Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2019, 19:51   #11
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Good career move for a youngster, my son joined the Royal Navy as a marine engineering mechanic, then qualified for the submarine service, ended up on the nuclear subs. Best engineering training going. Now in civvy street as an engineer. Can't go wrong providing you can pass the entry requirements and stick at it!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 06:40   #12
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Good luck with your applications. It's not easy getting into the Forces so you'll have to persevere.
Old 8th March 2019, 09:06   #13
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Good career move for a youngster, my son joined the Royal Navy as a marine engineering mechanic, then qualified for the submarine service, ended up on the nuclear subs. Best engineering training going. Now in civvy street as an engineer. Can't go wrong providing you can pass the entry requirements and stick at it!
totally agree and even when i come out I'll have the qualifications to start a company or work for a top company
Old 8th March 2019, 16:08   #14
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

One of my friends applied to join the Army a few years ago and the level of fitness requirements were very high.

I know one of the things he struggled with was the 5 mile run with a 25 kilo back pack.

Good luck I really hope you make it.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 20:02   #15
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

It's great you've got a plan sorted for the future. I didn't and now I've ended up on a uni course gathering debt instead of doing something I actually want to do. Choosing to be an engineer is a great choice because it's clearly something you really want to do and are passionate about. I wish I took an apprenticeship on something to do with mechanics instead...

Best of luck on your application and I hope you have a great time, and I totally agree with your "do what you think is right" attitude. Your cars will always be waiting for you when you get home.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 21:55   #16
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrycai View Post
It's great you've got a plan sorted for the future. I didn't and now I've ended up on a uni course gathering debt instead of doing something I actually want to do. Choosing to be an engineer is a great choice because it's clearly something you really want to do and are passionate about. I wish I took an apprenticeship on something to do with mechanics instead...

Best of luck on your application and I hope you have a great time, and I totally agree with your "do what you think is right" attitude. Your cars will always be waiting for you when you get home.
I wanted to be a mechanic when I was Thomas's age , younger actually, when I turned 16 I did a YTS which was a waste of time. Afterwards I didn't get kept on, and wrote to every garage within a bus ride of home, asking if they would take a very enthusiastic semi trained lad on as an apprentice, no one was interested, so if Thomas can get the skills he needs or wants, then he's going to get the best training possible, if he gets in.
I'm now self-employed, done the same dead end job for 30 years and now hate it. If I got the chance to follow my chosen career now, I would jump at it. At (almost) 52, no chance of that. So if you get the chance to follow your dreams Thomas, knuckle down at school, get good grades, and grab the opportunity with both hands son.I wish you all the best.

Last edited by RPWC; 10th March 2019 at 22:00..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 14:16   #17
ROVER2003

didn't get in i applied for the land rover and tanks side there reason ones because my intrested i cars
Old 30th April 2019, 14:31   #18
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
didn't get in i applied for the land rover and tanks side there reason ones because my intrested i cars
Don't be down hearted, give it another year and try again.
Old 30th April 2019, 14:46   #19
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Don't be down hearted, give it another year and try again.
im just going to do what suits my life style best move to america make drag cars races cars hot rods drift cars off road cars traveling to scrap yards and restoring classics
Old 30th April 2019, 19:32   #20
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
I applied for the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and the British Army.
You say that you didn't get in, was that all 3?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote