Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2019, 20:32   #1
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default mot

presented my new to me, 3 weeks, cdti connie for test yesterday, passed..
3 advisories, rear upper arms rusty but only surface rust as far as I can see, dust cover on anti roll bar joint and pin with very slight play somewhere.
so very pleased and I would like to thank everyone for the advice given before and since purchase.
So it looks, with your help I may have got a good one
roy 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 20:44   #2
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Congrats on the pass. Happy Rovering !
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 20:50   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Congratulations on the pass.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 21:08   #4
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Congrats... mine is due on Mon so fingers crossed

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 21:12   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

How very dare you for passing an MOT with advisories, Only Joking !
Overall the majority here seem to have a real urge to have a pass with no advisories.
Quite a coincidence as today I had a Corvette in for test, did the history check (Based on the age 1986 vintage) & WOW ! "No advisories/fails for the last 5 years" Somewhat suspicious by my findings, I performed the test, and within 10 minutes it had failed on ...... headlamps were the original spec for the USA, and the beam "Kick-Up" was reversed, thus not suitable for the UK.
It fell at plenty of well established failures clearly not checked or maybe a pub purchased postal test had been performed over recent tests.
Please forgive my sarcasm, but we need to remember that such an appetite for advisory free MOT certificates for our cars is something of a myth due to their age, unless all brake lines have been replaced, all chassis components have been replaced together with every replaceable suspension/steering component and subframes, we are dealing with an unrealistic myth.

I am pleased your car passed, and that you now have knowledge of work required for continued use and enjoyment of the MGR product

Finally, it is my belief that plenty testers are taking many personal & un-calculated risks passing 18+ year old vehicles without any advisories, and the risks can become nightmares for the owner too, as brakes fail due to crusty dangerous rigid brake lines ETC that were not advised or kept secret by persuasion for advisory free results has burst causing potential carnage to human life and other traffic.

I would be very sceptical of such history if prospectively purchasing one of these cars !

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 26th April 2019 at 21:17.. Reason: .
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 21:50   #6
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Roger, please forgive the advisories but I have only had the car 3 weeks.
I think you are correct, how can an owner check a car as the m o t testers do?. I can't even get under mine. So unless thecar has been perfect for the last 11 tests I would expect some advisories unless the car has had a pre m o t test every year.
The rusty rear arms and dust cover, now I have this info I can do something about it before the arms and joint fail and not after.
Possibly the testers give more advisories now to cover themselves.
Anyway I am happy. 15 year old car with all the toys and everything but the sunroof works as it should. Good old british engineering, {well, mostly british }.
and for less than the price of a cheap pushbike.
Roy
Old 27th April 2019, 10:09   #7
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Next time you are under the car give the rear suspension arms a good checking over, Wedgie down the road had advisory on upper arms within 3 months went out in the morning and found nearside arm had broken overnight. Mine had advisories on both upper arms last month, corroded but not substantially weakened. Tuesday this week had upper arms, lower arms bushes and new springs fitted. Upper arm on offside looked rusty until you pushed a screwdriver through it, totally rotten. DMGRS are selling the complete kit.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 02:36   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Next time you are under the car give the rear suspension arms a good checking over, Wedgie down the road had advisory on upper arms within 3 months went out in the morning and found nearside arm had broken overnight. Mine had advisories on both upper arms last month, corroded but not substantially weakened. Tuesday this week had upper arms, lower arms bushes and new springs fitted. Upper arm on offside looked rusty until you pushed a screwdriver through it, totally rotten. DMGRS are selling the complete kit.
Indeed, however I would be tempted to wait and see what the new batch of upper rear arms from Xpart are like, hopefully much better than the current offerings from India

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 10:07   #9
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Yes I will be checking, treating / painting the arms. tester had a good look at them and knew they are weak points on these cars. When are they likely to be available from x part ?. As I intend to keep this car for as long as possible I might as well purchase them in advance as they will fail sooner or later.
Roy