Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th November 2020, 15:56   #21
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I always thought that giving Power of Attorney was relinquishing all rights to the property in that a.n.other could successfully challenge ownership of it?
Old 19th November 2020, 16:51   #22
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

how about MG57ANG? Did the car ever spend time registered in NI, then this plate would be a possibility

Unfortunately a plate can't be used which is younger than the car it is placed on to reduce the chance of misrepresenting the age of the vehicle supposedly.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 18:17   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
how about MG57ANG? Did the car ever spend time registered in NI, then this plate would be a possibility

Unfortunately a plate can't be used which is younger than the car it is placed on to reduce the chance of misrepresenting the age of the vehicle supposedly.
unless it is registered (and I believe previously registered) in NI .

Certainly I could have an MGZ registration on my car - a 2018 dated registration mark. I would have had one, if my plate was not a relatively modern version of a plate my father had on a Metro many years ago. I cannot recall the exact rules, but if it is currently registered or was first registered, in NI, it can have a newer plate. I am not sure if that applies to if it 'ever' was registered.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 18:19   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I always thought that giving Power of Attorney was relinquishing all rights to the property in that a.n.other could successfully challenge ownership of it?
I do not think it relinquishes rights nor ownership, but it allows control by a.n. other.

Old 19th November 2020, 19:09   #25
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
unless it is registered (and I believe previously registered) in NI .

Certainly I could have an MGZ registration on my car - a 2018 dated registration mark. I would have had one, if my plate was not a relatively modern version of a plate my father had on a Metro many years ago. I cannot recall the exact rules, but if it is currently registered or was first registered, in NI, it can have a newer plate. I am not sure if that applies to if it 'ever' was registered.
Any UK car can have any NI plate as they are not age related. A NI car cannot have a newer UK plate than its age.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 19:46   #26
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Any UK car can have any NI plate as they are not age related. A NI car cannot have a newer UK plate than its age.
I had thought an British reg, as long the car was registered in NI could be anything - reading it on a registration site a couple of years ago when MGZ was issued, probably misunderstood it. Stated something like, if the car was registered in NI it was not subject to the age rule, as NI registration was dateless.

I never understood the dateless thing, as growing up, the registrations changed twice a year except for Fermanagh and Londonderry, and dateable, unless it had been re-registered of course . Now they are 3 or even 4 per year - I put this down to the withholding of 1,2,3 digit registrations.

Old 20th November 2020, 14:32   #27
yelnats
Avid contributor

MGZT-T CDTI+135 AUTO

Default Retention plates

Sorry.coming late into this one.I have a cherished plate which I am anxious to protect.What is retention and how does it work,brief details appreciated please.Thans
yelnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 14:38   #28
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

In a nutshell you can hold a registration on a certificate, which is valid for 10 years.
It costs £80 through the DVLA.
T&C apply.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 14:41   #29
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Full info here:-
https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ate-number-off

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 16:46   #30
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I had thought an British reg, as long the car was registered in NI could be anything - reading it on a registration site a couple of years ago when MGZ was issued, probably misunderstood it. Stated something like, if the car was registered in NI it was not subject to the age rule, as NI registration was dateless.

I never understood the dateless thing, as growing up, the registrations changed twice a year except for Fermanagh and Londonderry, and dateable, unless it had been re-registered of course . Now they are 3 or even 4 per year - I put this down to the withholding of 1,2,3 digit registrations.
The ageless NI plates are just that, they don't change twice a year, they change when the relevant county or city, in the case of Belfast and Londonderry, have registered all the plates in that sequence up to 9999.
Ie, Belfast currently issuing 'GZ' plates, and not even sure which letter they are currently on, say its RGZ so they'll issue from RGZ1 up to RGZ9999 (Keeping back the lower 'nice' numbers, 1,2,3, 22,222 etc to sell later) then the next reg letter will start SGZ and so on. Each of our six counties having different 2nd and 3rd letters. Fermanagh and Londonderry are always slower to change letters, obviously registering fewer new cars that Belfast. There are Co. Londonderry and Londonderry City registrations abd Belfast and Co. Antrim registrations just to complicate things further! Any of these plates can be transferred to any UK car because they have no 'age identifier' but the converse is not so, a UK '51' or '55' plate can not go onto a 2004 or older car as it would make it appear newer than it is.

Last edited by Discofan; 20th November 2020 at 16:49..
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote