Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2018, 16:11   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Front fog light use

Despite my car having xenon headlights I have to say that the light provided is pretty dismal on unlit roads in my opinion.

For the first time ever yesterday due to foggy conditions I used the front foglight ( first time on any car that I have) and the extra light was great.

When I hit a stretch of road that had no fog, no street/ road lights and no cars coming the other way I popped on the front fog lights again and the illumination was a lot better than just the dismal headlights ( though of course much less than with full beam).

So it started me wondering if it is a good or bad idea to use the front foglights when more headlight illumination is required on unlit roads or will the extra fog lights dazzle oncoming drivers just like when leaving full beam on.

I know that if I gave it a try and it was causing a problem to oncoming drivers that a number would start to flash me letting me know that the extra fog lights were causing a problem but I obviously don't wish to find out in such an inconsiderate way.

So my question is ....would using front foglights (which are not as powerful as main beam) cause a problem to oncoming drivers in other peoples opinion or experience?
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 16:20   #2
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Hello, I'm just down the road from you in Dinas Powys!

I never find my vision dazzled by peoples fog lights on.

I do get dazzled by these larger vehicles that have there headlights higher up upon the bodywork and therefore directly in line with my eyes!

However, plod my have an issue as I was pulled over once for using my fogs without cause (I was younger and thought the car looked cooler with them on )

I agree about the better illumination, perhaps look into upgrading your headlights - I think forum trader Rick-sta provides this service.
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Scaramanga; 30th December 2018 at 16:23..
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 16:24   #3
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Change the burners for 6000k, they are D2S by the way, much better, yours will probably have deteriorated with age.
It is against the law to use fog lamps in anything but fog or snow, it carries a fine, which in my opinion is nowhere near enough.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 16:27   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Despite my car having xenon headlights I have to say that the light provided is pretty dismal on unlit roads in my opinion.

For the first time ever yesterday due to foggy conditions I used the front foglight ( first time on any car that I have) and the extra light was great.

When I hit a stretch of road that had no fog, no street/ road lights and no cars coming the other way I popped on the front fog lights again and the illumination was a lot better than just the dismal headlights ( though of course much less than with full beam).

So it started me wondering if it is a good or bad idea to use the front foglights when more headlight illumination is required on unlit roads or will the extra fog lights dazzle oncoming drivers just like when leaving full beam on.

I know that if I gave it a try and it was causing a problem to oncoming drivers that a number would start to flash me letting me know that the extra fog lights were causing a problem but I obviously don't wish to find out in such an inconsiderate way.

So my question is ....would using front foglights (which are not as powerful as main beam) cause a problem to oncoming drivers in other peoples opinion or experience?
If your xenons aren't good enough, then perhaps they aren't aligned correctly If you have self levelling, then perhaps the arms have become dislodged, btw, my fogs are yellow, perfect for fog
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 17:16   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Change the burners for 6000k, they are D2S by the way, much better, yours will probably have deteriorated with age.
It is against the law to use fog lamps in anything but fog or snow, it carries a fine, which in my opinion is nowhere near enough.
Hmm possibly the deterioration with age might hold something never really thought about that. I just assumed bulbs work or blow out with age.

There are a number of threads on here in regards upgrading bulbs but they blow out in very short order so are the type that you are suggesting reliable and is there a particular brand that is recommended?
Old 30th December 2018, 17:17   #6
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
If your xenons aren't good enough, then perhaps they aren't aligned correctly If you have self levelling, then perhaps the arms have become dislodged, btw, my fogs are yellow, perfect for fog
The car just passed the MOT recently so I assume that they are aligned correctly.
Old 30th December 2018, 17:23   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Hmm possibly the deterioration with age might hold something never really thought about that. I just assumed bulbs work or blow out with age.

There are a number of threads on here in regards upgrading bulbs but they blow out in very short order so are the type that you are suggesting reliable and is there a particular brand that is recommended?
I've had a pair of 6000k burners from Matty in for about 5 years now, no probs
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 17:35   #8
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

I have never been dazzled by oncoming fogs or even by those who use a rear fog in heavy rain / motorway spray conditions. I do find myself dazzled by these modern xenons and LED headlamps. As previously said the upgrade to 6000k makes a big difference compared to the standard factory xenons.
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 17:44   #9
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

I replaced mine with some purchased from Mat as well, they’ve been in for 2 years and I have to say these too have deteriorated in the last six months, most of my driving is done at night so they get well used.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 17:48   #10
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I’ve found the Xenon lights on all my cars excellent and the Rover is no different. I’m assuming they’re the original bulbs too, it’s a 2001 car and I’ve owned it for seven years
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote