Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Was it you?
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th October 2020, 07:28   #1
Uncle Dean
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Road Trip to Spain

Not so much of a "was it you".

we will be driving a white gold Tourer to Spain via PLymouth from Edinburgh. Look out for us and toot.
Uncle Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 13:40   #2
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
My wife and I just completed a 1200 mile round trip between Edinburgh and Somerset (Watchet) and never saw any other 75’s, it was weird

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 14:06   #3
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dean View Post
Not so much of a "was it you".

we will be driving a white gold Tourer to Spain via PLymouth from Edinburgh. Look out for us and toot.
Hi, where in Spain are you headed for?

I'm interested in driving to Torrevieja myself, probably early next year though.
Old 19th October 2020, 15:05   #4
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

I’ve done this trip many times in all my 75s/ZTs. There are good chips in the transport stop at Reinosa, an hour out of Santander! Don’t take the route through the hills from there but head down to the A-231 to get to Burgos. Buy wine at Aranda del Duero - it’s fantastic, Milagros is beautiful, stop at the services at junction 107 to give the car a breather before climbing the Somosierra mountains north of Madrid. Use your sat nav to get around Madrid - mistakes can be made... there’s only one bit of toll road the whole trip. If you’re heading towards Murcia or Alicante, there’s a good services at Tarancon but wait for the third one that’s over the border into Castile-La Mancha. Pay attention to the lanes around Albacete...
Old 19th October 2020, 18:58   #5
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Similarly I have done many trips down through Spain to the Algarve. Speaking from an unfortunate experience my tip would be to keep aware when stopping at motorway service areas.
About 4 years ago we stopped for a comfort break in the basque region, parked right next to the cafeteria, nipped in to the toilets, came out and found front n/s tyre flat.
Pulled a few yards across the car park for space to change wheel when an over friendly guy came over whilst we were emptying the boot insisting that his mechanic at the depot he was pointing to on the other side of the motorway could help with the tyre. I got a bit frustrated with his insistence, not requiring help to change a wheel. We soon discovered the reason for his close attention his accomplice had taken my wife's two handbags from the passenger footwell while we were distracted. Of course i subsequently discovered that my front tyre had been stanley knifed through the side wall.
The police told us that distraction crime is not uncommon on service areas. We have subsequently heard of other similar distraction methods so the moral of my story is if anyone approaches for whatever reason stop, check, be aware that their intentions may not be honourable. Having said that ,lesson learned and I can't wait to get back on spanish roads again.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 19:49   #6
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

To be fair, that can happen anywhere...
Old 31st October 2020, 17:32   #7
Uncle Dean
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Don’t take the route through the hills from there but head down to the A-231 to get to Burgos.
Keep this road for the return, outstanding scenery. My favourite bit of the whole trip.

Whilst driving I kept a strict control of the speed and driving style, much to HER annoyance.
We went from Edinburgh to Plymouth using mainly motorway, cruising @65mph, and yes , it was quite sedate...avg MPG was 58.
Once in Spain took advantage of the slightly faster limit and cruised @75mph...avg 52.

Did the same in reverse for comparision,it's all up hill....lol, and found the results matched the outward journey.

Now i know that SWMBO can get 60-70 mpg in 'er new Volvo diesel but I was pleased with those figures from a 17yr old.

Old 2nd November 2020, 12:41   #8
Uncle Dean
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
Hi, where in Spain are you headed for?

I'm interested in driving to Torrevieja myself, probably early next year though.
Hi Tommy,.

We were headed a little south of your area, My mother lives just outside Pilar De la Horadada, near to the Mar Menor.

As many have said its a great journey to do, I have done it 3 times now and it is so easy.

Arrive at Plymouth with near to an empty tank, as there are plenty of fuel stations in Santander, my favourite is right in the centre a few 100 yds from the ferry exit called Easygas, as at last week 90.9 cents per litre. one of the few countries where diesel is cheaper than unleaded.

as mentioned head south around Madrid, dont worry about the R3 toll road, 2.35 euros, so it will never break the bank. take care in the service stations pick one that appeals, there are loads, but following a previous post pick one situated in a empty location rather than a built up area... easier to keep an eye on vechicle.
with the 120 speed limit nearly all the way allow 9-10 hours with a stop from when you leave the ferry terminal.

Due to the ferry times I generally head straight south pedaal to the metal, and leave the sight seeing for the way back.

there are a few alternatives to the staightforward reverse of arriving, so you can pick what suits. generally I head to Burgos as an overnight stop on way home.... it leaves a short step of 2-3 hours when i can appreciate the hill route srtaight north mentioned before, its a fantastic road.
Burgos is really beautifull city and this trip we found an AirBnB right in the centre next to the Cathedral, it came complete with an underground private garage so the car was locked and off the road. if anyone wants the details I will interrogate herself... I know it was a complete self contained appartment for 56 euros.

I recomend the journey whole heartedly and leaving from up here at these times was a breath of fresh air.
Writing this in isolation now waiting to see if we are also going to follow our southern neighbours into lockdown.
Old 25th November 2020, 21:48   #9
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Thanks Dean, I just read your post, can't believe I missed it.

Sounds like a really nice trip/drive, hope I get a chance to experience it around April next year.

Tommy :-)

Last edited by ceetdm; 25th November 2020 at 23:21..
ceetdm is offline   Reply With Quote