Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd June 2019, 13:05   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Having a hack car

I got myself a Tourer last year to do up and get back on the road which it now is. Internally it is in good condition but externally it has seen much better days.
I was hoping to replace it with a really nice condition MK II with a Sandstone interior and walnut dash but have decided not to.

I realise how stressed I get parking my saloon in some car parks, even to the point of not taking it places. No such worry with the Tourer, I don't want any more dents or scratches and try to park away from the crowd but if it got a dent, I'd not lose any sleep over it.

The tourer is my hack car and despite not liking the colour it will be staying.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 15:00   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I know exactly what you mean, Ian. This is why I love driving my Omega estate - apart from the V6 sound, power and comfort that is. It will be 20 years old in September so another door being opened into it by some nice caring person is not going to leave me with gritting teeth. In fact, I would probably reciprocate in order to make the other person feel better by showing that such things just happen.

I got back last night after a 600 mile journey to North Wales and back. Loved every minute and mile of it.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 15:19   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I wouldn't call my 75 a "Hack" Car - However I feel the same - I don't neglect the Exterior but don't Stress over a wee Scratch or two

I was lucky to inherit quite a significant "Scar" on the n/s rear Door upon purchase of my 75 - so any other wee marks/scratches have never really bothered me that said, I have polished out a few scratches with Good results - and, just this weekend removed a stubborn blemish that appears to have been the result of a Basketball hitting the Car

Starlight Silver is Great for hiding the imperfections tho - from a distance the Paint looks Great

Paint is for the purpose of protecting the Metal - in this regard I do have a couple of wee areas that require some attention

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 20:08   #4
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Don't know if I would call either of my cars a "hack" car, but will not take Copperleaf to the supermarket car parks. That job is for Moonstone, the posh one, already has a few dings and scratches still gutted if any more appear but at least the comfortable one is safe.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 21:16   #5
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I recently bought a 57 plate Diahatsu Sirion as a "hack" car.

Its small, an auto and I don't care about the odd car park scar.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 21:50   #6
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I've got a Volvo 740 estate which I use more for a daily driver - I mainly commute to the station which is about 3 miles each way. I kept it after my dad passed away and it is a handy car to have, particularly having been doing a few tip runs recently and for shifting bits of car or bus around when needed. I tend now to keep my Firefrost ZT for best.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 21:53   #7
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I had a strange one recently. A fair-sized white mark at the front of the wing by the bonnet proved to be powder of some sort that simply brushed off. But the front point of the wing has been pushed over so it's touching the bonnet. A sack of flour or Columbian marching powder, l dunno.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 22:14   #8
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

My hack car is a KV6 2 litre manual bought off ebay as a source of parts. However, despite being tatty there was virtually nothing wrong with it so it's been pressed into service several times. And currently while my tourer won't start.
Ideally I'd have something older as a back-up vehicle, one that does not need an mot and free tax; I'm considering a Stag, Rover 90, or even a 1936 Rover 14, but all need some time to get them road worthy.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 04:03   #9
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

A '14' l think (I have a 110).

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote