Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2020, 20:11   #11
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exforces View Post
Unfortunately it stalled today! This is after a weekend of some driving about with no issues and starting to relax!! I'll have to resort to disconnecting/reconnecting the leads underneath the engine bay fusebox to see if connectors are playing up.

I had a very similar problem and Big Russ tested my ECU and said there was nothing wrong with it. He suggested that it could be the engine fusebox as he had had a problem with that on a car he was repairing. Disconnect all the connectors and spray themall with contact cleaner. It cured my car stalling.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 16:46   #12
PMAN01
Happy to waft not race thanks!

Well, having replaced the in-tank fuel pump in 2019, replaced the UB fuel pump twice, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the ECU and replaced the fuel pump relay under the glovebox, I'm at a loss as to why this car stalls. It doesn't appear to be fuel related(!) so maybe it's electrical after all. Very random and when it happens I just pull over wait a moment put key to position 2 and when I can't hear the UB pump and go back to position 1 then try again and after a few moments I hear the UB pump and off I go! I would like to sort this prior to selling the car (I'll try here first obviously) but if I can't then it'll have to be sold with me being honest about this peculiar fault. Any idea's that I haven't thought about? I should add I've disconnected the UB fuse box and removed/replaced the connectors underneath a few times in case of any corrosion (Big Russ gave me that tip).

Last edited by PMAN01; 4th April 2021 at 17:08.. Reason: Additional info
PMAN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 16:49   #13
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exforces View Post
Well, having replaced the in-tank fuel pump in 2019, replaced the UB fuel pump twice, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the ECU and replaced the fuel pump relay under the glovebox, I'm at a loss as to why this car stalls. It doesn't appear to be fuel related(!) so maybe it's electrical after all. Very random and when it happens I just pull over wait a moment put key to position 2 and when I can't hear the UB pump and go back to position 1 then try again and after a few moments I hear the UB pump and off I go! I would like to sort this prior to selling the car (I'll try here first obviously) but if I can't then it'll have to be sold with me being honest about this peculiar fault. Any idea's that I haven't thought about?
See post 11. It will only take a few minutes and does not cost you anything other a bit of contact cleaner
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 17:16   #14
PMAN01

I've disconnected the UB fuse box and removed/replaced the connectors underneath a few times in case of any corrosion (Big Russ gave me that tip). I've not taken the fuses themselves out though.
Old 4th April 2021, 17:34   #15
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

How is your MPG reading o the trip computer -still OK or declining ?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 17:42   #16
PMAN01

Difficult to read the MPG as I have the dreaded lines on the display! Not sure how that relates to the stalling though.
Old 4th April 2021, 17:48   #17
Yorkshire GOC

If you crank sensor is playing up it will send duff data to your ECU and so its fuel calculations will be awry leading to lower miles per gallon than you would normally see. When she stalls when you turn her over does the rev counter flicker - if not that points to the crank sensor.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Old 4th April 2021, 17:51   #18
PMAN01

Ahh I see; well that enlightened me re: the curve ball question!
Yes, the rev counter flickers.
Old 5th April 2021, 10:05   #19
Yorkshire GOC

So the crank sensor is working - can tick off the list - as you have a CDTI a classic stall on the diesel is a faulty fuel injector especially when putting the engine under load ie going up a hill etc - i would do a leak back test on your injectors -if you search the site you will see what i mean.

Old 5th April 2021, 10:12   #20
Yorkshire GOC

By the way did you do the rev counter test straight after she stalled or was it from a cold start? The reason i ask is a failing crank sensor when it is cold ie from start will generally work - only when the engine heats up will it increase the chance of it failing - leaving the engine to cool down it will start again. So do the rev counter observation when she stalls again.

A simple test is when she stalls again have some freeze spray handy - give the crank sensor a spray and if she starts then you are looking at your culprit.