to say which fan type (2- or 3-speed) you have. Switchover happened around late 03. I'd suspect a worn slow speed brush, but if it's the later type, the slow speed resistor has failed. Does the fan operate when the air conditioning is switch on (Auto)?

Quote:
where is the temperature sensor for the fan/temp gauge so I can check/clean terminals to see if this makes fan cut in.
Here's a picture of mine.

Hello boys!
Old 8th February 2009, 21:15   #8
Lotus7

MG ZT 1.8T

Thanks for the pic and the info. I have a 2 speed fan which works fine when Aircon/climate is turned on.
As for too much of a leak - yep you are right, however 1 drop is too much. In saying that, car has now done 7000 miles with the leak, so you can pretty much guess how frustrated I am with the problem.
And yes, the expansion cap is brand new. Cured problem for all of 3 days!!
Just a silly question. Is there a way of making the fan cut in permanently to see if it is actually working?

Thanks for all of your help.
David

Any clues
Old 8th February 2009, 21:37   #9
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Chelmsford in Essex
Now who lives around here PM sent Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 21:46   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Is there a way of making the fan cut in permanently to see if it is actually working?
Since the fan runs continuously when the A/C system is on with engine running, the fan motor is obviously OK and the slow speed resistor is functioning. It would only operate every 30 seconds, on-off-on-off, at high speed if the resistor was dud.

If you detach the sensor wiring, the fan should trip into emergency high speed cooling mode. It sounds like the sensor or its wiring is faulty. Have you run the coolant temperature diagnostics to see what it says? See: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ng+temperature