Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2020, 13:31   #1
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default Rust !!

OK so after almost 20 years the rust bug is starting to show it's ugly head on some of our cars now, but maybe we should count ourselves lucky.
Have a look at the underside of this 2006 350Z MOT failure I saw on a ramp today, that bill is going to hurt.

Last edited by Ian G; 24th November 2020 at 13:54..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 13:54   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Those are notoriously bad, very frequently come up for spares / repairs for that reason. A lot of Japanese cars are similarly bad come to think of it. I go over the entire underneath of my 2002 Nissan terrano to maintain it’s generally rust free chassis and body. Quite usual for its age too, many are welded at that age. My newer tourer was far worse than my terrano is

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 14:09   #3
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

That is a frightening amount of corrosion even for an 06.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 08:30   #4
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Cars of the 70's & 80's had the same problem, where only minimal protection was applied to the underbody components, but because the body's rotted so badly too, most were scrapped maybe by 10 years old, so long before a suspension component ever became an issue

Nowadays, manufacturers have generally sorted the bodyshell protection, so at 15 years the parts underneath become an issue on cars. After all, no customer sees those bits when they're standing in a shiny showroom, so no point wasting money on decent protection....

A bit like our original rear arms, if they'll last 10 years, that'll do.
Old 25th November 2020, 11:10   #5
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

Sooner than that now Paul. I called round to a yard recently which was breaking a 75 and they had several 10 year old Mercs and Audis parked neatly in a line which I presumed, due to their shiny state on top, were for sale. No, all were for breaking and they'd got one on a ramp:severe rot underneath and the rear suspension arms much thinner than 75s. I was advised they're all like that and the 75 is a good car for corrosion protection in comparison!

Following that I happened to call in at a garage where a friend works. He was part way through doing the first MOT on a BMW [alas, can't recall which model].He said look at these floors breaking up....!! So, instant fail at first MOT and I think this is a DVLA recall item now for BMW to sort.

I understand VW/Audi advise that their new cars are designed for an 8 year life on average, presumably many other manufacturers do the same. Does this mean the anti corrosion measures have been reduced to meet this and, of course, save money[for them, not the owner]?

Kevin
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 11:23   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post
......I understand VW/Audi advise that their new cars are designed for an 8 year life on average, presumably many other manufacturers do the same. Does this mean the anti corrosion measures have been reduced to meet this and, of course, save money[for them, not the owner]Kevin

Who can say .

But, if you were in a great big "Club" where your "customers" are all being taken along a path that means that "someone" in the "Club" gets a new sale every few years, say, 3 years or so; and if all the products from the "Club" effectively self destruct in maybe, say, for the sake of argument, 8 years or so what a great self preserving "Club" to be a member of.....

Why would you build something to last 20 years when that may put you and your fellow "Club" members out of business?

Or maybe I'm just a Gumpy old cynic

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote