Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th February 2019, 10:29   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Mine did this shortly before the cable pulley seized and the cable snapped. As Brian says above, rats nest.

Replaced with a good working one, but cleaned initially with wd40, to flush dampness from the cables, flushed with plus gas prior to hopefully clean corrosion. Then lightly greased the cables on refitting.

sent from here

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 15:19   #22
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
I have been told the issue will be the window regulator and what you describe confirms it for me (not that I doubted the advice) and I believe Mickyboy will be the man to contact for a good replacement part. Lee.
I wanted to update on this. I found the strip along the top pf the door to be heavily encrusted with grit, which i cleared out as suggested with a thin steel rule, i then gave it a good wash down as well. The front edge of the window where it goes up behind the mirror was also like this. I then sprayed some of the grease down as also suggested. He screech was much reduced but still there, plus i now had a greasy window.

So i then gave the car a good wash and by repeated operations of the window until no more grease attached itself to the glass, the screech has now gone, amd the window moves smoothly and quietly. I think the process of washing the door to get rid of the grease helped shift a bit of grease to where it was needed.

So for now this is fixed. I would not be surprised to have it return once the door dries out again,but silence has returned for the time being.

Thanks for the tips
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 17:34   #23
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Got my replacement window regulator from Mickyboy, thanks, booked into garage on Wednesday to have it fitted. Hopefully will be sorted. Anyone know how long this job should take?
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 18:36   #24
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

New window regulator fitted today, 1.5 hours labour charge, all working fine again. When I took my car in at 8am there was a grey facelift there waiting to have new droplinks fitted, when I picked it up tonight was told that they had a Moonstone estate with uprated rear springs on a 51 plate in for MOT, apparently the owner found it had been standing in a farm yard for several years before he got it, spent a lot bringing up to spec, passed MOT with no advisories, lives in the LLanbrynmair area. 3 75's in the same garage in one day. Is this a members car?
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 18:23   #25
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quite surprised to see it is almost a year since i started this thread, but today finally fitted a replacement regulator from Mickyboy. Silence returned. Could not see anything obvious wrong with my old regulator except very rusty cable. The new one is in much better shape.

Just my luck the ABS light is on now. Fails the startup check.
Old 24th January 2020, 21:54   #26
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Have had the same problem on 2 of my tourers. Cure in both my cases was to strip the window out of the door frame wash the lower half both sides to degrunge them,lube the cables with oil, clean the door channels,re assemble and be noise free.
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 04:38   #27
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover 75 Tourer View Post
Have had the same problem on 2 of my tourers. Cure in both my cases was to strip the window out of the door frame wash the lower half both sides to degrunge them,lube the cables with oil, clean the door channels,re assemble and be noise free.
Yes, i will be keeping my old one after doing the same. I couldnt see anything wrong with the mechanism that would have accounted for the volume of noise i was hearing, but the rusty cable, and maybe a mixture of stiff pulleys and dirty glass all combined.

I had already improved it some time ago with some lubrication and cleaning, but its only when you have it all out of the door that you can access everything.

My other car made the noise just before the cable snapped, so expected this one to be on the verge of snapping, but doesnt look like it is.
Old 25th January 2020, 14:38   #28
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Mine's done the screech thing for years now and I've always thought it was a rubber-against-glass sort of noise. Is it the regulator instead?

I've also got the scratched glass issue. Has anyone tried T16's idea of using 3M felt window guide tape (post 17)? http://www.interwesttools.com/p-323-...0-ft-roll.aspx
https://www.dhgate.com/product/black...246716106.html
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2020, 19:15   #29
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Found this interesting. I have the scratched glass and screech. I had been looking at re-surfacing the glass BUT clearly a pointless exercise until the guides cleaned / refurbished with the 3M stuff and the regulator mechanism fixed replaced.

Thanks for the info.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote