Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2011, 13:09   #21
Kai Herb
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT+ 2.5 160

I always go by Engine / Variant rather than a "catch all"

As others have said there is no way a 1.8 Zt saloon will put the same load onto the tyres as a V6 Zt Tourer
Kai Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:16   #22
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

To be honest put in what you feel is best for you, the 'recommended' is just a guide, although i wouldn't go to far from it.

On my 420 turbo I tended to put 2 PSI more than was recommended, on my ZT I put 2 PSI less. Its more compliant like that and handling is no worse, in fact its better in the wet.
Old 20th June 2011, 13:28   #23
navrac
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer Conn SE CDTI facelift

The local garage had a faulty gauge and it ended up putting 36 in the front and 38 in the rear.

Missus nearly didn't make the 5 mile journey home - the back swung out on every corner and it almost hopped along the road.
navrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:37   #24
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Remember that the suspension is set up to work with the tyres fitted in the factory. Some brands have stiffer sidewalls than others.

As the suspension wears the tyres should be slightly softer, otherwise the wheel might hop around because the damper isnt able to dampen the whole suspension (yes the damper does dampen the tire as well). This is why i reduced the pressure in my ZT tyres. My 420 turbo had new adjustable Koni units that were very hard, soft tyres would have been an unpleasant experience. Better ride, but the handling would have become unpredictable.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:58   #25
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
the charts are the right pressures ,if your loading the car well up then add a couple of extra pounds .i wouldnt take much notice of the book ,im not telling you this is my opinion ,alot in books is wrong . if in doubt look on the tyre for the manufacturers recommend tyre pressure

Right Mate !!

I HAVE to say this!!

You need to wind your neck in on this one!!!

You are SO SO WRONG !! I just can't belive it!!

1 - You should stick to the hand book preasures!!

2 For Gods sake !! the preasures on the side wall of the tyre are the MAXIMUM that tyre is rated for!! by its makers !! at the maximum load stated !! also stated on the sidewall!!

NOT!! I REPEAT NOT!! to be used if you dont know what the correct preasure for your particular car is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just went outside and read mine!! do you really think that I should just pump them up to 50psi??

Oh and guess what else it has moulded on the sidewall ???

It says PLEASE FOLLOW THE RECOMENDATIONS IN YOUR OWNERS HAND BOOK OR THE TYRE PREASURE PLACARD ON YOUR CAR!!!

It dont come any clearer that THAT!!!!!

I have to say Chrissy I often get a bit of a chuckle at some of your posts!!

But that one is just plain dangerous!!!! - there ARE people on this forum who have no car know how at all and might take your (sorry - well ment probably - but often dubious statements) as gospel!! especialy as you crack on about " being on a training course" or whatever quite often - I can only assume you havent done the tyre one yet??

I will say again!! this ISNT a personal thing here - I dont know you!! but you really shouldnt make statements like that !!

As it often says missuse of this item can cause personal injury or death!! - and not just to/of the person that might follow your post!!

I am saying to anyone reading the above post!!

PLEASE DONT FOLLOW THE ADVISE IN IT!!

USE YOUR HAND BOOK!!!!!

ANDY

Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:06   #26
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy blue tourer View Post
right mate !!

i have to say this!!

you need to wind your neck in on this one!!!

you are so so wrong !! I just can't belive it!!

1 - you should stick to the hand book preasures!!

2 for gods sake !! The preasures on the side wall of the tyre are the maximum that tyre is rated for!! By its makers !! At the maximum load stated !! Also stated on the sidewall!!

not!! I repeat not!! To be used if you dont know what the correct preasure for your particular car is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just went outside and read mine!! Do you really think that i should just pump them up to 50psi??

oh and guess what else it has moulded on the sidewall ???

it says please follow the recomendations in your owners hand book or the tyre preasure placard on your car!!!

it dont come any clearer that that!!!!!

i have to say chrissy i often get a bit of a chuckle at some of your posts!!

but that one is just plain dangerous!!!! - there are people on this forum who have no car know how at all and might take your (sorry - well ment probably - but often dubious statements) as gospel!! Especialy as you crack on about " being on a training course" or whatever quite often - i can only assume you havent done the tyre one yet??

i will say again!! This isnt a personal thing here - i dont know you!! But you really shouldnt make statements like that !!

as it often says missuse of this item can cause personal injury or death!! - and not just to/of the person that might follow your post!!

i am saying to anyone reading the above post!!

please dont follow the advise in it!!

use your hand book!!!!!

andy

i repeat the pressures in the charts are the right pressures....... before you make incorrect statements like this have the evidence to hand .... whatever your wheel size is put the CHARTS RECOMMENDED pressure in the tyres ,then drive the car . i know you will be posting that the car handles much better with the new pressures .....

Last edited by chrissyboy; 20th June 2011 at 17:24..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:45   #27
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The manufacturers spend all that time and money working out what tyre pressures are best for the different versions of the car.........................and it's all wasted because someone thinks that all you need is the size of the wheel.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:52   #28
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Exactly. Its more to do with the suspensions spring rates and damper strength than tyre size. Most cars seem to be around the 30PSI mark, tyre size not withstanding. There are exceptions, some nearer 40, some nearer 20, but 30 is average.

When i bought my car the dealer replaced the rear tyres and put 40PSI in them, it was undrivable. I stopped at the first garage to check, saw the pressure and put 30 in all round.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:54   #29
Kai Herb
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT+ 2.5 160

How does that old adage go......

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Kai Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:59   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Blue Tourer View Post
2 For Gods sake !! the preasures on the side wall of the tyre are the MAXIMUM that tyre is rated for!! by its makers !! at the maximum load stated !! also stated on the sidewall!!

NOT!! I REPEAT NOT!! to be used if you dont know what the correct preasure for your particular car is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. That figure on the tyre is an ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM pressure for the tyre - the pressure beyond which you must not go. It is NOT a recommended pressure for that tyre on your car. Use the handbook recommended pressure for the car, the engine, the wheel size and load it is carrying, perhaps with a couple of pounds adjustment up or down to suite you and the handling.

Less pressure means less efficiency, more contact with the road and tyres generating more heat. More means less contact with the road, less heat generated, a bouncier ride and better mpg.

I set mine up only at home, using a known accurate gauge and check them regularly.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote