Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd November 2018, 16:52   #1
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool @:>,.; mot

Why do they always make you nervous ? Passed and No advisories My MOT man does make me laugh.....

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 17:52   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

It's a bit like driving past a police car, even when you know fully well you are not doing anything wrong.

Well done on the MOT pass.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:50   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I don't worry about police cars but fully understand about the MOT.
I guess it is the importance and inconvenience if it fails

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:16   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Congratulations on the pass Gaz.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:34   #5
phatfiesta75
Loves to post

rover 75 2.0 cdti connoisseur se

Well done matey I get the same feeling too except in my case it needed £700 worth!! 😩.
Ste
phatfiesta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:44   #6
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Felt really NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- off with my MOT on Wednesday, had already said that I did not want any advisories when I took it in for a service last week, told them that anything that was needed, just do it. Mechanic advised that new pads were needed on the front, ended up with pads and disks, and it still got a fail on headlight aim, why on earth did they just not adjust the lights!
Ok passed it straight afterwards, but did not need a fail.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:47   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

They are just keeping up their statistics They attract attention if they pass too many My local garage has done it twice now .

Last edited by chris75; 2nd November 2018 at 19:50..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:48   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

The testing standards are quite simple to understand, many seem to have forgotten the concept of the word "Test"

A test is to ascertain minimum standards, in no way is it a service and repair scheduled do your own thing.
I test plenty of cars every week, customers expect the screenwash topped up, failed bulbs to be replaced ETC.
If the testable items meet requirements, all good, if not the action is taken as either an outright fail, or the term "PRS" can be effected whereby the tester can perform headlight beam adjustments ETC, but the "PRS" will issue an immediate fail, and then issue the pass afterwards.(pass with rectification at station)

Vehicle servicing will not include headlamp adjustments unless it is painfully obvious that they are wrong, also the service agent will need the beam setting equipment to set alignments accurately (Effectively an MOT bay).

On subject of headlamps, the amount of vehicles I test where the driver has the internal height adjustment in the wrong position is amazing, even with tiny cars without tow bars or any ability to carry heavy loads.

Tyres are the one that are the most regular failure, these are partly due to the "Pub Talk" concept of how and where you dip the tyre with the depth gauge, or guess the testable area, wear blocks give some of the idea, but not the whole truth, as the sipes of the tyre are included in most cases.

So there is a level of annoyance to the owner of a vehicle in for test, but for the tester, he has to comply for his own future as a tester, he can be awarded points against his tester profile, fined for abusing the system and worst cases be imprisoned. It is for this reason, compliance is rule no 1 before even reading any of the tester manual, or listening to the "Pub Talk" sessions frequently heard up and down the land.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:03   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Felt really NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- off with my MOT on Wednesday, had already said that I did not want any advisories when I took it in for a service last week, told them that anything that was needed, just do it. Mechanic advised that new pads were needed on the front, ended up with pads and disks, and it still got a fail on headlight aim, why on earth did they just not adjust the lights!
Ok passed it straight afterwards, but did not need a fail.

I think the tester was right to fail the car, unless you had specifically asked that headlights be adjusted prior to the MOT.

It is not reasonable to expect the tester to fix items during an MOT test. The only way around this would be to pay for a non-certificated MOT equivalent set of tests to be done first, followed by all the work and then a proper MOT.

Last edited by MSS; 3rd November 2018 at 11:23..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 22:32   #10
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

How does a headlight move out of correct alignment, unless through damage or removal for some other purpose? In which case, would you not have the alignment checked?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote