Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th July 2020, 09:25   #1
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer conn SE Auto

Default Smell of petrol fumes

Hi Folks
I get a strong smell of petrol fumes inside car and outside rear when tank is filled just over half way and above, it`s not smelling around engine bay.It has been like it for a while and wondered if it could be the fuel filter or the charcoal canister .I seldom fill over half way as I don`t travel that far with it at a time, I also only use shell petrol if that has any bearing on any of the above . And also I will just mention after spending big money on engine work ( have written before about this) and being told car was finished, with the help of you folks I have done 1k miles since, so we are still running nicely with no overheating at all and as said before I still check water level before any journey as always did and run with the digital reading on.If anyone can advice regarding this fuel smell it would be much appreciated, Regards Paul
Ginger Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2020, 11:14   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Paul,

From what you've described I'd start by lifting the rear seat cushion and removing the inspection plates which cover the fuel pump and filter mountings. Check for signs of leakage where these are sealed to the tank.

Simon
Old 26th July 2020, 14:59   #3
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Had exactly the same on Moonstone, it was the seal on top of the petrol tank.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2020, 15:35   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Here's the usual culprit - -

- - which leaks if it's not fitted correctly - this usually happens after someone's been into the tank to fit the orange clip - your 2004 needs one (or has one). There's only one way up for this seal and it must be fitted around the tank port before the filter or pump module is placed in position. There's lots of info on doing this so ask if you need help.

HowTo: See last section in here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 26th July 2020 at 15:40..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2020, 04:29   #5
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer conn SE Auto

Default smell of petrol fumes

Thanks folks, I knew someone would know, as always your advice is much appreciated and I will get on it as soon as it stops raining Regards Paul
Ginger Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 06:06   #6
Patnut
Avid contributor

MG ZT 180+

Im having exactly the same problem as poster but I did put on an orange clip a while back. But when I lifted the rear seat and inspection plate I couldn't see or smell any any signs of leakage. Should I actually unscrew it to physically check the rubber seal? Or could it be coming from underneath the car?

Thanks
Patnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 14:45   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patnut View Post
I'm having exactly the same problem as poster, but I did put on an orange clip a while back. But when I lifted the rear seat and inspection plate I couldn't see or smell any any signs of leakage. Should I actually unscrew it to physically check the rubber seal? Or could it be coming from underneath the car?
Fuel leakage past the large rubber seal goes onto the tank top, from where it dribbles off onto the ground (if it's bad enough). So, leaks causing a strong petrol smell at the rear of the car, especially near the rear wheel arches, usually cause pooling/wetting around the tank port. If there's no smell around the top of the fuel filter when the floor panel is removed, I'd say that's not the cause. You could check the pump side as well. If you have a suspicion about the seal, they're easy enough to replace (there's a HowTo available). Doing this correctly is important, so unless you were aware that the seal only fits one way, perhaps it's not sealing properly?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 15:36   #8
Patnut
Avid contributor

MG ZT 180+

Think ill check it again and other side ill order a new seal just in case.

Thanks,
Pat
Patnut is offline   Reply With Quote